Anyone have any info on swapping an M21 into an E30?

  • Ben
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2005
      Hey guys,

      Living with gas prices at $3.05 a gallon or so here in Southern California, I recently
      decided to start looking into alternative fuels...

      Since I also own a few (3 to be exact) E30 325's, and since no-one that I know of in the
      USA has a diesel-powered E30, I thought it would be neat to swap a diesel M21 motor into
      an E30 and then run it on veggie oil.

      However, I'm finding zero documentation on swapping the M21 into a gas-powered E30.

      I would be using the motor from an '85 524td, and the recipient would be my '85 325e.

      All I've been able to find out so far is that I would have to bolt the M20B27 oilpan from my
      325e onto the M21, and of course I will need to clean the gasoline out of the fuel tank and
      lines of the 325e and swap the DME.

      Does anyone have any more info on what might be involved?

      Thanks!

      Ben