88 535is rough idle

  • guydicesare2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 16, 2005
      Hey there. this is my first post. have 88 535is. ran very rough,
      stalls when stopping when it's hot and when AC is on. replaced idle
      air stabilizer, didn't work. mechanic did something to air intake
      that took 30 seconds, then told me it was a means to an end but
      wasn't "good" OR "right" any ideas re: a real solution ?(i.e. the
      correct fix?)alves, plugs, wires, cap, plugs are new and OEM.Any
      info would be appreciated. I've spent a RIDICULOUS amount of cash on
      this already. Also, anyone have a line on a new spoiler, new
      aluminum window moulding (at a reasonable price) and other parts?
      Thanks. Guy D
    • Ron Kall
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 17, 2005
        hi all,

        this is a long shot, but does anyone still have the
        original muffler, cat back to the tailpipe in place.
        where does the heat shield go. my passenger side inner
        cv boot was cooked I think by the cheap Bosal
        replacement OEM? muffler. I just replaced the half
        shaft and I wire up the heat shield to the muffler
        with copper 10 guage wire just over the cv boot? I saw
        somewhere that the BMW original muffler had a place to
        screw in the heat shield. I ordered the heat shield
        when I ordered the Bosal online - price was good, but
        there was no place to mount the heat shield. thanks,

        =====
        Ron Kall
        Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

        1986 528e
        1985 535i

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • andrew graham

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 29, 2005
            Hey you might want to look at your fuel pressure regulator, if the
            fuel pump is whining a bit it could be that, I too have this problem
            and it seems to be surge at random times when the car has warmed up
            , I replaced the idle control valve and the fuel pressure regulator
            but still haven't really fixed it. What the hell is a "silver
            looking air dam" doing in the engine bay?, i thought air dams were
            aero part at the front of a car. lol

            actually i removed the connector for the ICV this afternoon and
            nothing happened to the idle speed does this mean the control unit
            for the idle is stuffed, I have an 1982 528i (m30B28 engine).
            --- In bmwe28@..., andrew graham <thelast_graham@y...>
            wrote:
            > i think the "rough idle" could be caused by a hole (leak) infront
            of the airflow sencer behind the silver looking air dam in the
            intake system..... (silver looking air dam -dont know real part
            name) that is the problem with my 87 535is right now......i just
            duck taped it for now....until i get a new one.... the new part
            costs $40 from dealer.... -andrew

            > guydicesare2000 <guydicesare2000@y...> wrote:
            > Hey there. this is my first post. have 88 535is. ran very rough,
            > stalls when stopping when it's hot and when AC is on. replaced
            idle
            > air stabilizer, didn't work. mechanic did something to air intake
            > that took 30 seconds, then told me it was a means to an end but
            > wasn't "good" OR "right" any ideas re: a real solution ?(i.e. the
            > correct fix?)alves, plugs, wires, cap, plugs are new and OEM.Any
            > info would be appreciated. I've spent a RIDICULOUS amount of cash
            on
            > this already. Also, anyone have a line on a new spoiler, new
            > aluminum window moulding (at a reasonable price) and other parts?
            > Thanks. Guy D

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • Frances Camara
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 29, 2005
              Hay,
              yeah your right it is my air flow senser.
              i've been everywhere trying to find out why my 85 520i continuously cuts out on me whilst driving and has an extremly rough idle.
              Bascically i was told its my air flow senser and because i have vacum hose leaks.that doesnt help.
              thanks for the help,i might try the duck tape for know untill i buy one,i'm probally getting one this thursday but its going to cost me $180,its expensive in australia to buy parts.
              takecare
              chao

              wrote:
              > i think the "rough idle" could be caused by a hole (leak) infront
              of the airflow sencer behind the silver looking air dam in the
              intake system..... (silver looking air dam -dont know real part
              name) that is the problem with my 87 535is right now......i just
              duck taped it for now....until i get a new one.... the new part
              costs $40 from dealer.... -andrew

              > guydicesare2000 <guydicesare2000@y...> wrote:
              > Hey there. this is my first post. have 88 535is. ran very rough,
              > stalls when stopping when it's hot and when AC is on. replaced
              idle
              > air stabilizer, didn't work. mechanic did something to air intake
              > that took 30 seconds, then told me it was a means to an end but
              > wasn't "good" OR "right" any ideas re: a real solution ?(i.e. the
              > correct fix?)alves, plugs, wires, cap, plugs are new and OEM.Any
              > info would be appreciated. I've spent a RIDICULOUS amount of cash
              on
              > this already. Also, anyone have a line on a new spoiler, new
              > aluminum window moulding (at a reasonable price) and other parts?
              > Thanks. Guy D

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Service.

            • Guy DiCesare
              Message 6 of 14 , 4 Nov 20:42
                HI everyone. I'm just about done with my 88 535is.
                I've replaced SO much on this car and it still idles
                badly. Can someone help cut through the murk? .... OK.
                I've replaced fuel pressure regulator, idle air
                stabilizer, auxiliary fuel pump and have tuned it. Now
                the mechanic states "attempted to adjust idle CO
                mixture-screw was completely unresponsive-probable bad
                airflow meter". NOW: I have disconnected the new
                idle air stabilizer and the RPM's did NOT change
                although my chilton manual says it should increase RPM
                to around 2000. is the new idle air stabilizer no
                good? Can you enlighten me (in layman's terms) as to
                what the problem might be , how to check and how to
                fix it? I've given this car everything I have and it
                still runs rough and misses . Please advise, and
                thanks in advance for your help. Guy

                __________________________________
                http://farechase.yahoo.com
              • tim hardin
                Message 7 of 14 , 5 Nov 06:03
                  you found it. stabilizer should exchanged under warranty

                  Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@...> wrote:HI everyone. I'm just about done with my 88 535is.

                • Guy DiCesare
                  Message 8 of 14 , 6 Nov 12:48
                    Thanks Tim. Guy

                    --- tim hardin <tdamionhardin@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > ran very rough,
                    > > > stalls when stopping when it's hot and when AC
                    > is
                    > > on. replaced
                    > > idle
                    > > > air stabilizer, didn't work. mechanic did
                    > > something to air intake
                    > > > that took 30 seconds, then told me it was a
                    > means
                    > > to an end but
                    > > > wasn't "good" OR "right" any ideas re: a real
                    > > solution ?(i.e. the
                    > > > correct fix?)alves, plugs, wires, cap, plugs are
                    > > new and OEM.Any
                    > > > info would be appreciated. I've spent a
                    > RIDICULOUS
                    > > amount of cash
                    > > on
                    > > > this already. Also, anyone have a line on a new
                    > > spoiler, new
                    > > > aluminum window moulding (at a reasonable price)

                    === message truncated ===

                    __________________________________
                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Guy DiCesare
                    Message 9 of 14 , 6 Nov 12:52
                      Hi everyone. Next on the list is a blocked sunroof
                      drain (any suggestions as to how to clear this?) and
                      heat that's warm sometimes (rarely, actually) and
                      lukewarm most of the time. Any thoughts on what's
                      causing this? Also, can you recommend a beter repair
                      manual than Chilton? It's pretty incomplete. Thanks in
                      advance, Guy

                      === message truncated ===

                      __________________________________
                    • tim hardin
                      Message 10 of 14 , 6 Nov 13:29
                        the sunroof drains out the side vents located behind the rear seat side windows on the exteriour of the car. use a coat hanger with a single layer of duct tape applyied to the whole length of it to prevent paint damage and very carefully go in from the vents. pull frequently looking for evidence of decomposing leafy matter. use water from the roof gutters to flush the material out with the help of the hanger to get an exit path re- established. repeat until the water runns clear. heat....if the heat works at a stop light and then cools as you go down the road in cool weather, then your fresh air inlets are not closing properly. i do not know the proper fix, but a practical one is to duct tape the inlets area located on the firewall both left and right. note....this also work if you get hot air coming in during hot days....canceling out the ac effectivness, the hot air comes in through the defroster vents. taping off the inlets will render fresh air functions on the ventalation system
                        useless.

                        Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@...> wrote:Hi everyone. Next on the list is a blocked sunroof

                        === message truncated ===

                      • David Rodriguez
                        Message 11 of 14 , 6 Nov 19:36
                          To clean the drains:

                          Don't use a coat hanger. Use weed eater/grass trimmer
                          line. It bends easily and is forceful when guided by
                          the sides of the tunnel of the drain lines. It also
                          won't cause any damage to the inside of the drain
                          lines. If you damage them or somehow remove the paint
                          that protects them it could cause more problems down
                          the line. I have done this twice before and it works
                          like a charm. I would use at least .80 line or higher
                          to do this. Open the sun roof and go in from the
                          drains on either side towards the front of the car.
                          The drain inlets are quite large about the size of a
                          dime in circumference. Feed it in until it is
                          blocked. If blocked, go back and forth until it frees
                          the blockage. It seemed like I had feed 10ft of line
                          through the drains when I was complete.

                          === message truncated ===

                          __________________________________
                        • Robert Allan
                          Message 12 of 14 , 7 Nov 13:37
                            That may mean that the circuitry that controls the idle air
                            stabiliser (aka idle control valve) is stuffed....... i had exactly
                            the same thing happen to me (ie disconnect no change in idle), It
                            was really weird but i don't think its the idle control valve and i
                            still haven't gotten to the bottom of it, mind you my car only has
                            some slight crazy rpm action when it is hot. anyway i am getting an
                            e34 so i don't really care too much anymore.

                            --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@y...>

                          • Guy DiCesare
                            Message 13 of 14 , 12 Nov 17:01
                              Thanks. It's done and it drains well now. Take care,
                              Guy

                              === message truncated ===

                              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            • Guy DiCesare
                              Message 14 of 14 , 12 Nov 17:05
                                Thanks Tim. I've orderd the part. Cheers, Guy

                                === message truncated ===