Central locking

  • bm0p700f
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2005
      Hi Resently bought a E28 528i auto 1987 Uk spec. Love driving it but....

      A few electrical problem can any one help.

      1) Central locking does not work at all. Turn a key and only that
      dor/boot lock /unlocks. At aleast I can open it the old fashioned way.

      Bought a bentley manuel to help troubleshoot but I am having
      difficulty knowing the best place to start. All the other electrical
      systems conecected to fuse 5 (8amp white) appear to be working apart
      from the cruise control. So if this fuse has blown then surely all
      system connected ewith this fuse wouldn't work right?

      2) cruiecontrol simpley doesnot work but again all other systems
      associated with fuse 6 (8 amp White) also work. The Bently's manual
      just give a horrid circuit diagram. I thick I understand just but just
      do'nt know were any of the bit are.

      3) headlamp washer/wiper system. Not to bothered about this but are
      there any obvious faults to check for. Bentley's manual doesnot help
      at all here.

      Otherewise I do fancy converting it to a manual. Is this possible?

      Can any one recomend a good perforance camshaft to increase
      power/torque output across a wide range of engine speeds. I use the
      car daily so it can't a street racing part.

      I hope someome can help with the electrical faults

      Malcolm Borg

      Suffolk UK

      1987 528i SE
    • yonkyjonah
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 27, 2005
        > 1) Central locking does not work at all.....

        Can't help with this one!

        > 2) Cruise control simply does not work.......

        Any problems with the instrument cluster? Do all your service lights
        work? I may be wrong but I understand that if the SI batteries are
        knackered the cruise control won't work.

        > 3) headlamp washer/wiper system....

        This is an easy fix, remove and place in nearest bin.

        > I do fancy converting it to a manual. Is this possible?

        It's possible but easier to sell it and buy a manual.

        > Can any one recommend a good performance camshaft........

        Don't bother, for the most bang for your buck replace your 2.8 with a
        3.5, lots about in scrap 6's and 7's.

        Hope that's some help Malcolm.