Re: [bmw e28] Instrument cluster

  • Timothy Hart
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2005
      Hi,

      What I've done is took my pcb to a TV repair shop and they soldered some
      wires to the battery connections. I then fitted some battery holders to the
      wires and these were located under the radio area( I don't have AC)
      This is a good solution, since can use normal 1.5v rechargable batteries and
      they are then easy to charge/replace without removal of instruments.

      Timoshenko

        > Greetings, When you replace the batteries, don't forget to charge
        > them first! Sounds obvious, but nobody told me - so then you have to
        > take the cluster out and apart again. I still have a problem getting
        > my rev counter to work.I have replaced the batteries in the pcb, no
        > rev counter. I have tried a known good rev counter from another car,
        > still doesn't work.I have been told of about 3 different places on my
        > car ( 82 520IAuto) that provides the signal for the rev counter. So
        > far I can't find any of them.( Wire off the coil,sensor on
        > flywheel,sensor under plate on left side of flywheel housing). I have
        > looked on my good car and also on my parts car ( if anybody wants 82
        > 520i bits,please let me know - I'm in New Zealand )but can't see
        > anything obvious. Can anybody help please. regards, Dave
        > Silver 82 520iA - 119000 miles
        > Blue 82 520iA - 334000 km.

      • Timothy Hart
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2005
          Hi
          TV repair shop soldered wire about 2ft long to battery connections I then
          soldered/connected 2off battery holders (from Maplin) each of which holds 2
          x 1.5 v cells. The battery holders can be threaded through the dash to the
          console area. I now have no batteries in my instrument panel. Make sure you
          put the batteries right polarity!
          My tach does occasionally go wobbly, not sure exactly why, maybe batteries
          need charging.

          No idea about coil for tacho etc.