Circuits in New Hampshire anybody?

  • Will
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2005
      Well hi!
      I have a 1985 535i
      with a retuned suspension, sports brakes(cross-drilled rotors and all
      that jazz), brand new exhaust(including a new cat.), borbet rims w/
      low pro tirs, new interior and a bunch of other good things.
      Now, my car wants me to take her on the track. Unfortunately i cant
      find any circuit tracks or rally tracks in the new hampshire area.

      can anybody tell me where to find somewhere to legally race?
    • david patterson

        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2005
          On Sunday 8 May 2005 10:24 PM, Will wrote:
          > Now, my car wants me to take her on the track.
          Unfortunately i cant
          > find any circuit tracks or rally tracks in the new
          hampshire area.

          > can anybody tell me where to find somewhere to
          legally race?

          Ah, New Hampshire International Speedway?

          BMW clubs Boston and White Mountain run schools
          there...

          Blake
        • Bob Sutterfield
          Message 4 of 4 , May 9, 2005
            Will wrote:
            > I have a 1985 535i ...
            > Now, my car wants me to take her on the track.

            First, join <http://bmwcca.org> and attend some driving schools on
            racetracks, and compete in some autocrosses on parking lots. For racing,
            check <http://bmwccaclubracing.com> and <http://scca.org> and
            <http://nasaproracing.com> and <http://northamericanbavarianracing.com>.

            > Unfortunately i cant find any circuit tracks or
            > rally tracks in the new hampshire area.

            Try <http://nhis.com>, but it's more important to find the group than the
            location. BMW CCA and SCCA might have rally programs in your area too.

            > can anybody tell me where to find somewhere to legally race?

            You and your car both have quite a way to go before you'll be ready for
            wheel-to-wheel racing with any sanctioning body. You'll need all the safety
            equipment (roll cage, electrical cutoff, fuel cell, seat & harness, HANS
            device, etc.) along with racing schools toward a competition license. You
            might find that some of your mods are illegal in any category in which your
            E28 might be competitive, so you've already bumped yourself into a higher
            level of preparation and competition. Instead of focusing on racing, I
            would strongly encourage you to start with some BMW CCA high performance
            driving schools first.

            david patterson wrote:
            > Sounds awfully nice to get banged up at an autocross!

            That's the great thing about autocross: A driver can compete in a street
            car with no extra equipment, and no worries about injuring the car. If the
            course is laid out correctly there's no chance of hitting another car or any
            stationary objects (curbs or light poles). If something goes wrong you'll
            just spin or slide, and the worst effect on your car will be scuff marks
            from the cones.