Bizzare running problem

  • stratguy16
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2005
      I have an '87 535is with a weird running problem that occurs
      intermitently. If i'm sitting at a light, it will run fine and then
      suddenly start idling at 1500rpm (up from 700) and will try to stall
      with throttle application( the more throttle, the faster the revs
      drop). some people say it's leaning out to extremes, but that
      doesn't explain the high idle. And if you turn it off it won't
      restart. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.
    • griffin affelsauce
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2005
        i sort of of had a similar poblem recently where it was running really rough
        and stalling with throttle application. my mechanic said it was getting too
        much gas and that fouled the spark plugs

        griffin
        87 535is

        >From: "stratguy16" <stratguy16@...>
        >To: bmwe28@...
        >Subject: [bmw e28] Bizzare running problem
        >Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:46:40 -0000
        >

        >I have an '87 535is with a weird running problem that occurs
        >intermitently. If i'm sitting at a light, it will run fine and then
        >suddenly start idling at 1500rpm (up from 700) and will try to stall
        >with throttle application( the more throttle, the faster the revs
        >drop). some people say it's leaning out to extremes, but that
        >doesn't explain the high idle. And if you turn it off it won't
        >restart. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

      • Ron Kall
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2005
          easy and common - idle control valve - clean it first
          with gumout, if no luck, buy a new one. bentley has an
          electronic test procedure - sounds complex though. you
          are sure that you have no vacuum leaks? first probable
          cause, you know.

          --- griffin affelsauce <griffinaffelsauce@...>
          wrote:

          > i sort of of had a similar poblem recently where it
          > was running really rough
          > and stalling with throttle application. my mechanic
          > said it was getting too
          > much gas and that fouled the spark plugs
          >
          > griffin
          > 87 535is
          >
          > >From: "stratguy16" <stratguy16@...>
          > >To: bmwe28@...
          > >Subject: [bmw e28] Bizzare running problem
          > >Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:46:40 -0000
          > >

          > >I have an '87 535is with a weird running problem
          > that occurs
          > >intermitently. If i'm sitting at a light, it will
          > run fine and then
          > >suddenly start idling at 1500rpm (up from 700) and
          > will try to stall
          > >with throttle application( the more throttle, the
          > faster the revs
          > >drop). some people say it's leaning out to
          > extremes, but that
          > >doesn't explain the high idle. And if you turn it
          > off it won't
          > >restart. Anything would be helpful. Thanks.

          =====
          Ron Kall
          Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

          1986 528e