Nice new sound...

  • Chris Trevelyan
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2005
      Hi,

      I have an 86 535i, and other other day it developed quite a loud rattle towards the rear - more of a metal on metal grind or knock noise that gets significantly louder when I take the foot off the gas and coast. I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with the wheels, nor anything knocking like a loose exhaust, and one guess is the CV joint. The odd thing is that it was quite loud (easily heard outside the car), but then after driving on the highway (to get home) the noise completely went away!
      Any thoughts at all what to look for/possibilities?

      Best Regards,
      Chris
      86 535i
      Canada

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2005
        i had some cv joint issues recently but the knocking only occured during
        acceleration, was silent while coasting and a rubbing while engine
        braking/decelleration. so i don't think that would be your problem but i
        couldn't say for sure.
        hope that helps a little.
        griffin
        87 535is

        >From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@...>
        >To: <bmwe28@...>
        >Subject: [bmw e28] Nice new sound...
        >Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:06:11 -0800
        >
        >Hi,
        >
        > I have an 86 535i, and other other day it developed quite a loud
        >rattle towards the rear - more of a metal on metal grind or knock noise
        >that gets significantly louder when I take the foot off the gas and coast.
        >I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with the wheels, nor anything knocking
        >like a loose exhaust, and one guess is the CV joint. The odd thing is that
        >it was quite loud (easily heard outside the car), but then after driving on
        >the highway (to get home) the noise completely went away!
        >Any thoughts at all what to look for/possibilities?
        >
        >Best Regards,
        >Chris
        >86 535i
        >Canada

      • Chris Trevelyan
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2005
          Hi,

          Thanks for the comments, and it at this point it seems your right - not a cv joint issue. Wish me luck on this one - the jury's still out!

          Take Care,
          Chris

          86 535i
          i had some cv joint issues recently but the knocking only occured during
          acceleration, was silent while coasting and a rubbing while engine
          braking/decelleration. so i don't think that would be your problem but i
          couldn't say for sure.
          hope that helps a little.
          griffin
          87 535is

          >From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@...>
          >To: <bmwe28@...>
          >Subject: [bmw e28] Nice new sound...
          >Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:06:11 -0800
          >
          >Hi,
          >
          > I have an 86 535i, and other other day it developed quite a loud
          >rattle towards the rear - more of a metal on metal grind or knock noise
          >that gets significantly louder when I take the foot off the gas and coast.
          >I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with the wheels, nor anything knocking
          >like a loose exhaust, and one guess is the CV joint. The odd thing is that
          >it was quite loud (easily heard outside the car), but then after driving on
          >the highway (to get home) the noise completely went away!
          >Any thoughts at all what to look for/possibilities?
          >
          >Best Regards,
          >Chris
          >86 535i
          >Canada

        • dave ruiz
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
            Just wondering if you have checked your driveshaft center bearing. The sound
            you describe is a classic symptom for it. -Dave Ruiz

            If you plant poison ivy, you won't harvest strawberries. - William Stephens
            When I die, I want to die like my grandfather-- who died peacefully in
            his sleep.
            Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."
            --Author Unknown

          • trev_sanders5
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
              Check you flex disc it may be torn i just tore mine. It is in
              between the driveshaft and transmission. Im new to the group so i
              hope i did this post correctly.
              --- In bmwe28@..., "dave ruiz" <daveruiz50@h...> wrote:
              > Just wondering if you have checked your driveshaft center bearing.
              The sound
              > you describe is a classic symptom for it. -Dave Ruiz
              >

              > If you plant poison ivy, you won't harvest strawberries. - William
              Stephens
              > When I die, I want to die like my grandfather-- who died
              peacefully in
              > his sleep.
              > Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."
              > --Author Unknown
              >

              > >From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@t...>
              > >To: <bmwe28@...>
              > >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] Nice new sound...
              > >Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:40:49 -0800
              > >
              > >Hi,
              > >
              > >Thanks for the comments, and it at this point it seems your
              right - not a
              > >cv joint issue. Wish me luck on this one - the jury's still out!
              > >
              > >Take Care,
              > >Chris
              > >
              > >86 535i

              Terms of
              > > >Service.

              > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              of
              > >Service.

              > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
              it's FREE!
            • Trevor Sanders
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 12, 2005
                check your brakes I had this really loud noise on my 3er and i thought it was a bearing but it was my brakes they werent clamping evenly so the metal edge of the brake pad was hitting the rotor

                Chris Trevelyan <ctrevelyan@...> wrote:Hi,

                Thanks for this - the problem is as still unresolved. The oddest thing is, it vanishes completely at times, but every so often returns, and it can be extremely loud or barely audible, so its proving hard ti pin down. Hmmmm....

                Take Care,
                Chris
                Check you flex disc it may be torn i just tore mine. It is in
                between the driveshaft and transmission. Im new to the group so i
                hope i did this post correctly.
                --- In bmwe28@..., "dave ruiz" <daveruiz50@h...> wrote:
                > Just wondering if you have checked your driveshaft center bearing.
                The sound
                > you describe is a classic symptom for it. -Dave Ruiz
                >

                > If you plant poison ivy, you won't harvest strawberries. - William
                Stephens
                > When I die, I want to die like my grandfather-- who died
                peacefully in
                > his sleep.
                > Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."
                > --Author Unknown
                >

                > >From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@t...>
                > >To: <bmwe28@...>
                > >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] Nice new sound...
                > >Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:40:49 -0800
                > >
                > >Hi,
                > >
                > >Thanks for the comments, and it at this point it seems your
                right - not a
                > >cv joint issue. Wish me luck on this one - the jury's still out!
                > >
                > >Take Care,
                > >Chris
                > >
                > >86 535i

                Terms of
                > > >Service.

                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                of
                > >Service.

                > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
                it's FREE!

              • Trevor Sanders
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 12, 2005
                  Yes mine was the same way, when i was trying to diagnose the problem i thought it couldnt have been the brakes

                  Chris Trevelyan <ctrevelyan@...> wrote:Thanks - the thing is, the mystery noise is loudest when one takes the foot off the gas and coasts - and so far I've noticed no connection between braking and the noise - I don't know how this symptom fits in with the brake idea...

                  Take Care,
                  Chris

                  Check you flex disc it may be torn i just tore mine. It is in
                  between the driveshaft and transmission. Im new to the group so i
                  hope i did this post correctly.
                  --- In bmwe28@..., "dave ruiz" <daveruiz50@h...> wrote:
                  > Just wondering if you have checked your driveshaft center bearing.
                  The sound
                  > you describe is a classic symptom for it. -Dave Ruiz
                  >

                  > If you plant poison ivy, you won't harvest strawberries. - William
                  Stephens
                  > When I die, I want to die like my grandfather-- who died
                  peacefully in
                  > his sleep.
                  > Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."
                  > --Author Unknown
                  >

                  > >From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@t...>
                  > >To: <bmwe28@...>
                  > >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] Nice new sound...
                  > >Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:40:49 -0800
                  > >
                  > >Hi,
                  > >
                  > >Thanks for the comments, and it at this point it seems your
                  right - not a
                  > >cv joint issue. Wish me luck on this one - the jury's still out!
                  > >
                  > >Take Care,
                  > >Chris
                  > >
                  > >86 535i

                  Terms of
                  > > >Service.

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  of
                  > >Service.

                  > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
                  it's FREE!

                • Chris Trevelyan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 12, 2005
                    Hi,

                    Thanks for this - the problem is as still unresolved. The oddest thing is, it vanishes completely at times, but every so often returns, and it can be extremely loud or barely audible, so its proving hard ti pin down. Hmmmm....

                    Take Care,
                    Chris
                    Check you flex disc it may be torn i just tore mine. It is in
                    between the driveshaft and transmission. Im new to the group so i
                    hope i did this post correctly.
                    --- In bmwe28@..., "dave ruiz" <daveruiz50@h...> wrote:
                    > Just wondering if you have checked your driveshaft center bearing.
                    The sound
                    > you describe is a classic symptom for it. -Dave Ruiz
                    >

                    > If you plant poison ivy, you won't harvest strawberries. - William
                    Stephens
                    > When I die, I want to die like my grandfather-- who died
                    peacefully in
                    > his sleep.
                    > Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."
                    > --Author Unknown
                    >

                    > >From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@t...>
                    > >To: <bmwe28@...>
                    > >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] Nice new sound...
                    > >Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:40:49 -0800
                    > >
                    > >Hi,
                    > >
                    > >Thanks for the comments, and it at this point it seems your
                    right - not a
                    > >cv joint issue. Wish me luck on this one - the jury's still out!
                    > >
                    > >Take Care,
                    > >Chris
                    > >
                    > >86 535i

                    Terms of
                    > > >Service.

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    of
                    > >Service.

                    > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
                    it's FREE!

                  • Chris Trevelyan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 12, 2005
                      Thanks - the thing is, the mystery noise is loudest when one takes the foot off the gas and coasts - and so far I've noticed no connection between braking and the noise - I don't know how this symptom fits in with the brake idea...

                      Take Care,
                      Chris

                      Check you flex disc it may be torn i just tore mine. It is in
                      between the driveshaft and transmission. Im new to the group so i
                      hope i did this post correctly.
                      --- In bmwe28@..., "dave ruiz" <daveruiz50@h...> wrote:
                      > Just wondering if you have checked your driveshaft center bearing.
                      The sound
                      > you describe is a classic symptom for it. -Dave Ruiz
                      >

                      > If you plant poison ivy, you won't harvest strawberries. - William
                      Stephens
                      > When I die, I want to die like my grandfather-- who died
                      peacefully in
                      > his sleep.
                      > Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."
                      > --Author Unknown
                      >

                      > >From: "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@t...>
                      > >To: <bmwe28@...>
                      > >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] Nice new sound...
                      > >Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:40:49 -0800
                      > >
                      > >Hi,
                      > >
                      > >Thanks for the comments, and it at this point it seems your
                      right - not a
                      > >cv joint issue. Wish me luck on this one - the jury's still out!
                      > >
                      > >Take Care,
                      > >Chris
                      > >
                      > >86 535i

                      Terms of