leaky trunk

  • dale antonio
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 16, 2005
      I love my e28. but im having a problem solving the
      mysterious moisture im geting in the trunk
      compartment. i have checked the rubber seal,
      reinforced it with silicon sealer but im still geting
      wet. i wonder where its coming from. any sugestions
      guys. tnx.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 16, 2005
        rear registration plate light holes

        Ed

        dale antonio wrote:

        > I love my e28. but im having a problem solving the
        > mysterious moisture im geting in the trunk
        > compartment. i have checked the rubber seal,
        > reinforced it with silicon sealer but im still geting
        > wet. i wonder where its coming from. any sugestions
        > guys. tnx.

        > Service <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html>.

      • jim845034
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2005
          Hi - the mystery "my trunk is always wet inside": two things;

          first - if you park on a slope and open the trunk after it has been
          raining then water will drop straight out of the gutter around the
          trunk opening into the trunk. Poor design - always park facing up
          the hill !

          second - there is a micro climate in the trunk; rather like
          condensation on your house windows when water runs down the windows
          under certain conditions. Because the volume of the trunk is so
          large you can get quite a lot of water from out the atmosphere
          deposited in there.

          My 1955 Rover 90 has really bad seals so good air circulation - and
          has never had any condensation and is always dry.

          Hope this answers the query

          Jim Butterworth 1984 528i SE auto

          --- In bmwe28@..., dale antonio <mrktace@y...> wrote:
          > I love my e28. but im having a problem solving the
          > mysterious moisture im geting in the trunk
          > compartment. i have checked the rubber seal,
          > reinforced it with silicon sealer but im still geting
          > wet. i wonder where its coming from. any sugestions
          > guys. tnx.
          >

          > __________________________________
          > Discover Yahoo!
          > Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news and more. Check it
          out!
          > http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
        • Darrell Davis
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 17, 2005
            hey Dale, try the sunroof downtubes,i think 4 in all,
            they can flood the trunk when they get clogged. mine
            did the same thing, some flexible plastic or an old
            antenna will do the trick...

            --- dale antonio <mrktace@...> wrote:

            > I love my e28. but im having a problem solving the
            > mysterious moisture im geting in the trunk
            > compartment. i have checked the rubber seal,
            > reinforced it with silicon sealer but im still
            > geting
            > wet. i wonder where its coming from. any sugestions
            > guys. tnx.
            >

            > __________________________________
            > Discover Yahoo!
            > Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news and
            > more. Check it out!
            > http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html

            Yahoo! Sports
            http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
          • greg_collen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 18, 2005
              climb into the trunk with a flashlight. Have a friend close the trunk
              and then run a water hose over the trunk. Using the flashlight look
              for water coming in. I replaced my seal but I know of others who have
              used this method. I haven't heard of the trunk being naturally damp
              as someone else implied.
            • jim845034
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 19, 2005
                Surely if they get clogged they will keep the water up in the
                sunroof area and any water that can't drain away will then drop down
                inside the car ?

                The front sunroof drain pipes direct the water into the cills
                (ridiculous) from which it SHOULD drain outside through the cill
                drain holes. BUT if you park on a slope it can run out of the cills
                and under the carpets ! Lovely ! I've redirected my pipes direct
                through a new hole I drilled in the cills.

                The back sunroof drain pipes run back inside the roof and let the
                water out OUTSIDE the car body, behind the rear vent pieces in the D
                post. No chance of any drain into the trunk from here.

                Believe me - unless you have a seriously defective seal, or park on
                a slope, condensation is the trunk problem !

                Jim Butterworth (Somerset, UK)
                1984 528i SE auto

                --- In bmwe28@..., Darrell Davis <zadious@y...> wrote:
                > hey Dale, try the sunroof downtubes,i think 4 in all,
                > they can flood the trunk when they get clogged. mine
                > did the same thing, some flexible plastic or an old
                > antenna will do the trick...
                >
                > --- dale antonio <mrktace@y...> wrote:
                >
                > > I love my e28. but im having a problem solving the
                > > mysterious moisture im geting in the trunk
                > > compartment. i have checked the rubber seal,
                > > reinforced it with silicon sealer but im still
                > > geting
                > > wet. i wonder where its coming from. any sugestions
                > > guys. tnx.
                > >

                > > __________________________________
                > > Discover Yahoo!
                > > Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news and
                > > more. Check it out!
                > > http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html

                > Yahoo! Sports
              • Ron Kall
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 20, 2005
                  Group,

                  any clue to car dead with ignition off. inside lights
                  will not come on, and no ability for door locks to function.
                  car fine with ignition on. I seem to have remembered this
                  from the past. does this mean I will be buying a battery soon?
                  I do not recall what happened the last time this happened?

                  Ron Kall
                  Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

                  1986 528e
                  1985 535i

                  Yahoo! Sports
                  http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
                • garageboydotcom
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 20, 2005
                    Hi all.

                    This may be useful information:

                    In addition to the sunroof drains and the trunk seal that others have
                    mentioned, I believe there is a third potential culprit... the
                    taillight seals. My experience has been that over the years, these
                    seals (which cost no more than ten quid apiece) get thinner and dry
                    out, leaving small openings that due to the aerodynamics of the E28,
                    allow water to enter the trunk through these openings. They're quite
                    easy to replace.

                    Hope this helps,
                    .steve.
                    2001 525i, 52K miles
                    1987 528e, 233K miles
                    1983 528e, 317K miles
                    http://garageboy.com
                  • Ron Kall
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 16, 2005
                      tail-lights have seals that dry out.

                      --- dale antonio <mrktace@...> wrote:

                      > I love my e28. but im having a problem solving the
                      > mysterious moisture im geting in the trunk
                      > compartment. i have checked the rubber seal,
                      > reinforced it with silicon sealer but im still geting
                      > wet. i wonder where its coming from. any sugestions
                      > guys. tnx.
                      >

                      > __________________________________
                      > Discover Yahoo!
                      > Get on-the-go sports scores, stock quotes, news and more. Check it out!
                      > http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html

                      Ron Kall
                      Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

                      1986 528e
                      1985 535i

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • Gil Thereault
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 16, 2005
                        I removed both rear light assemblies and used a good quality silicone caulk on both sides of the dried out seal and reassembled. I have not had any problem for the past four years. An easy do it yourself fix.

                        Gil Thereault
                        86 535i 190k