clutch replace

  • rufus d'bauchee
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2005
      I'm in the middle of replaceing the clutch on a 1984 528e.
      it just plain sucks.
      the top bolts (E16 reverse torx) are IMPOSSIBLE.
      One of the 2 bolts THRU bolting the starter to the engine and tranny required me to buy a 17mm flare nut wrench and grind it down to fit on the damn thing.
      I will make a full post when I'm done and give out any insght I picked up (and there is ALOT).
      I'm down to the last 1 E16 torx at the very top, and I decided to buy an additional socket (which meant a 9pc. set) and welding a wrench to the side of it at an angle to reach it from the top, after removing all the heater hoses and vacuum hoses to access it.
      WHAT A BEAR!!!!

      just needed to vent a bit.
      thanks

    • calmloki
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 23, 2005
        Have you lowered the rear of the transmission and are you using
        several long wobbly extensions? I agree. A bear.
        Tom

        --- In bmwe28@..., rufus d'bauchee <otteronbass@y...>
        wrote:
        > I'm in the middle of replaceing the clutch on a 1984 528e.
        > it just plain sucks.
        > the top bolts (E16 reverse torx) are IMPOSSIBLE.
        > One of the 2 bolts THRU bolting the starter to the engine and
        tranny required me to buy a 17mm flare nut wrench and grind it down
        to fit on the damn thing.
        > I will make a full post when I'm done and give out any insght I
        picked up (and there is ALOT).
        > I'm down to the last 1 E16 torx at the very top, and I decided to
        buy an additional socket (which meant a 9pc. set) and welding a
        wrench to the side of it at an angle to reach it from the top, after
        removing all the heater hoses and vacuum hoses to access it.
        > WHAT A BEAR!!!!
        >

        > just needed to vent a bit.
        > thanks

      • rufus d'bauchee
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 24, 2005
          I lowered the back of the assembly to get at the side and upper side ones, lots of extentions held together with electrical tape.
          I jacked it back up high to get at the top starter bolt & nut combo, and this last rev. torx.

          calmloki <calmloki@...> wrote:
          Have you lowered the rear of the transmission and are you using
          several long wobbly extensions? I agree. A bear.
          Tom

        • Andrew W. Hill
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 24, 2005
            My 1986 535i has a stopped odometer, but the spedometer works just
            fine. I hear there's a plastic sprocket that might have gone for a
            walk? Where can I get a replacement? Is the repair tricky?
            Thanks!
            Andrew
          • Ron Kall
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
              I just had the same problem on my 1986 528e.
              Check the past posts. There is a gear that
              breaks. I suppose that it is behind the guages.
              I am just letting mine go for the time being.
              I am not sure what the benefit is to fixing it.
              I track my miles via log now so I know when it
              is time to change the oil et al.

              Let me know what you find out.

              --- "Andrew W. Hill" <jessicat@...> wrote:

              > My 1986 535i has a stopped odometer, but the spedometer works just
              > fine. I hear there's a plastic sprocket that might have gone for a
              > walk? Where can I get a replacement? Is the repair tricky?
              > Thanks!
              > Andrew

              Ron Kall
              Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

              1986 528e
              1985 535i

              __________________________________
              Yahoo! Mail for Mobile
              http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail
            • chris insalaco
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26, 2005
                Ron,
                Bavarian autosport carries the plastic gears. I have an 83 528e that is running an 81 733 speedometer while the original sits and waits for repair. Whoever fixes first reports first. Also my "inspection" light is always on, any ideas?

                Thanks, Chris

                Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:
                I just had the same problem on my 1986 528e.
                Check the past posts. There is a gear that
                breaks. I suppose that it is behind the guages.
                I am just letting mine go for the time being.
                I am not sure what the benefit is to fixing it.
                I track my miles via log now so I know when it
                is time to change the oil et al.

                Let me know what you find out.

                --- "Andrew W. Hill" <jessicat@...> wrote:

                > My 1986 535i has a stopped odometer, but the spedometer works just
                > fine. I hear there's a plastic sprocket that might have gone for a
                > walk? Where can I get a replacement? Is the repair tricky?
                > Thanks!
                > Andrew

                Ron Kall
                Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

                1986 528e
                1985 535i

              • tvanheirseele
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 23, 2005
                  I know there are lots of 5 series BMW's around here in the states
                  which are "for parts" and you could get another gauge cluster
                  to swap speedo heads with. I myself have a spare that has a bad
                  "S.I." board in it. It's not right for a european version, but is U.S.
                  It is very easy to pull a cluster out of a car.... I could offer it
                  up if you could use it...