Re: [bmw e28] stalling

  • rufus d'bauchee
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2005
      I had a problem with the mass air flow (MAF) sensor plug not being completely seated (pluged into) the air box, this made me have to rev it up way high to take off, I unpluggd it completely, and reattached it firmly and it went away. another time I found 1 of 2 other connectors in the engine compartment loose, causing the same problem, on the passanger side near the firewall, up high near the back of the intake manifold, I dint know what these 2 plugs do, but plastic ears that interlock busted on one end of one plug, and it made intermittant connection, and the car ran like ass... i reconnected these and taped 'em together and it made the stalling go away. hopefully it'll be an easy one for you.

      "Brian M. Armstrong" <barmstrong@...> wrote:everyone i need help. i have an 84 528e and it's stalling. when it
      is cold it will run on high idle then kick down like normal. but
      when i start it and go immediatly it idles really low and or stalls.
      generally when it warms up the problem goes away but lately that
      hasn't been fixing it.
      i have replaced everything in the fuel system, i.e. pumps, filter,
      regulator. and electrical as far as spark, i.e. plugs, wires, coil.
      please help i'm about to find a cliff and see if it flies!

      brian

    • Brian M. Armstrong
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2005
        thanks everyone for responding, it has gotten worse. the last gas
        station to sell 93 just cut back to 91. the car is sputtering now. I
        will check what you suggested. i was wondering how the number 2 temp
        sensor would affect the idle/stalling? in any case i think that i'll
        be able to get it sorted out. for the MAF cover, is it necessary for
        it to be sealed. i tapped it and the black cover came off. i checked
        inside it and everything looks new. does this depend on a suction
        environment?

        tks again gents,

        brian

        p.s. i lost a k5 on the matanuska river trails in alaska for three
        days. ak will kill the manliest of vehicles.
        --- In bmwe28@..., rufus d'bauchee <otteronbass@y...>
        wrote:
        > I had a problem with the mass air flow (MAF) sensor plug not being
        completely seated (pluged into) the air box, this made me have to
        rev it up way high to take off, I unpluggd it completely, and
        reattached it firmly and it went away. another time I found 1 of
        2 other connectors in the engine compartment loose, causing the same
        problem, on the passanger side near the firewall, up high near the
        back of the intake manifold, I dint know what these 2 plugs do, but
        plastic ears that interlock busted on one end of one plug, and it
        made intermittant connection, and the car ran like ass... i
        reconnected these and taped 'em together and it made the stalling go
        away. hopefully it'll be an easy one for you.

        > "Brian M. Armstrong" <barmstrong@r...> wrote:everyone i need help.
        i have an 84 528e and it's stalling. when it
        > is cold it will run on high idle then kick down like normal. but
        > when i start it and go immediatly it idles really low and or
        stalls.
        > generally when it warms up the problem goes away but lately that
        > hasn't been fixing it.
        > i have replaced everything in the fuel system, i.e. pumps,
        filter,
        > regulator. and electrical as far as spark, i.e. plugs, wires, coil.
        > please help i'm about to find a cliff and see if it flies!
        >
        > brian

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

      • david patterson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 12, 2005
          One last thing before lights out .Your 84 528e has an airflow meter not an MAF.This part is
          prone to failure on the mechanical aspect.Did you check to see if the flap on the inside was
          binding.The black cover does need to be sealed back up or you will get "false air" and tell
          your ECU the wrong information.Make sure the intake bellow is free of breaks also.

          David

          wrote:
          > I had a problem with the mass air flow (MAF) sensor plug not being
          completely seated (pluged into) the air box, this made me have to
          rev it up way high to take off, I unpluggd it completely, and
          reattached it firmly and it went away. another time I found 1 of
          2 other connectors in the engine compartment loose, causing the same
          problem, on the passanger side near the firewall, up high near the
          back of the intake manifold, I dint know what these 2 plugs do, but
          plastic ears that interlock busted on one end of one plug, and it
          made intermittant connection, and the car ran like ass... i
          reconnected these and taped 'em together and it made the stalling go
          away. hopefully it'll be an easy one for you.

          > "Brian M. Armstrong" <barmstrong@r...> wrote:everyone i need help.
          i have an 84 528e and it's stalling. when it
          > is cold it will run on high idle then kick down like normal. but
          > when i start it and go immediatly it idles really low and or
          stalls.
          > generally when it warms up the problem goes away but lately that
          > hasn't been fixing it.
          > i have replaced everything in the fuel system, i.e. pumps,
          filter,
          > regulator. and electrical as far as spark, i.e. plugs, wires, coil.
          > please help i'm about to find a cliff and see if it flies!
          >
          > brian

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.