535i, M535i, M5

  • Arny K.
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2005
      Hello,

      I was wondering, what are really the differences between those models? I
      know the main difference for the M5 is the S38 engine, and I know that
      M535i has SOMETHING from M-Power, but unsure what:)

      I have supposed that M535i might actually be M5 with an M30 engine, but I
      am very unsure of that; I liked the idea of having the M5's handling, and a
      regular "street engine"... So I'm mostly interested if M535i has suspension
      and brakes as M5 or as 535i, or something in between. How do these models
      compare in regard to handling and driveability?

      I was considering to maybe get a M535i, so I'm quite curious about it...

      Thanks,
      Arny
      '85. 528i
    • david patterson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2005
        Hello Arny,

        The 535i and the M535i share the same engine 3430 cc 185 bhp @5400 RPM .The M5 has a
        3453 cc 286 bhp @6500 RPM.The M535i is merely a sheep in wolf clothing!Respectfully!

        David

        "Arny K." <arny@...> wrote:

        Hello,

        I was wondering, what are really the differences between those models? I
        know the main difference for the M5 is the S38 engine, and I know that
        M535i has SOMETHING from M-Power, but unsure what:)

        I have supposed that M535i might actually be M5 with an M30 engine, but I
        am very unsure of that; I liked the idea of having the M5's handling, and a
        regular "street engine"... So I'm mostly interested if M535i has suspension
        and brakes as M5 or as 535i, or something in between. How do these models
        compare in regard to handling and driveability?

        I was considering to maybe get a M535i, so I'm quite curious about it...

        Thanks,
        Arny
        '85. 528i

      • Automobile Solutions
        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2005
          The dirty engine version of the M535 is actually 218hp. If you factor in the
          less weight of non power windows etc, it actually is a pretty strong
          performer

          Steve

          Steve Haygood

          03 04 05 5er Fest Sponsor

          03 04 05 Sharkfest Sponsor

          _____

          I was wondering, what are really the differences between those models? I
          know the main difference for the M5 is the S38 engine, and I know that
          M535i has SOMETHING from M-Power, but unsure what:)

          I have supposed that M535i might actually be M5 with an M30 engine, but I
          am very unsure of that; I liked the idea of having the M5's handling, and a
          regular "street engine"... So I'm mostly interested if M535i has suspension
          and brakes as M5 or as 535i, or something in between. How do these models
          compare in regard to handling and driveability?

          I was considering to maybe get a M535i, so I'm quite curious about it...

          Thanks,
          Arny
          '85. 528i

          _____

          <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> Terms of Service.

        • Bob Sutterfield
          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2005
            You can learn all about them by studying:
            http://m535i.org
            http://www.bmwmregistry.com/faq.php
          • Arny K.
            Message 5 of 7 , May 8, 2005
              Thank you all for your responses, folks!

              Like David said, M535i is an M5 lookalike 535i, but does it only LOOK like
              an M5 or does it also inherit M5's driveability?

              I agree with Steve about the engine... the 'dirty' 3.5 is quite a
              performance _street_ engine... not quite as strong as M-power, but needs
              less revving and lasts longer...

              So what I really wanted to ask is: Do M5 and M535 share common suspension
              parts and do they have similar handling, i.e. is it something like someone
              took an M5 and pulled the S38 engine out and installed a regular M30B35? Or
              are similarities only cosmetic?

              It would be soo great if I could have a car with M5's handling and a
              street-engine... and 3.5 is not quite an anemic one... :)

              Regards,
              Arny
              '85. 528i

            • Bob Sutterfield
              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2005
                --- In bmwe28@..., "Arny K." <arny@p...> wrote:
                > Do M5 and M535 share common suspension parts and do they have
                > similar handling, i.e. is it something like someone took an M5
                > and pulled the S38 engine out and installed a regular M30B35? Or
                > are similarities only cosmetic?

                All E28s share suspension components. M5s have the self-leveling
                rear suspension, which by now many owners have removed and replaced
                with more economically maintainable conventional shock absorbers.

                > It would be soo great if I could have a car with M5's handling and
                > a street-engine... and 3.5 is not quite an anemic one... :)
                >
                > Regards,
                > Arny
                > '85. 528i

                You can install aftermarket springs and dampers and sway bars,
                along with wheels and high performance tires, on any E28. This
                gives you the same handling potential from the 518i to the M5.

                Along with all the above, my 535iS has brakes from an E34 540i,
                also an engine chip, flywheel from a 533i/M5, and a 3.73:1 limited
                slip differential. It is quite a capable sedan :-) Consider the
                recent autocross results (and the other cars in my class) at
                http://ggcbmwcca.org/download/drivingevents/autocross/autox05mar.pdf
              • Arny K.
                Message 7 of 7 , May 8, 2005
                  At 01:48 09/05/2005 +0000, you wrote:
                  >All E28s share suspension components.

                  Yes, but like m535i.org state (btw. thanks for the link!):

                  1. Stock - 166 lb/in - 0mm drop
                  2. M-technik, BMW - 193 lb/in - 20mm drop fr/rr
                  Here is a basic guide to sway bars:
                  1. Stock - 19mm / 15.5mm
                  2. 'Sport', BMW - 21mm / 15.5mm
                  3. E28 M5, BMW - 25mm / 18mm

                  So, what springs and sway bars M535i comes with? Regular stock like
                  ordinary E28, or the "M" ones?

                  Stock E28 sway bars are not very impressive... I can tell by the way my
                  528i rolls :( 19mm front - too thin IMHO.

                  Regards,
                  Arny