Re: [bmw e28] 533 accident update

  • andrew graham
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
      i know someone who wants to sell his 533i for around 500...... has arround 150,000 i believe and no computer good transmission and whatever..... this is in vallejo......so if you would like i could give the guy a call for you.... you would have to drive down here to see it......the car is not drivable becuase there is no ECU....my # is 707 704 8527... give me a cal if you want to set up an appointment with him.... -andrew

      KK P <bigdogsfman@...> wrote:
      Well Group,

      Here's the latest on that November wreck.
      Turns out that the transmission was not damaged.
      A broken drive shaft was the problem.
      After that was repaired and my black beauty came out
      of the body shop, oil began spilling out of the
      engine.
      I always had an oil leak.
      One quart every 400 hundred miles.
      Now my mechanic wants to put in a rebuilt engine.
      Or rebuild my old one.
      The costs are the same, $3000 US
      (More than the car is worth, according to my insurance
      company)
      My engine has over 200,000 miles on it.

      Should I put in another 533 or go to the 535 engine?

      People say I should just junk the car and buy
      something else.

      I love my ride.
      It's in excellent condition, no rust.

      Does anyone have any comments?

      Thanks, Keith in San Francisco

      --- Keith <bigdogsfman@...> wrote:

      > I have an automatic performance transmission that is
      > a 4 speed
      > w/overdrive.(w/boost button under the gas pedal)
      > Also has limited
      > slip dif. I recently rear ended an unmarked police
      > cruiser with
      > limited exterior damage to both cars. My Problem:
      > the tranny has been
      > severely damaged due to the accident. Now I am
      > worried that I will
      > need special shop to replace the unit. Is there any
      > thing I should be
      > worried about. Any help would be sincerely
      > appreciated. Thank you,
      > Keith in San Francisco

    • william ripley
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
        i am suprised he want's to rebuild the engine with
        just an oil leak.
        unless the leak is a crack in the block.

        i am in the same boat ( not a leak but some upcoming
        problems that either i do or get expensive for a 88 )
        .

        i would get a second opinion and find out where the
        leak is first

        is it leaking or burning oil and where is the leak.

        if it's from the oil pan it cost me 350 canadian to
        replace the gasket on the oil pan.

        is the oilpan damaged from the reck.

        is the leak comming from the head gasket.

        i would try to answer these ? first as there are
        cheaper ways to fix some problems than the mechanics
        buying bosch parts and replacing everything

        bill

        Terms of Service.

        Bill Ripley

        bilripley@...

      • Ron Kall
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2005
          just keep putting oil in it. that's only 6 quarts or
          so between oil changes. oil is oil, buy the cheapest
          oil you can find as long as it is rated at the current
          oil spec, i.e. sg or se now? you would be wasting
          money by putting a new engine to fix a ten dollar
          habit of wasting oil between oil changes.

          Ron Kall
          Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

          1986 528e
          1985 535i

          __________________________________
          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
        • Phil Davis
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005
            Have a shop with the proper equipment do an "oil dye
            leak test" - this will find the source of the leak
            without guessing.
            Phil

            --- william ripley <bilripley@...> wrote:
            > i am suprised he want's to rebuild the engine with
            > just an oil leak.
            > unless the leak is a crack in the block.
            >
            > i am in the same boat ( not a leak but some upcoming
            > problems that either i do or get expensive for a 88
            > )
            > .
            >
            > i would get a second opinion and find out where the
            > leak is first
            >
            > is it leaking or burning oil and where is the leak.
            >
            > if it's from the oil pan it cost me 350 canadian to
            > replace the gasket on the oil pan.
            >
            > is the oilpan damaged from the reck.
            >
            > is the leak comming from the head gasket.
            >
            > i would try to answer these ? first as there are
            > cheaper ways to fix some problems than the mechanics
            > buying bosch parts and replacing everything
            >
            > bill

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > Yahoo!
            > Terms of Service.
            >
            > Bill Ripley
            >
            > bilripley@...

            __________________________________
            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
          • KK P
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005
              Andrew,
              I have limited space here in the City. Also would have
              no idea on how I would dipose of the rest of the car.
              Thanx for the info though, I appreciate your time.
              Keith

            • KK P
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 9, 2005
                Ron, Bill & Phil,
                First of all, Thank you for your replys.

                The engine is now spewing oil from the head gaskets
                and the rear seals.
                The car can not even be driven at this point.
                Just to replace seals is $1800US.
                With 200,000 miles on the engine I thought it would be
                smarter to get a total rebuild.
                I am afraid that once they open up my existing engine,
                it will create a 'snowball effect'.
                The accident knocked a lot of things loose.
                Block is not cracked.
                Keith