prestone coolant

  • greg_collen
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 23, 2004
      Does it have phosphates in it? If so, its not recommended by BMW. Im
      sure the regular prestone coolant has phosphates. The BMW stuff is
      overpriced on the other hand its only replaced every 2 years.
    • Ron Kall
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 24, 2004
        Hi Greg,

        There have been a few reports that I have seen
        published on the net that rank the coolants. Peak is
        total crap. Prestone is marginal. Phosphates is an
        issue for sure. There was something I saw that said
        Toyota Red or Mazda or Honda made a really good
        coolant for maybe $7.00 a gallon list? I mean every
        bit as good as BMW blue for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost. This
        was a separate posting that was not part of the other
        official studies.

        Has anyone seen this?

        --- greg_collen <greg_collen@...> wrote:

        > Does it have phosphates in it? If so, its not
        > recommended by BMW. Im
        > sure the regular prestone coolant has phosphates.
        > The BMW stuff is
        > overpriced on the other hand its only replaced every
        > 2 years.

        =====
        Ron Kall
        Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

        1986 528e
        1985 535i

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Steve Haygood
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 24, 2004
          7-8.00 is less that Prestone around here right now. The antifreeze that I am using and selling is MBenz at 10.50
          Steve
          There have been a few reports that I have seen
          published on the net that rank the coolants. Peak is
          total crap. Prestone is marginal. Phosphates is an
          issue for sure. There was something I saw that said
          Toyota Red or Mazda or Honda made a really good
          coolant for maybe $7.00 a gallon list? I mean every
          bit as good as BMW blue for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost. This
          was a separate posting that was not part of the other
          official studies.

          Has anyone seen this?

          --- greg_collen <greg_collen@...> wrote:

          > Does it have phosphates in it? If so, its not
          > recommended by BMW. Im
          > sure the regular prestone coolant has phosphates.
          > The BMW stuff is
          > overpriced on the other hand its only replaced every
          > 2 years.

          =====
          Ron Kall
          Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

          1986 528e
          1985 535i

        • Ron Kall
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 2004
            Any thoughts on surging idle speed between 650 rpm
            normal and 1700 rpm. This happens only off and on. It
            seems to come and go. New plugs, new cap, new rotor,
            new wires, new O2 sensor, recent valve adjustment. I
            suspect ICV. I cleaned it once before with carb
            cleaner and the problem went away for awhile?

            =====
            Ron Kall
            Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

            1986 528e
            1985 535i

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Darrell Davis
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 2004
              hey Ron, try i.c.c. under the dash, and popped fuse
              for the same. e-30's do that all the time, it kills
              the sig. for the computer. happy motoring. Z.

              http://my.yahoo.com
            • ken@kenholyoak.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 28, 2004
                I have a stuttering engine and it has been suggested that I use a Wynn's
                Injector Cleaner Kit.

                Plug are new but car still idles low and wants to stall at light. Seems very
                ruff going as you accelerate.

                Kenneth H. Holyoak
                Information+Insight=Profit
                HIG, LLC
                Mail
                POB 68633
                Indianapolis IN 46268-0633
                UPS
                1508 E 86th Street Suite 177
                Indianapolis IN 46240

                ken@...

                317-253-7000 FAX 317-255-3708

              • Ron Kall
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 28, 2004
                  Ken,

                  My 528e was like that and the cause was 80k without
                  adjusting the valves. The valve adjustment brought the
                  car right back into line. It was amazing. I have
                  really never cleaned the injectors. I use ARCO or
                  whatever I can find and it's 270k miles so far.

                  --- ken@... wrote:

                  > I have a stuttering engine and it has been suggested
                  > that I use a Wynn's
                  > Injector Cleaner Kit.
                  >
                  > Plug are new but car still idles low and wants to
                  > stall at light. Seems very
                  > ruff going as you accelerate.
                  >
                  > �
                  > �
                  > �
                  > �
                  > Kenneth H.�Holyoak
                  > Information+Insight=Profit
                  > HIG, LLC�
                  > Mail
                  > POB 68633
                  > Indianapolis IN 46268-0633
                  > UPS
                  > 1508 E 86th Street Suite 177
                  > Indianapolis IN 46240
                  > �
                  > ken@...
                  > �
                  > 317-253-7000 FAX 317-255-3708
                  > �

                  =====
                  Ron Kall
                  Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

                  1986 528e
                  1985 535i

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                • greg_collen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
                    Have you tried using Techron or Redline? I use the Techron.