Re: [bmw e28] Hi beam Lo beam switching on its own

  • agentmidnight
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2005
      Yes I had the exact same problem last year with my 1986 528e. It seamed to
      be a very old problem that had been ignored and "Mickey moused" to patch the
      problem and over time well the patch stopped working. At one point the high
      beams would constantly come on(not good at night if you are on the road
      going past a police officer and you start flashing your high beams at them
      ;-) )
      Well in the past if I bent the control arm that also controls the OBC a
      little it would stop but that weekend the metal and it fell off at one point
      and I had to replace the switch. I found one really cheap from
      www.theeurodepot.com and its not to touch to install.
      -Dana

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2005
        On Wednesday 28 September 2005 12:14 PM, skyfly44kk
        wrote:
        > Has anyone seen this problem? Whilst driving at
        night, the headlamps
        > switch to Hi- beam from Lo-beam on their own.Don't
        seem to be able to
        > keep them on Lo- beam. Anyone with a possible fix?

        Exorcism.
      • Blake Nancarrow
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2005
          On Wednesday 28 September 2005 1:48 PM, tim hardin
          wrote:
          > relay.

          For the last couple of Canadian winters, I was having
          a nagging relay problem. Driving along and all of a
          sudden the car dies. After some fiddling, I found it
          to be the fuel relay. I'd remove it, scrap the crude
          off the contacts, try to blow the goop out of the fuse
          box, reinstall, and fire it up.

          As impressed as I am with BMW design, I think the fuse
          box and relay layout in our cars sucks! Very
          susceptible to the environment, not to mention the
          heat-cycling from the motor. Good 'ole Bosch
          electronics too!

          At some point, I'm going to replace the half-melted
          box with a new one.

          So try changing the relays before disassembling the
          steering column...

          cheers,
          Blake

          88 E30 M3 diamond black, steel brake lines,
          performance pads and rotors, Raven DTM exhaust,
          loaner starter motor, Willz.ca S14 stock motor
          84 E28 528e sapphire blue, shocks, sway bars, K&N
          air filter, limited-slip, steel brake lines, new
          starter, cool starter button just like an S2000!
          84 E28 528e rusty brown, pushing up daisies