Re: [bmw e28] rust, fenders and body...

  • Chris Trevelyan
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2005
      With my Canadian 86 535i - almost all of the not too serious rust is located where undercoat/weatherproofing had been torn away or damaged (ie rusting from outside in, not inside out) - the one exception is my front PS fender - which was a replacement some time well before I owned her - and there is a nastly looking pocket of rust along the seam - I hate to think of what's growing underneath - my bodyman told me that this is due to the fact that it was not sealed properly - so I gathered that unless its done properly by real pros (and mine looks good otherwise), they can be a rust trap waiting to happen.

      Regards,
      Chris
      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2005
        Slightly off topic, I used to know a Vernon Trevelyan in Seattle...

        --- In bmwe28@..., "Chris Trevelyan" <ctrevelyan@t...>
        wrote:
        > With my Canadian 86 535i - almost all of the not too serious rust is
        located where undercoat/weatherproofing had been torn away or damaged
        (ie rusting from outside in, not inside out) - the one exception is my
        front PS fender - which was a replacement some time well before I
        owned her - and there is a nastly looking pocket of rust along the
        seam - I hate to think of what's growing underneath - my bodyman told
        me that this is due to the fact that it was not sealed properly - so I
        gathered that unless its done properly by real pros (and mine looks
        good otherwise), they can be a rust trap waiting to happen.

        > Regards,
        > Chris

        Service.

      • Scott Gamble
        Message 3 of 3 , May 26, 2005
          Unnh - that would be consistent with what he told me alright...

          Strange. Had no idea.

          wrote:
          > With my Canadian 86 535i - almost all of the not too serious rust is
          located where undercoat/weatherproofing had been torn away or damaged
          (ie rusting from outside in, not inside out) - the one exception is my
          front PS fender - which was a replacement some time well before I
          owned her - and there is a nastly looking pocket of rust along the
          seam - I hate to think of what's growing underneath - my bodyman told
          me that this is due to the fact that it was not sealed properly - so I
          gathered that unless its done properly by real pros (and mine looks
          good otherwise), they can be a rust trap waiting to happen.

          > Regards,
          > Chris

          Service.