Loss of Power Steering...?

  • Chris Trevelyan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
      My 86 535i temporarily lost its power steering today - it started to act funny, then went out, and is now working again, but not properly. It co-incided with a significant loss of coolant (connection??) and I've got some funky new rattle/noise coming from somewhere in the front end, which began at the same time. Fluid levels, other than coolant, all ok. Its going into the shop today - any thought nevertheless?

      Best Regards,
      Chris
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
        Chris:

        You might have a steering fluid leakage, I had the same problem, I was aware
        of it when I heard the rattle noise, which gets louder when steering, you'll
        have to check and seal the fluid reservoir and hoses, hopefully it'll be an
        easy fix.

        As for the plastic disc in the passengers door (where the plastic lock/unlock
        shuold be), I have it on my 84 528i, I thought it was a good do it yourself
        replacement done by the former owner, but now I guess it seems it has some
        purpose (??). Ocasionally when I lock the doors one of the following 2 things
        happen: 1) All doors unlock right after I lock them, 2) back seat door does
        not respond to central locking (so I just turn the key to unlock all and then
        lock again and then all doors lock properly (uhh?).

        I'd also appreciate some insights to correct this problem.

        Thanks,

        Daniel

        Quoting Chris Trevelyan <ctrevelyan@...>:

        > My 86 535i temporarily lost its power steering today - it started to act
        > funny, then went out, and is now working again, but not properly. It
        > co-incided with a significant loss of coolant (connection??) and I've got
        > some funky new rattle/noise coming from somewhere in the front end, which
        > began at the same time. Fluid levels, other than coolant, all ok. Its going
        > into the shop today - any thought nevertheless?
        >

        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Chris

        Banco de Crédito BCP - Dedicados a hacerte la Banca más simple.
        Visita nuestra Banca por Internet http://www.viabcp.com
      • David Brown
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2004
          check your belts. I just checked mine and lost both soon there after. It seems although they are tight, they may be slipping without any noise or complaint. if there is a slippage occuring, you will loose coolant(overheating) and brake feel and drive. I would replace these soon, my gave out after only 10,000 miles on new belts. cost me 250 dollars for a 15 dollar repair. cheers david

        • Michael Orr
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2004
            Well I finally got round to taking the door panels off on my '83 520i to inspect the central locking. There's no wiring or mechanics anywhere near the plastic disc in the passenger's side door, so it looks like there was never any kind of lock/unlock button there. I guess you're just supposed to do the locking from the driver's side? I'm not sure what to check now for the dead central locking. The radio fuse was suggested as a possible culprit but the radio seems to be working fine. I'll maybe try to unearth the control unit and check all the connections...

            One thing I did notice inside the doors was that, under the trim, all the access holes in the door were covered by a clear sticky-backed plastic sheet. This had various rips in it, and had been mended replaced with gaffer tape in several places. Inside the passenger-side door there was quite a lot of moisture - just a couple of mm of water sitting in the bottom, but quite a lot of condensation covering the metal and plastic inside the door. Is this normal? It was a cold day and pretty damp outside, but surely the inside of the doors should be quite dry? I'm concerned that the water will build up and start rusting through. Has anyone any similar experiences?

            Thanks

            Michael

            You might have a steering fluid leakage, I had the same problem, I was aware
            of it when I heard the rattle noise, which gets louder when steering, you'll
            have to check and seal the fluid reservoir and hoses, hopefully it'll be an
            easy fix.

            As for the plastic disc in the passengers door (where the plastic lock/unlock
            shuold be), I have it on my 84 528i, I thought it was a good do it yourself
            replacement done by the former owner, but now I guess it seems it has some
            purpose (??). Ocasionally when I lock the doors one of the following 2 things
            happen: 1) All doors unlock right after I lock them, 2) back seat door does
            not respond to central locking (so I just turn the key to unlock all and then
            lock again and then all doors lock properly (uhh?).

            I'd also appreciate some insights to correct this problem.

            Thanks,

            Daniel

            Quoting Chris Trevelyan <ctrevelyan@...>:

            > My 86 535i temporarily lost its power steering today - it started to act
            > funny, then went out, and is now working again, but not properly. It
            > co-incided with a significant loss of coolant (connection??) and I've got
            > some funky new rattle/noise coming from somewhere in the front end, which
            > began at the same time. Fluid levels, other than coolant, all ok. Its going
            > into the shop today - any thought nevertheless?
            >

            > Best Regards,
            >
            > Chris

            _____

            This e-mail is confidential and is intended for the named recipient only. If
            you receive it in error please destroy the message and all copies. Kainos
            Software Ltd. does not accept liability for damage sustained as a result of
            malicious software (e.g. viruses). Kainos does not accept liability for, or
            permit, the creation of contracts on its behalf by e-mail, the publication of
            any defamatory statement by its employees by e-mail, or changes subsequently
            made to the original message. The Company's registered office is located at
            4-6 Upper Crescent, Belfast, BT7 1NT, Northern Ireland, Tel +44 28 9057 1100.

          • jeroenkrijnen
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 8, 2004
              --- In bmwe28@..., "Michael Orr" <M.Orr@k...> wrote:
              > Well I finally got round to taking the door panels off on my '83
              520i to inspect the central locking. There's no wiring or mechanics
              anywhere near the plastic disc in the passenger's side door, so it
              looks like there was never any kind of lock/unlock button there. I
              guess you're just supposed to do the locking from the driver's
              side? I'm not sure what to check now for the dead central locking.
              The radio fuse was suggested as a possible culprit but the radio
              seems to be working fine. I'll maybe try to unearth the control
              unit and check all the connections...

              > One thing I did notice inside the doors was that, under the trim,
              all the access holes in the door were covered by a clear sticky-
              backed plastic sheet. This had various rips in it, and had been
              mended replaced with gaffer tape in several places. Inside the
              passenger-side door there was quite a lot of moisture - just a
              couple of mm of water sitting in the bottom, but quite a lot of
              condensation covering the metal and plastic inside the door. Is
              this normal? It was a cold day and pretty damp outside, but surely
              the inside of the doors should be quite dry? I'm concerned that the
              water will build up and start rusting through. Has anyone any
              similar experiences?

              > Thanks
              >

              > Michael

              Service.

              of Service <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> .

              > This e-mail is confidential and is intended for the named
              recipient only. If
              > you receive it in error please destroy the message and all copies.
              Kainos
              > Software Ltd. does not accept liability for damage sustained as a
              result of
              > malicious software (e.g. viruses). Kainos does not accept
              liability for, or
              > permit, the creation of contracts on its behalf by e-mail, the
              publication of
              > any defamatory statement by its employees by e-mail, or changes
              subsequently
              > made to the original message. The Company's registered office is
              located at
              > 4-6 Upper Crescent, Belfast, BT7 1NT, Northern Ireland, Tel +44 28
              9057 1100.

            • william ripley
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 8, 2004
                -
                hi everyone

                bill from canada. as far as the door's unlocking i
                find that whwn one of the doors is not shut properly
                my locks will not engage. i always lock from the trunk
                ( 88 535i) as my driversb side lock is busted , but i
                don't lock my keys in the car that way.

                i also have a leak in my power steering . it seems to
                be coming from ( faceing the car from the front )
                right side ,back. there is a little looks like a plug
                with a 2 wire jacks attached to it. i just got the
                haines manual and am trying to find out what it's
                called .

                good luck with the doors

                bill

                =====
                Bill Ripley

                bilripley@...

              • okareka12000
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 11, 2004
                  Both my '82 5201's have the plastic cap on the front passenger(LH)
                  door. According to my local BMW dealer, the driver's door is supposed
                  to have the cap, but it somehow got lost in the translation from LHD
                  to RHD. Problem is that the linkage is different in the door with the
                  cap.There is a rod from the electric actuator to a cam om the
                  mechanical part of the lock. On doors with the push down button,this
                  rod passes through the cam and on up to the button.On the door with
                  the cap, the rod stops at the cam.Check the operation of your
                  driver's door key barrel. There is a lock cut out built into that and
                  if the barrel does not move freely that microswitch can stick.Best
                  bet is to get some CRC CO contact cleaner and spray everything in
                  sight.Works for me!! Regards, Dave.
                  82 520i (117323 miles)
                  82 520i (333200km)

                  > > Moving house? Beach bar in Thailand? New Wardrobe? Win £10k
                  with Yahoo!
                  > > Mail to make your dream a reality.
                  > >
                  > > Get Yahoo! Mail www.yahoo.co.uk/10k

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor