Need assistance with Overheating

  • newellsb
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2005
      Hi Everyone

      I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I have a 1988
      535i that is over heating and I have no clue. I have replaced the
      waterpump, theromstat, clutch fan, radiator, is suppose to be new.
      I have changed the senor to the computer and to the gauge however it
      was an aftermarket sensor for the gauge because the local BMW dealer
      isnt sure what sensor I have.

      I know that sounds strange but I think part of my problem is my car
      has a North American Vin number however is european. Everything in
      the car is metric and liters and all stickers and paperwork is in
      german.

      I am thinking of trying to change my radiator sensor for the aux fan
      but everyone around here including the dealer says that my VIN only
      had one sensor but I have 2 on my car one for 91 degree C and one
      for 98 degree C.

      any ideas?

      also if anyone has any idea of how I can find out what my car is
      would be great also. I mean north american or european.

      Scott
    • david patterson

        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2005
          thanks I will give that a try

          --- david patterson <benznut450@...> wrote:
          > Do a test with a vacuum gauge and if needle
          > fluctuates erratically when you increase engine
          > speed then you may have a blown head gasket or a
          > crack in head.No clue to origin of your
          > BMW.
          >
          > Regards
          > David
          >
          > newellsb <newellsb@...> wrote:
          > Hi Everyone
          >
          > I am hoping that someone will be able to help me. I
          > have a 1988
          > 535i that is over heating and I have no clue. I
          > have replaced the
          > waterpump, theromstat, clutch fan, radiator, is
          > suppose to be new.
          > I have changed the senor to the computer and to the
          > gauge however it
          > was an aftermarket sensor for the gauge because the
          > local BMW dealer
          > isnt sure what sensor I have.
          >
          > I know that sounds strange but I think part of my
          > problem is my car
          > has a North American Vin number however is european.
          > Everything in
          > the car is metric and liters and all stickers and
          > paperwork is in
          > german.
          >
          > I am thinking of trying to change my radiator sensor
          > for the aux fan
          > but everyone around here including the dealer says
          > that my VIN only
          > had one sensor but I have 2 on my car one for 91
          > degree C and one
          > for 98 degree C.
          >
          > any ideas?
          >
          > also if anyone has any idea of how I can find out
          > what my car is
          > would be great also. I mean north american or
          > european.
          >
          > Scott

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          > removed]

        • chris insalaco
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2005
            Scott,
            You say your car is overheating but what are the symptoms? Is it just hot on the gauge or is the coolant disappearing? On the coolant tank make sure the screw on cap has its seal and the pressure valve in it is working. If you get some 5/16" or 8mm fuel line, two 5/16" by 1/4"npt hose barbs, 1/4"npt T-fitting and a Schrader tire valve with 1/4" npt to fit in line betwen the radiator and the coolant tank. This way you can pressurize the cooling system and check the coolant cap valve and leak down of system pressure in general. A tire pump and pencil pressure gauge work for this but you can go deluxe and get a four way fitting instead of the "T" and add a 30psi clock gauge.
            EVEN EASIER. Pull your spark plugs and check for that pretty, clean one (or two) that have been steam cleaned by coolant. Some cars with poor cooling system maintinence get rust scale and corrosion stuck in the passages between the head and the deck. New radiator could have rust scale from old engine.CHECK your fan belt.
            Squeeze the radiator upper hose with car running and not. The difference should be obvious, use a rag if hot.
            Open bleed screw on thermostat housing. Especially before hose squeeze test. If coolant only comes out, rejoice. If air, steam and foam come out try topping off the system and bleeding it again. I did this for nine months on my bavaria and there was more coolant (H2O) missing until one night it expelled its liquid in three miles. The temp gauge would flicker but that time it went full hot. Nine miles, three fill ups. Good luck!

            Chris 277k 83' 528e

          • scott Newe
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2005
              Hey Chris

              Right now it�s just the gauge is saying it�s over
              heating. It�s always in the red. I am not losing any
              Coolant. I installed a new sensor and that didn�t fix
              the problem. So I installed an aftermarket sensor and
              gauge and removed my thermostat and if I let the car
              idel for 5 minutes it says it puts the gauge in the
              red. I have opened the bleeder screw for 5 minutes
              and let the car run while putting more coolant in and
              all that comes out of there is liquid.

              When I did the spark plugs for my tune up they were in
              normal condition.

              I have a brand new cap on my coolant tank from bmw
              because that was the first thing I notice. When I
              squeeze the radiator hose when the car is cool to hot
              I can see the fluid spill back into the coolant tank.
              I know when the gauge says it is over heating you can
              grab the radiator hose and its hot but not know 120
              degree C.

              I was going to change the switches on my radiator for
              my aux fan but I am having a hard time finding the 2 I
              need. All the parts stores around here say I only
              have one. So I have to call the dealer up and see
              what they might be able to do for me.

              I am also going to try and flush the engine and
              radiator to make sure there is no build up. However I
              did that last year when I had the water pump changed.

              Its really strange.

              Scott

              --- chris insalaco <herrsinalco@...> wrote:
              > Scott,
              > You say your car is overheating but
              > what are the symptoms? Is it just hot on the gauge
              > or is the coolant disappearing? On the coolant tank
              > make sure the screw on cap has its seal and the
              > pressure valve in it is working. If you get some
              > 5/16" or 8mm fuel line, two 5/16" by 1/4"npt hose
              > barbs, 1/4"npt T-fitting and a Schrader tire valve
              > with 1/4" npt to fit in line betwen the radiator and
              > the coolant tank. This way you can pressurize the
              > cooling system and check the coolant cap valve and
              > leak down of system pressure in general. A tire pump
              > and pencil pressure gauge work for this but you can
              > go deluxe and get a four way fitting instead of the
              > "T" and add a 30psi clock gauge.
              > EVEN EASIER. Pull your spark
              > plugs and check for that pretty, clean one (or two)
              > that have been steam cleaned by coolant. Some cars
              > with poor cooling system maintinence get rust scale
              > and corrosion stuck in the passages between the head
              > and the deck. New radiator could have rust scale
              > from old engine.CHECK your fan belt.
              > Squeeze the radiator upper hose with car
              > running and not. The difference should be obvious,
              > use a rag if hot.
              > Open bleed screw on thermostat housing.
              > Especially before hose squeeze test. If coolant only
              > comes out, rejoice. If air, steam and foam come out
              > try topping off the system and bleeding it again. I
              > did this for nine months on my bavaria and there was
              > more coolant (H2O) missing until one night it
              > expelled its liquid in three miles. The temp gauge
              > would flicker but that time it went full hot. Nine
              > miles, three fill ups. Good luck!
              >

              > Chris 277k 83' 528e

              > removed]

            • Phil Davis
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2005
                Hello: Get the cooling system pressure checked for
                headgasket - combustion pressure in the cooling
                system. Buy or borrow a infra red temp tester - see if
                the radiator or hoses are really hot - if you have
                doubts, if you have used 2 different guages and they
                both say its overheating - it probably is!
                Phil

              • david patterson
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2005
                  Hello Scott,

                  One other thing on bleeding air out of the cooling system is run the engine at 2000RPM while
                  opening the bleeder screw. You may just have a bad gauge possibly!

                  Regards
                  David

                  scott Newe <newellsb@...> wrote:
                  Hey Chris

                  Right now it#8217;s just the gauge is saying it#8217;s over
                  heating. It#8217;s always in the red. I am not losing any
                  Coolant. I installed a new sensor and that didn#8217;t fix