e28 power windows

  • andrew graham
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2005
      why would the power windows stop working??? fuse? switch? motor? they were working yesterday now NONE of them are working please help.... also.... where is the timeing belt and how often should i shange it......i really dont want welded pistons..... -andrew

    • Doug Dykaar
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2005
        Andrew,

        There is a circuit breaker on the kickpanel below the steering wheel to the
        right. If it pops again, you gotta short somewhere.
        The e28 535i ain't got no stinkin timing belt. Gotta manly timing CHAIN.
        Last forever I think. Don't know from 528s. they gotta belt or sumthin.

        -doug
        85 e28 535 140kmi

        why would the power windows stop working??? fuse? switch? motor? they were
        working yesterday now NONE of them are working please help.... also....
        where is the timeing belt and how often should i shange it......i really
        dont want welded pistons..... -andrew
      • Barry Mercer
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2005
          Yes, the 528 had a Timing belt, and needs a change every 50 K, from
          what I remember.

          Barry

          --- In bmwe28@..., "Doug Dykaar" <ddykaar@r...> wrote:
          > Andrew,
          >
          > There is a circuit breaker on the kickpanel below the steering
          wheel to the
          > right. If it pops again, you gotta short somewhere.
          > The e28 535i ain't got no stinkin timing belt. Gotta manly timing
          CHAIN.
          > Last forever I think. Don't know from 528s. they gotta belt or
          sumthin.

          > -doug
          > 85 e28 535 140kmi
          >

          > why would the power windows stop working??? fuse? switch? motor?
          they were
          > working yesterday now NONE of them are working please help....
          also....
          > where is the timeing belt and how often should i shange it......i
          really
          > dont want welded pistons..... -andrew
        • Blake Nancarrow
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2005
            andrew graham wrote:

            >where is the timeing belt and how often should i shange it......i really dont want welded pistons.....

            Andrew,

            Pulled my Bentley manual... Let's see now.

            The 528e eta motor has a timing belt. It is hidden under covers behind
            the engine fan, water pump, etc. BMW recommends it (and the tensioner,
            comes in the kit) be changed every 60000 miles or every four years. I
            just did mine (my first big DIY repair) in the blue car--555550
            kilometres and counting!

            The 533i and 535i have chains. Nothing in the book about change frequency.

            Blake

            84 E28 528e sapphire blue, shocks, sway bars, K&N
            air filter, limited-slip, steel brake lines, new
            starter, cool starter button just like an S2000!
            84 E28 528e rusty brown, pushing up daisies
            88 E30 M3 diamond black, steel brake lines,
            performance pads and rotors, Raven DTM exhaust,
            loaner starter motor, Willz.ca S14 stock motor