525e Air Con Blows!

  • andyexup
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      Got a '86 525e with factory air con (very rare in the UK!), trouble
      is, it blows cold all the time!
      It has 2 vents just above the gear console (think it's a cubbyhole
      on non-air cars), this blows cold, even when the heater is on. Any
      ideas, or do I have to stick some tank tape over the vents? Got to
      stop it somehow, it's giving me a stiff knee!

      Thanks
      AndyB
    • eeeps99
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
        You've got a leak somewhere...those aren't supposed to be vents... At
        least I've never felt any air coming out of my 88 535is....

        --- In bmwe28@..., "andyexup" <andyexup@m...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > Got a '86 525e with factory air con (very rare in the UK!), trouble
        > is, it blows cold all the time!
        > It has 2 vents just above the gear console (think it's a cubbyhole
        > on non-air cars), this blows cold, even when the heater is on. Any
        > ideas, or do I have to stick some tank tape over the vents? Got to
        > stop it somehow, it's giving me a stiff knee!
        >
        > Thanks
        > AndyB
      • Ron Adams

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
              --- In bmwe28@..., Ron Adams <landmanron@p...> wrote:
              > might try checking the thermostat, maybe the engine is not gettig
              hot enough to allow hotter fluids into the heater core. that is
              what happened with mine.

              Ron
              Pretty sure the engines getting hot, temp gauge climbs fine and the
              heater blows hot air, it's just the cold draught from these 2 bottom
              vents! And even then, wouldn't be a problem if it didn't blow
              straight onto my knee!
              It's the 2 vents at bottom of the dash console, facing the gear
              shift and blowing into the cabin, I think there must be some kind of
              flap inside which isn't shutting and was hoping for some one to have
              an easy fix!:-).

              Thanks
              AndyB
              > andyexup <andyexup@m...> wrote:
              >
              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > Got a '86 525e with factory air con (very rare in the UK!),
              trouble
              > is, it blows cold all the time!
              > It has 2 vents just above the gear console (think it's a cubbyhole
              > on non-air cars), this blows cold, even when the heater is on. Any
              > ideas, or do I have to stick some tank tape over the vents? Got to
              > stop it somehow, it's giving me a stiff knee!
              >
              > Thanks
              > AndyB

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Service.

            • andyexup
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
                --- In bmwe28@..., "eeeps99" <greg.epps@g...> wrote:

                > You've got a leak somewhere...those aren't supposed to be vents...
                At
                > least I've never felt any air coming out of my 88 535is....

                Thanks, guess this means I'll have to take the dash apart!

                AndyB
              • Ron Adams
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
                  hi Andy maybe its not the AC but the outside air vent coming in? My car also has the strange characteristic of when the heat is on, the two round vents on top the dash to the far left and far right blow hot, but the middle one underneath the window blows cold even when the heat is on. How long have you had the car? the middle "slider" controls outside air flow, and if you slide it to the right it lets outside air in, but if you slide it to the left it recycles(heats) the inside air. sounds basic but some people who are new don't know this.

                  Ron

                  andyexup <andyexup@...> wrote:

                  --- In bmwe28@..., Ron Adams <landmanron@p...> wrote:
                  > might try checking the thermostat, maybe the engine is not gettig
                  hot enough to allow hotter fluids into the heater core. that is
                  what happened with mine.

                  Ron
                  Pretty sure the engines getting hot, temp gauge climbs fine and the
                  heater blows hot air, it's just the cold draught from these 2 bottom
                  vents! And even then, wouldn't be a problem if it didn't blow
                  straight onto my knee!
                  It's the 2 vents at bottom of the dash console, facing the gear
                  shift and blowing into the cabin, I think there must be some kind of
                  flap inside which isn't shutting and was hoping for some one to have
                  an easy fix!:-).

                  Thanks
                  AndyB
                  > andyexup <andyexup@m...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Hi everyone,
                  >
                  > Got a '86 525e with factory air con (very rare in the UK!),
                  trouble
                  > is, it blows cold all the time!
                  > It has 2 vents just above the gear console (think it's a cubbyhole
                  > on non-air cars), this blows cold, even when the heater is on. Any
                  > ideas, or do I have to stick some tank tape over the vents? Got to
                  > stop it somehow, it's giving me a stiff knee!
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > AndyB

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Service.

                • Ron Adams
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 8, 2005
                    I forgot to say the probably 80% of the heating problems are caused by the mono control valve, basically the heater valve. It is a $23 item that allows hot fluids into the heater core. if it is sticking, the hot fluids can't get in to heat up the heater core and therefore the car won't heat. Let me know if you don't know where this is.

                    Ron

                    andyexup <andyexup@...> wrote:

                    --- In bmwe28@..., Ron Adams <landmanron@p...> wrote:
                    > might try checking the thermostat, maybe the engine is not gettig
                    hot enough to allow hotter fluids into the heater core. that is
                    what happened with mine.

                    Ron
                    Pretty sure the engines getting hot, temp gauge climbs fine and the
                    heater blows hot air, it's just the cold draught from these 2 bottom
                    vents! And even then, wouldn't be a problem if it didn't blow
                    straight onto my knee!
                    It's the 2 vents at bottom of the dash console, facing the gear
                    shift and blowing into the cabin, I think there must be some kind of
                    flap inside which isn't shutting and was hoping for some one to have
                    an easy fix!:-).

                    Thanks
                    AndyB
                    > andyexup <andyexup@m...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Hi everyone,
                    >
                    > Got a '86 525e with factory air con (very rare in the UK!),
                    trouble
                    > is, it blows cold all the time!
                    > It has 2 vents just above the gear console (think it's a cubbyhole
                    > on non-air cars), this blows cold, even when the heater is on. Any
                    > ideas, or do I have to stick some tank tape over the vents? Got to
                    > stop it somehow, it's giving me a stiff knee!
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > AndyB

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Service.

                  • andyexup
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 9, 2005
                      Hi Ron,
                      The recycle flap seems to be working, at least I can hear it moving,
                      heater blows lots of very hot air, it's just this draught!
                      Had a closer look and there's a twin fan blower in the center
                      console, this spins when the air con is on and it's from here that
                      the draught comes. I guess there's a flap not shutting somewhere and
                      it's letting by this fan (even though it's not turning), the draught
                      increases as the fan is turned up.
                      I'm not going to strip the dash out to fix it, summer will be here
                      soon!

                      Andy

                      Service.

                    • jeroenkrijnen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 30, 2005
                        Hi Ron,
                        Maybe you already solved the draught, but I couldn't help wondering
                        what would happen if you pushed the aircon button left of the
                        temperature-selector (I couldn't check it, both my E28's doesn't
                        have air-conditioners)
                        Jeroen,NL

                      • j.kerkhofs@hccnet.nl
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 31, 2005
                          > Hello Jeroen,
                          I've been following yr conversation. I own two E28's, 528i and 525e.(both 1984 build) Do you know of any club activity regarding this model in The Netherlands, Belgium or Germany ?? I can't find much passion for this car.

                          Rgds John, NL