will an m535i powerplant go into a 528e?

  • elephantjuice54
    Message 1 of 9 , May 18, 2005
      Hey all - newguy.

      I've got a 83 528e. Am told this is one of the slowest powerless
      engines they ever made, shooting for fuel economy over all else. This
      is good news to me because it still feels rather quick and snappy and
      the idea that it does nothing but get more powerful, well gee whiz. I
      think its pretty cool. This car is in rather good shape, no rust,
      almost no gremlins, not been wrecked, practically everything works and
      works well.

      Now if I were to ask my mechanic who doesn't like 528e's at all, he'd
      tell me that I'm stuck where I'm at, I can never upgrade this
      powerplant - nothing else will work in there. But theres alot of
      conflicting evidence to that claim it would seem, so thought I'd ask.

      I recently picked up a m535i for three bills that still runs and
      drives but theres so much wrong with her it'll never be worth trying
      to fix - she's a running parts car is all right now. Theres gremlins
      in the electrical, the frame and body is rusted out and rather beat
      up. And yet for all that, theres quite a bit salvageable on her.
      Ricaro racing seats for one, engine and tranny and computers for
      two... 16 inch wheels (not great but functional) - bumpers are in
      good shape (though not euro) - lots and lots of miscelaneous stuff.

      So I guess at the heart of things my quesiton is - am I stuck with the
      528e powerplant? Part 2 of this question is, is there a snowballs
      chance in hell of dropping this powerplant into my 528e? Part 3, am I
      a dumbass for even wanting to?

      Thanks all for your input. Excuse while I ask alot of questions in
      the beginning. Just trying to get my bearings.

      Scott Gamble
      1983 528e
    • david patterson
      Message 2 of 9 , May 18, 2005
        Hello and welcome Scott,

        What mods have you done to the 528e ? Lets start here!! And yes,you can drop the M535i
        powerplant in . Score at $300 !

        David

        Message 3 of 9 , May 18, 2005
          Real quick - forum protocol questions. Is it preferred that responses
          happen at the top of the reply or at the bottom? Do I need to hit
          "respond to all" or can I just hit "respond" for it to go to the
          community?

          Hi David

          Warning - I type at around 90wpm and think in complete sentances so my
          emails get long in a hurry. If its a problem, let me know.

          I just picked this 528e up approx 3 months ago so up until this point,
          its been merely fixing broken things and bringing it back to "zero" so
          to speak. What parts I've replaced I've tried to replace with high
          end components.

          I call her Gretchen and have pictures of it here...
          http://blackcannon.org/gallery/Gretchen

          and I have goofoff form study pictures of it here
          http://blackcannon.org/gallery/project-shots

          That being said, so far I've replaced heater blower motor, the air
          intake, replaced all the lightbulbs and fuses in the car, replaced all
          the headlights and fog lights, replaced one fried relay, and I've
          dropped a rather pricy ($250!) Bavarian Autosport Short Shift Kit into
          her as the shifting linkage was going out (2nd and 4th were getting
          rather difficult to find) and I am a *ahem* demanding driver.

          I've had all the fluids replaced, the tires rotated - the cold
          start/idle cleaned up a bit, the sparkplugs replaced and by the end of
          today I hope to have those ricaro racing seats installed and the power
          antenna replaced.

          The engine and tranny are strong. Car has approx 350,000 miles on her
          though the SI board appears to have conked out at 318,000 so nothing
          on the left side of the instrument cluster is working at present. The
          drivers seat is worn to the springs. I'm in the process of right now
          purchasing a limited slip differential out of another 528e - I'm just
          waiting to hear back on what the gearing on it is. Guy swears it came
          out of another 528e but the numbers on it are S2 93 1711 apparently.
          I want to see what I have in mine presently and confirm that those are
          the right numbers. If I'm reading those numbers correctly, then its
          geared WAY too tall and I'm going to walk from it. If its merely
          mislabled, well heck... =)

          The game plan was not to even touch the engine/tranny for another 12
          to 18 months. The Gameplan was to work on everything else, starting
          with the suspension and brakes and eventually wheels - and THEN doing
          engine/tranny stuff, and then doing aesthetics like body and paint.

          Thing is, my mechanic has offered to give me $200 and do all the work
          salvaging and installing all the salvagable components from that 535i
          over into my 528e in return for the engine, tranny, and computers.
          But the fact is, I kinda like the idea of having that m535i motor
          pulled, rebuilt and dropped into my little 528 so I've held off. I
          don't know much about that motor but I understand its the predecessor
          to the M5 engine and in comparison to my present baby 6... is just a
          monster. I'm also told that there may be a chance that its a dual
          overhead cam motor. Thing is I just don't know.

          I'm assuming somewhere on the engine there is a model number. Do you
          know where it may be so I can start doing my homework on it?

          Thanks
          Scott Gamble
          1983 528e

          --- In bmwe28@..., david patterson <benznut450@y...>

          Service.

        • Bob Sutterfield
          Message 4 of 9 , May 19, 2005
            Your 528e has a M20B27 engine. M20 means it's the "baby six", B27 means it displaces 2.7 liters. It's built for economy and low-end torque, not high revving. Your M535i(*) has a M30B34 engine. M30 means it's the "big six" block, B34 means 3.4 liters. Both M20 and M30 have a steel block and aluminum head with 12 valves and a single overhead cam. The M20 has a rubber timing belt that should be replaced every 40-50K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. The M30 has a timing chain that's normally good for the life of the engine.

            *If it has US bumpers it's almost certainly a US 535i or 535iS, perhaps with a "///M" badge stuck on the trunk. Some M535i cars had a 10:1 compression engine with more horsepower, and some had the same 8.5:1 engine as in the US 535i/S.

            You can transplant a M30 engine into the space formerly occupied by a M20. Besides the usual stuff like mount locations and engine management electronics, you'll also need to pay attention to the brake boosters. The 528e's brake booster runs off manifold vacuum, and the 535i's brake booster runs off the power steering hydraulic system. Since you have the M30 engine already effectively for free, the transplant cost is entirely labor. Normally when someone wants to swap engines into a 528e, the usual recommendation is to sell the 528e to someone who wants it for what it already is, and buy a 535i to replace it.

            Your 528e interchanges parts with all other E28s. That means you can upgrade its suspension and brakes and wheels however you want. The cheap bang-for-the-buck acceleration improvements are a Conforti engine chip from <http://turnermotorsport.com> and a 3.25:1 limited-slip differential from a 535i. So just take the diff out of your M30 car and it will bolt right into your M20 car.

            You can learn a lot about E28s here:
            http://m535i.org
            http://mye28.com/newforum
            --
            Bob Sutterfield
            '88 E28 535iS lachssilber-met
            Message 5 of 9 , May 19, 2005
              Thank you for your detailed response Bob

              Thats excellent news. Guess I'll have to find a mechanic whos less
              interested in acquiring this motor from me than they are in installing
              it. My next question was going to be how to find out for certain
              which motor I've got but I just did and you are correct. It would
              appear this is an American 535i. Which is still nothing to balk at IMO,

              http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi
              http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgivin.exe?Mode=Decode&VIN=wbadc740xf0650696&Submit=Decode
              http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/VIN/bmw.html

              but it was kinda fun to hope there for a few minutes...

              So, that being said I guess this changes my gameplan a bit. Again I
              figure I've 12 to 18 months to bring this engine to fruition so I can
              concentrate on the suspension and brakes and whatnot. But I guess the
              plan now is to go ahead and have the engine and tranny pulled and
              rebuilt (over the next 12 months) with high quality components. Might
              as well while I've got them out and have time to get the work done.
              Again this is hobby stuff and not time critical.

              Do you have any performance or component suggestions that I might take
              into consideration when having the gearbox and motor rebuilt? Quality
              components only qualify as an investment if I don't have to go back in
              and replace them in 5 years, and to be blunt, I'm a rather demanding
              driver. I'm conciencious, but I'm demanding. So a balance between an
              increase in performance and durability is what I'm really in the
              market for.

              Last thing. Turbos. I know nothing about them. Can you recommend
              some links to read so I can learn about the pros and cons? I've
              always been interested but don't know anything about them. I don't
              know if I'm interested in anything like that here, but I am curious as
              to what it is and why people seem to like it.

              Thanks again
              Scott Gamble

              --- In bmwe28@..., "Bob Sutterfield" <bob@s...> wrote:
              > Your 528e has a M20B27 engine. M20 means it's the "baby six", B27
              means it displaces 2.7 liters. It's built for economy and low-end
              torque, not high revving. Your M535i(*) has a M30B34 engine. M30
              means it's the "big six" block, B34 means 3.4 liters. Both M20 and
              M30 have a steel block and aluminum head with 12 valves and a single
              overhead cam. The M20 has a rubber timing belt that should be
              replaced every 40-50K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. The
              M30 has a timing chain that's normally good for the life of the engine.

              > *If it has US bumpers it's almost certainly a US 535i or 535iS,
              perhaps with a "///M" badge stuck on the trunk. Some M535i cars had a
              10:1 compression engine with more horsepower, and some had the same
              8.5:1 engine as in the US 535i/S.

              > You can transplant a M30 engine into the space formerly occupied by
              a M20. Besides the usual stuff like mount locations and engine
              management electronics, you'll also need to pay attention to the brake
              boosters. The 528e's brake booster runs off manifold vacuum, and the
              535i's brake booster runs off the power steering hydraulic system.
              Since you have the M30 engine already effectively for free, the
              transplant cost is entirely labor. Normally when someone wants to
              swap engines into a 528e, the usual recommendation is to sell the 528e
              to someone who wants it for what it already is, and buy a 535i to
              replace it.

              > Your 528e interchanges parts with all other E28s. That means you
              can upgrade its suspension and brakes and wheels however you want.
              The cheap bang-for-the-buck acceleration improvements are a Conforti
              engine chip from <http://turnermotorsport.com> and a 3.25:1
              limited-slip differential from a 535i. So just take the diff out of
              your M30 car and it will bolt right into your M20 car.

              > You can learn a lot about E28s here:
              > http://m535i.org
              > http://mye28.com/newforum
              > --
              > Bob Sutterfield
              > '88 E28 535iS lachssilber-met
              > '91 E30 318iS alpinweiß
              > '83 E21 320i opalgrün-met (RIP, parting out)
              > '93 T4 EV MV Weekender Arktisches Weiß
              > BMWCCA #169277 GGC/RMC
            • david patterson
              Message 6 of 9 , May 19, 2005
                Hey Scott,

                I also concur with Bob's information. If you want to bump up the ponies on your 528e,then
                here are a few suggestions. A big bore throttle body,schrick camshaft and a multi throttle
                intake system,aluminum flywheel and performance clutch kit,differential with 3:25-14%,
                cold air box w/cone filter,EPROM chip in your ECU,free flow exhaust,extractors w/o2 hole,
                adjustable fuel pressure regulator,titanium valve retainers and rocker arm retainers,oil cooler
                kit,and 8mm plug wires.There is more and this just shows you that the engine can be highly
                modified.

                If you add a turbo,invest in an copper head gasket.With all these mods you need to make sure
                that your BMW brake system is upgraded also as you beef up the performance.Drilled/slotted
                rotors and HIGH quality brake pads or if your money allows add a Brembo brake kit!Choice!
                Bob can fill in the blanks if I have overlooked anything.

                David

              • Scott Gamble
                Message 7 of 9 , May 19, 2005
                  Actually from the very beginning the gameplans been to start with the
                  suspension and brakes before ever touching powerplant stuff. And the
                  thing is my suspension is in great shape - its just older.

                  Can't tell you how often I've seen people amp up the powerplant and
                  then cut corners on things like suspension and brakes. Just dumb if
                  you ask me.

                  I've got pics of that parts car, including motor
                  http://blackcannon.org/gallery/album02

                  Lots to do with the engine. Glad to hear it. Is there anything I can
                  do with the transmission? I'm just kind of assembling my goodie list now.

                • ken@kenholyoak.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 20, 2005
                    I replaced plugs and wires on my 528e but wires set did not have the
                    ignition coil wire that runs to the factory computer.

                    !. Is this a nesessasity or can it be ignored. BMW suggested I replace one
                    plug wire with one that I made from wire and ends and run it through the
                    coild before attaching end

                    Any thoughts

                    An yes Steve I should have waited for you to ship me the right parts but I
                    thought I had to have it fixed today.

                    Kenneth H. Holyoak
                    Information+Insight=Profit
                    HIG, LLC