Wheel issues?

  • Andrew W. Hill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
      I recently picked up a set of 16" Borbet Style H wheels with Kumho tyres. Since fitting them, I get a shudder in the steering wheel somewhere around 60mph. If I get up to 80 or 90 it lessens significantly. Under 40 is fine. When I bought the wheels, the dealership said that I needed hubcentric rings with these wheels. When I went to pick the wheels up, they said they were out of hubcentric rings (which they agreed to include gratis) and that their mechanic said the rings weren't necessary. He left a phone number with me saying to call if anything unusual happened. Well, at around 60mph, the travel at the top of the steering wheel is about an inch, so I called him, left messages, no response.
      Is the problem I'm having likely a result of not having the rings, or could my wheels just be unbalanced?
      Thanks
      Andrew

      Find the LOWEST PRICES on books at http://www.campusi.com !
      Check your SchoolEmail at http://www.campusi.com/email
    • Andrew W. Hill

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2005
          It could be unbalanced, out of round tire, or a slightly bent wheel. Try
          rotating front to rear and see if the shudder disappears. If it does, then
          swap left front and rear, then right front and rear to find the culprit!
          It's a little work but worth it to find the problem.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
            Dear Andrew

            Check wheel balance and warpage on tyres. If its not that then it would
            be these rings although I have no ideas what they are.

            Malcolm Borg
            malcolm@...
            www.technicalglass.co.uk

[...]

            _____

            <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> of Service.

          • Gerald Paul
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2005
              When I had a set of new tires put on my 535is
              Italian rims, I experienced the same type of
              vibration, turned out that the rims needed to
              be balanced before the tires where mounted.

              --- Malcolm Borg <malcolm@...> wrote:

              > Dear Andrew
              >
              > Check wheel balance and warpage on tyres. If its not
              > that then it would
              > be these rings although I have no ideas what they
              > are.
              >

              > Malcolm Borg
              > malcolm@...
              > www.technicalglass.co.uk