petrol smell and gearbox noise

  • maca600ss
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2005
      If I start my 528i then stop it I get a petrol smell coming from the car it is not
      inside the or inthe boot and I don't get a smell after the car has been running
      for a while any ideas anyone? also my girl has done 341000klms and there is
      a noise coming I think from the center bearing in the gearbox does anyone
      know how hard they are to change or am I better of letting a shop do it.
    • Darrell Davis
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2005
        i have run across the same problem, it was the small
        connector hose from the rail fuel pump and the large
        filter on a u.s. model, i think when the car is shut
        down, the pressure that builds up backs up and causes
        the fuel to seep out there. take a look and see if
        there is a dirty shellack looking film around the
        pump... good luck.