RE: [bmw e28] rear swingarm bushings

  • Doug Dykaar
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2005
      Steve,

      I haven't tried the rear swingarm bushings yet, I was assuming I could
      remove the car from the swing arm and press them out. Am I being naive
      again?

      Where in Canada are you? I'm in Waterloo, ON.

      Regards,

      Doug

      86 951 http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393
      94 855 turbo wagon

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 18:03:23 -0700
      From: Steve <s.a@...>
      Subject: Re: <e28> rear subframe mount R&R

      ...just wait till you try removing the bushings!
      The reason I picked my first e28 up as cheap as I did, the passed owner was
      quoted $900 cdn in labor + $100 in parts to change these bushings.
      The first one, I cut and chiseled out after soaking the bolt with wurth's
      rust-off.
      The second, I used my new-gained wisdom and made a tool with ready-rod,
      washers, nuts and short piece of steel tube which helped pull the bushing
      right out.
      The first side took approx 7 hours, the second side took 20 minutes.
      Good Luck,
      Steve
      Canada
    • James Hills
      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2005
        Try supporting the bottom of the bolt on an axel stand and hitting the top of the mount (tube) under the seat, 1 of mine did not want to budge, 3lb hammer sorted that out! even if you just hit it a few times and then spray with pen. oil at least it should reach the splines then, good luck.

        Regards

        Jimmy