Re: [bmw e28] 86 535i in Arizona

  • jim clark
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 23, 2005
      flush the cooling system,check the radiator overall condition,change radiator hoses,add antifreeze with distilled water,make sure the cooling fan works correct.check block drain plug for damage.(The one on my 528 was eroded) Parts source to do this is available from www.autohausaz.com in Tempe area.I run up and down I10 in the summer with no probelms.
      jim These guys will help you address the problem also.

      scottmaxey1982 <scottmaxey1982@...> wrote:

      I currently live in Gresham Oregon, but I am moving to North Phoenix
      on June 6th. I have a 1986 535i with 129K miles. I want to take the
      car with me, but I fear that it wont be able to handle the hot temp.
      My water temp goes high when I am sitting at idle, but once I get
      moving it goes down. Any advice as to what I can do to help keep
      this car cool. Do you think it could even make it in Arizona??
      Thanks for any advice.

      Scott
      Oregon
      86 535i

    • Ron Kall
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25, 2005
        my 1985 535i runs a little hot as well, not to worry.
        mine has fresh coolant, 50/50 mix of bmw blue and
        distilled water, new hoses, new belts, et al. it just
        runs a tad over dead center on the temp guage. i do
        not think that will ever change.

        --- jim clark <skyfly44kk@...> wrote:
        > flush the cooling system,check the radiator overall
        > condition,change radiator hoses,add antifreeze with
        > distilled water,make sure the cooling fan works
        > correct.check block drain plug for damage.(The one
        > on my 528 was eroded) Parts source to do this is
        > available from www.autohausaz.com in Tempe area.I
        > run up and down I10 in the summer with no probelms.
        > jim These guys will help you address
        > the problem also.
        >
        > scottmaxey1982 <scottmaxey1982@...> wrote:
        >
        > I currently live in Gresham Oregon, but I am moving
        > to North Phoenix
        > on June 6th. I have a 1986 535i with 129K miles. I
        > want to take the
        > car with me, but I fear that it wont be able to
        > handle the hot temp.
        > My water temp goes high when I am sitting at idle,
        > but once I get
        > moving it goes down. Any advice as to what I can do
        > to help keep
        > this car cool. Do you think it could even make it in
        > Arizona??
        > Thanks for any advice.
        >
        > Scott
        > Oregon
        > 86 535i

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

        > removed]

        Ron Kall
        Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

        1986 528e
        1985 535i

      • Doug Dykaar
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
          Ron,

          I just put some batteries on the SI board so my temp gauge has started
          working. Its been reading about 1/3, well below the midpoint.

          The needle still occasionally twitches, so it may settle down.

          Does anyone know the resistance value that corresponds to half? I assume
          there is an adjustment somewhere on the board...

          Regards,

          Doug

          86 951 http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393
          94 855 turbo wagon

          my 1985 535i runs a little hot as well, not to worry.
          mine has fresh coolant, 50/50 mix of bmw blue and
          distilled water, new hoses, new belts, et al. it just
          runs a tad over dead center on the temp guage. i do
          not think that will ever change.

          Ron Kall
          Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

          1986 528e
          1985 535i
        • Leonardo Ochoa Pinasco
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
            hi
            i have a 525 86, today the ABS light is on, why es happend that

            thanks

            leonardo ochoa
            lima-peru

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
              my light is on also on my '85 535i. my mechanic told
              me it is because a wheel speed sensor is out which
              causes the anti-lock to go in to "latent" mode.
              trouble is, with my hartge rims, no one can test the
              sensors. the diagnostic equipment that the dealer has
              is calibrated for only the original rims, or so i'm
              told. hope this helps.

              andy.
              --- Leonardo Ochoa Pinasco

            • Phil Davis
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 27, 2005
                Usually these (wheel sensors) can be tested by using
                an ohm meter on the wires to the sensor (at the plug)
                wiggle the wire close to where the sensor mounts - if
                they have a intermitent condition the ohm meter will
                read ohms then go to zero as you move the wire around.
                I have found this to be the usual problem with wheel
                speed sensors.