Auxiliary air valve and idle speed

  • Arny K.
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2005
      Hello all,

      I'm confused by the functioning of the auxiliary air valve on my 528i. AFAIK, my previous valve did not function at all, so we have replaced it with another. However, it still doesn't work as I'd expect - from what I know, both carburetted engines with choke and motronic controlled engines work with higher idle speed when cold, but this is not the case with my engine. It works on the same or more often lower RPM when cold.

      I've checked how much the valve is open, and found out that it is barely cracked open. The environmental temperature is still high though, but I'd still expect it to open more when the engine is cold.

      Could someone give me some advice about how much should the valve be open, and should the idle be higher when cold and if so, by how much?

    • tim hardin
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2005
        was the replacement valve new?
        if not I have another that i will send you for postage only( used) you could try it.
        be in touch...
        Damion
        e28 m5

        "Arny K." <arny@...> wrote:

        Hello all,

        I'm confused by the functioning of the auxiliary air valve on my 528i. AFAIK, my previous valve did not function at all, so we have replaced it with another. However, it still doesn't work as I'd expect - from what I know, both carburetted engines with choke and motronic controlled engines work with higher idle speed when cold, but this is not the case with my engine. It works on the same or more often lower RPM when cold.

        I've checked how much the valve is open, and found out that it is barely cracked open. The environmental temperature is still high though, but I'd still expect it to open more when the engine is cold.

        Could someone give me some advice about how much should the valve be open, and should the idle be higher when cold and if so, by how much?

      • mageidt
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7, 2005
          Hi,

          It could be a temperature sensor that is giving you this trouble
          their input signal is vital to have the electronic engine controller
          give the right signals to this valve, so I suggest check all
          temperature sensors make sure they are functioning normal.

          Reg. Mike

          --- In bmwe28@..., "Arny K." <arny@p...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I'm confused by the functioning of the auxiliary air valve on my
          528i. AFAIK, my previous valve did not function at all, so we have
          replaced it with another. However, it still doesn't work as I'd
          expect - from what I know, both carburetted engines with choke and
          motronic controlled engines work with higher idle speed when cold,
          but this is not the case with my engine. It works on the same or
          more often lower RPM when cold.

          > I've checked how much the valve is open, and found out that it is
          barely cracked open. The environmental temperature is still high
          though, but I'd still expect it to open more when the engine is cold.

          > Could someone give me some advice about how much should the valve
          be open, and should the idle be higher when cold and if so, by how
          much?

        • chris insalaco
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7, 2005
            Arny,

            I'm assuming your talking about the auxilliary air valve that has a bimetallic strip that is heated by the engine and a simple hot and ground circuit with a plug like a fuel injector. Try putting it in the freezer (plastic bag) give it some time and look through it and see how big and what shape it looks like. Toss it in some hot water and look again. It should change. Big opening cold, smaller when hot

            much luck, Chris 83 528e 278k mi.

          • Arny K.
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
              At 15:36 07/09/2005 +0000, you wrote:
              >Hi,
              >
              >It could be a temperature sensor that is giving you this trouble
              >their input signal is vital to have the electronic engine controller
              >give the right signals to this valve, so I suggest check all
              >temperature sensors make sure they are functioning normal.
              >
              >Reg. Mike

              Well, this is not the case, this is a simple bimetallic strip air bypas. But now that you mentioned it, I was wondering which models exactly had that electronic idle control. I've read about it in the Haynes manual and on the net, but never saw one myself. Are there 528i cars with that instead of Jetronic's classic air valve? I was wondering if I could perhaps retrofit that system to my car to obtain more stable idle...

            • Arny K.
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
                At 15:12 07/09/2005 -0700, you wrote:
                > I'm assuming your talking about the auxilliary air valve that has a bimetallic strip that is heated by the engine and a simple hot and ground circuit with a plug like a fuel injector. Try putting it in the freezer (plastic bag) give it some time and look through it and see how big and what shape it looks like. Toss it in some hot water and look again. It should change. Big opening cold, smaller when hot

                I probably should do that, but what's keeping me from it is that I found out it's surprisingly complicated to remove that part. I'd need to find enough time to do that, and even if I find out it doesn't work, I'd need to put it all back, and dismantle it again when I find a working valve.

                I think I'll try to find another one first then test and compare both, then put back the one which works (better)...

              • Arny K.
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
                  At 08:16 07/09/2005 -0700, you wrote:
                  >was the replacement valve new?

                  No, it was a used one... this one is at least cracked open, the previous one was tight closed even in winter :|

                  >if not I have another that i will send you for postage only( used) you could try it.
                  >be in touch...
                  >Damion
                  >e28 m5

                  Thank you very much for your kind offer. I hope I'll be able to find one here, so I'd need not discomfort you.

                  Arny