Re: [bmw e28] "Brake Lining" light

  • Trevor Sanders
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2005
      My e28 does this also i do not know why? And all my brake parts are new so i just ignore it.
      Ron Adams <landmanron@...> wrote:

      Hi my "brake lining" light went on the dash. Does anyone know what this means? It has happened twice, and only when it is wet outside. All the brake parts have been replaced except for the sensors which I just got in the mail. Any ideas?

      Ron

    • Blake Nancarrow
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2005
        Trevor Sanders wrote:

        >My e28 does this also i do not know why? And all my brake parts are new so i just ignore it.

        When installing the new brake pads, were the brake lining sensors
        installed? There are 2, opposite corners, I think front-left and
        back-right. If the sensors are not replaced or are disconnected, the
        dash "low" lining light illuminates. Some people short circuit the
        sensor wires in the wheel well; some remove the bulb from the instrument
        cluster.

        I have no sensors and I replaced all the bulbs in my IC so the lining
        indicator burns continuously. But I also regularly inspect my brake pads
        so I know to ignore the light...

        cheers,
        Blake

        84 E28 528e sapphire blue, shocks, sway bars, K&N
        air filter, limited-slip, steel brake lines, new
        starter, cool starter button just like an S2000!
        84 E28 528e rusty brown, pushing up daisies
        88 E30 M3 diamond black, steel brake lines,
        performance pads and rotors, Raven DTM exhaust,
        loaner starter motor, Willz.ca S14 stock motor
      • alan poulton
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17, 2005
          check the circuit out,you will find it ends up in the
          printed circuit board of the instrument panel,and
          becomes electronic.I have the same fault and suspect
          it to be a solid state component failure,and a costly
          repair,I just ignore it and do regular visuals,
          aap.
          --- Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          Trevor Sanders wrote:

          >My e28 does this also i do not know why? And all my
          brake parts are new so i just ignore it.

          When installing the new brake pads, were the brake
          lining sensors
          installed? There are 2, opposite corners, I think
          front-left and
          back-right. If the sensors are not replaced or are
          disconnected, the
          dash "low" lining light illuminates. Some people short
          circuit the
          sensor wires in the wheel well; some remove the bulb
          from the instrument
          cluster.

          I have no sensors and I replaced all the bulbs in my
          IC so the lining
          indicator burns continuously. But I also regularly
          inspect my brake pads
          so I know to ignore the light...

          cheers,
          Blake

          84 E28 528e sapphire blue, shocks, sway bars, K&N
          air filter, limited-slip, steel brake lines, new
          starter, cool starter button just like an S2000!
          84 E28 528e rusty brown, pushing up daisies
          88 E30 M3 diamond black, steel brake lines,
          performance pads and rotors, Raven DTM exhaust,
          loaner starter motor, Willz.ca S14 stock motor

          Terms of Service.

        • Phil Davis
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 17, 2005
            I have yet to see 1 of these that couldn't be
            repaired. Usual problem is in the wiring or
            connectors. If you need a diagram let me know.

            Phil