Brake light warning light?

  • Barry Mercer
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
      I keep getting a brake light warning light when I start my '86 528e
      US model. Then when I step on the brake it goes out. I checked the
      grounds, and cleaned the front and rear ground. I also made sure
      that the ground plate on the tail lights were both properly
      grounded. One of the brake light sockets is developing some
      electrical scaling on the contact on the ground side, but after
      cleaning, and replacing the bulbs, it did not change the warning
      light. When the car is driven it makes a "pop" in the speakers like
      it has a bad ground and you hit a bump. Then sometimes the warning
      light comes on, and will not turn off when you hit the brake, until
      you turn the car off and back on again. It may be a bad brake light
      switch, but I want to get the replacement switch before tearing it
      apart. Any ideas or similar problems?

      thanks,
      VMEBarry
    • Ed MacVaugh
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
        Reading the manual, that is the way it is supposed to work. The circuit
        cannot check the bulbs until you press the pedal.

        Brass based bulbs can cause the intermittent light illumination.

        Don't think the pop in the speakers is related.

        Ed

        Barry Mercer wrote:

        > I keep getting a brake light warning light when I start my '86 528e
        > US model. Then when I step on the brake it goes out. I checked the
        > grounds, and cleaned the front and rear ground. I also made sure
        > that the ground plate on the tail lights were both properly
        > grounded. One of the brake light sockets is developing some
        > electrical scaling on the contact on the ground side, but after
        > cleaning, and replacing the bulbs, it did not change the warning
        > light.

      • Phil Davis
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
          This is how the system works, it doesn't know if the
          brake lights work till you push the brake pedal to
          activate the brake lights. Use silver base Phillips
          brand bulbs, also some silicone bulb grease will keep
          the scokets in good shape and free of corrosion.
          Phil

          --- Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@...> wrote:

          > Reading the manual, that is the way it is supposed
          > to work. The circuit
          > cannot check the bulbs until you press the pedal.
          >
          > Brass based bulbs can cause the intermittent light
          > illumination.
          >
          > Don't think the pop in the speakers is related.
          >
          > Ed
          >
          > Barry Mercer wrote:
          >

          > > I keep getting a brake light warning light when I
          > start my '86 528e
          > > US model. Then when I step on the brake it goes
          > out. I checked the
          > > grounds, and cleaned the front and rear ground. I
          > also made sure
          > > that the ground plate on the tail lights were both
          > properly
          > > grounded. One of the brake light sockets is
          > developing some
          > > electrical scaling on the contact on the ground
          > side, but after
          > > cleaning, and replacing the bulbs, it did not
          > change the warning
          > > light.
          >

          > --
          > Date: 2/25/2005

          http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
        • Barry Mercer
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
            Yes there is a check system, but it did not always light up when the
            car was
            turned on. It only pops when you hit a bump, or press the brake
            peddle. It
            has to be related to a short in the circuit somewhere. The radio,
            mileage
            computer and the glove box are on the same circut. The Speedo and
            the Tack
            will also take a dive when it shorts, so it is a short some where?
            It has
            not blown the fuse though. Perplexing as it may be, it may just be a
            bad
            brake light switch. I am going to pull the lower panel and check it
            next.

            Thanks for your ideas!
            Barry

            --- In bmwe28@..., Phil Davis <pld1952@y...> wrote:
            > This is how the system works, it doesn't know if the
            > brake lights work till you push the brake pedal to
            > activate the brake lights. Use silver base Phillips
            > brand bulbs, also some silicone bulb grease will keep
            > the scokets in good shape and free of corrosion.
            > Phil
            >
            > --- Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@c...> wrote:
            >
            > > Reading the manual, that is the way it is supposed
            > > to work. The circuit
            > > cannot check the bulbs until you press the pedal.
            > >
            > > Brass based bulbs can cause the intermittent light
            > > illumination.
            > >
            > > Don't think the pop in the speakers is related.
            > >
            > > Ed
            > >
            > > Barry Mercer wrote:
            > >

            > > > I keep getting a brake light warning light when I
            > > start my '86 528e
            > > > US model. Then when I step on the brake it goes
            > > out. I checked the
            > > > grounds, and cleaned the front and rear ground. I
            > > also made sure
            > > > that the ground plate on the tail lights were both
            > > properly
            > > > grounded. One of the brake light sockets is
            > > developing some
            > > > electrical scaling on the contact on the ground
            > > side, but after
            > > > cleaning, and replacing the bulbs, it did not
            > > change the warning
            > > > light.
            > >

            > > --
            > > Date: 2/25/2005

            > http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          • Ron Adams
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
              for some reason, I get the check engine oil light comes on my display when my brake pedal is pressed. Any ideas? also, my rear light indicator and brake light indicator come on, even though they both work. Any ideas?

              Ron