What should I do?

  • garygeorge3
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2005
      Hi guys,

      I live in the UK and own a 528i auto from '84. She is a good car that I enjoy driving, with
      119k miles under her wheels, however in my own bit of stupidity I over- reved the engine
      momentarily in first gear hold.

      The car now idles lumpy and pulls away sounding rough, under load she is ok I think!

      The car after a compression test is down to only about 30% power on No:1 cylinder, and
      my mechanic suspects a valve related problem requiring the head to be removed and all
      the associated costs with this. I have been offered a good working head from a scrap car,
      with a reported 102k miles, that is ready to go on after skimming for 200 pounds sterling
      [$370] he assures me he has heard the engine running and it sounds strong.

      Previous to this mishap my car ran fine with only a little camshaft noise, my question is,
      do continue with my own head, fit the replacement as this may be cheaper, or go for a
      complete rebuilt head?

      I really like these old square riggers but their near worthless value here in the uk makes
      me wonder whether you carry on spending cash or just walk away?

      Awaiting any suggestions and thanks for reading this,

      Gary.
    • mageidt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 9, 2005
        Hi...
        I live in the Philippines and I have a 528e mod 86 close to your old
        girl... I just had a timing belt brake on me and it bend pretty
        mutch all my exhaus valves but luckily nothing else I took the head
        of myself and replaced all 12 valves the timing belt and was able to
        return the original head gasket belive it or not... the original
        head gasket's can be re-used again they are strong as can be.
        now to your predicament I would take the head off before making a
        decission to replace the head requires actual inspection to see if
        it's the head or the valve that gives you the problem. well that is
        what I would do.....

        --- In bmwe28@..., "garygeorge3" <garygeorge3@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        >
        > I live in the UK and own a 528i auto from '84. She is a good car
        that I enjoy driving, with
        > 119k miles under her wheels, however in my own bit of stupidity I
        over- reved the engine
        > momentarily in first gear hold.
        >
        > The car now idles lumpy and pulls away sounding rough, under load
        she is ok I think!

        > The car after a compression test is down to only about 30% power
        on No:1 cylinder, and
        > my mechanic suspects a valve related problem requiring the head to
        be removed and all
        > the associated costs with this. I have been offered a good
        working head from a scrap car,
        > with a reported 102k miles, that is ready to go on after skimming
        for 200 pounds sterling
        > [$370] he assures me he has heard the engine running and it sounds
        strong.

        > Previous to this mishap my car ran fine with only a little
        camshaft noise, my question is,
        > do continue with my own head, fit the replacement as this may be
        cheaper, or go for a
        > complete rebuilt head?
        >
        > I really like these old square riggers but their near worthless
        value here in the uk makes
        > me wonder whether you carry on spending cash or just walk away?
        >
        > Awaiting any suggestions and thanks for reading this,
        >
        > Gary.
      • William Allison

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 15, 2005
            Dear Gary,

            I sympathise with you dilema as I have resently had a similar problem.

            I run a UK pec 1987 528i SE Auto.

            Recently the viscous cupling in th fan fialed. This caused the engine
            to over heat and crack my cylinder head.

            The 2.8i cylinder heads are renowned for going pop. Often when they
            go they not repairable due to the crack being to large.

            While my situation is different, get you cylinder head inspected for
            cracks. If you doubt the head you have available, Linwar Motors in
            Southport stock test heads (reconditioned and those that need
            facing). One that need facing (but tested) is £190 + V.A.T. They will
            the cylinder head number to get a exact match though. The rattling
            sound you mentioned could be the tappets or the timing chain. Either
            way these should be looked at closly if you replace the head.

            I went for the alternative.

            As it happened mine was not repairable. My mechanic however had acces
            to a 2.8i engine form an accident damaged car. £250 for the engine
            plus £350 for fitting. As it happens fitting was complicated because
            on the engine that he aquired, the engine ancillaries were wired up
            differently to my old engine (ECU connectors, fuse box connections,
            general wiring e.t.c)and some of the ancillaries on the new engine
            were in poor condition. So he took all the connectors, ancillaries
            (pumps disributor...)e.t.c of the old engine and fitted then to the
            new one. Fitted it and wired it in. With a new fan the total bill was
            nearly £700. It now runs fine.

            For me this was worth it as the rest of the car is fine. The only
            problems I have are the beginings of rot in the wings and one of the
            doors. These bit are replacable and I intend to fully restore the car.

            If your car is rust free on the non replacable panels and the
            transmission suspensionand steering are fine then it is worth fixing
            it if you like it. Either by replacing the head or fitting the engine
            the head is coming of.

            If you choose not to fix it. thier a number of parts that I could be
            interested in if the car is going to be broken for spares.

            I do hope you do fix it as they are lovely cars to drive and do last
            if maintained properly.

            Regards

            Malcolm
            m.borg@...