RE: [bmw e28] Clutch work tips

  • Doug Dykaar
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
      Larry, et al.,

      While the tranny was out, I had a friend machine bronze bushings to replace
      the worn out plastic crap the factory used. I removed the whole assembly and
      left it with the machinist.

      Mine was definately the throwout bearing. Only made noise when the pedal was
      depressed, even in neutral. The bearing was not sealed, so no surprise it
      failed first. plenty of material left on the clutch plate, so the bearing is
      a poor match for the rest of the parts. Feh.

      Regards,

      Doug

      86 951 http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393
      94 855 turbo wagon
    • martin walker
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
        Can anyone tell me if they have bought and installed
        any of these and really seen significant benefits.If
        so what were they?

        What's the word!

        Any performance benefits to recommend in general.

        I have new exhaust system & just putting K&N air flow
        induction kit on.

        Still looking for taillights if anyone can get their
        hands on them or direct me to someone who might have
        them.

        Anyone know where I can get an immaculate genuine
        replacement windshield internal mirror.?

        --- Doug Dykaar <ddykaar@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Larry, et al.,

        While the tranny was out, I had a friend machine
        bronze bushings to replace
        the worn out plastic crap the factory used. I removed
        the whole assembly and
        left it with the machinist.

        Mine was definately the throwout bearing. Only made
        noise when the pedal was
        depressed, even in neutral. The bearing was not
        sealed, so no surprise it
        failed first. plenty of material left on the clutch
        plate, so the bearing is
        a poor match for the rest of the parts. Feh.

        Regards,

        Doug

        86 951
        http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393
        94 855 turbo wagon

        Terms of Service.

      • Frances Camara
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2005
          Hay,
          to be quite honest i'm not sure if they do work?
          and even if they do work i'm not sure if it would make a big improvement to performance to your car.
          inregards to the new exhaust system and k&n airfilter that's a smart move to improve performance on your car.
          inregards to the imac mirror,got no clue maybe www.ebay.com.au,
          maybe they'll have something your after.
          goodluck with the performance of the car.
          takecare
          chao

          --- Doug Dykaar <ddykaar@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------
          Larry, et al.,

          While the tranny was out, I had a friend machine
          bronze bushings to replace
          the worn out plastic crap the factory used. I removed
          the whole assembly and
          left it with the machinist.

          Mine was definately the throwout bearing. Only made
          noise when the pedal was
          depressed, even in neutral. The bearing was not
          sealed, so no surprise it
          failed first. plenty of material left on the clutch
          plate, so the bearing is
          a poor match for the rest of the parts. Feh.

          Regards,

          Doug

          86 951
          http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393
          94 855 turbo wagon

          Terms of Service.

        • Robert Allan
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 30, 2005
            I haven't heard anything about there chips, but i can say that for
            the e28 performance chips do work usually better than the stock, and
            its claimed to get an extra 20 hp from the 535i with some, however i
            think it'd be better to look into other chips besides bav autos
            haven't really heard much about these chips at all.
            --- In bmwe28@..., Frances Camara <babybima@y...>

            Service.

          • Bob Sutterfield
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 31, 2005
              martin walker wrote:
              > Can anyone tell me if they have bought and installed
              > any of these and really seen significant benefits.If
              > so what were they?
              > Any performance benefits to recommend in general.

              The chip sold by http://bavauto.com is from some other tuner, with BavAuto's
              label. It likely performs as advertised. In the US market, the two major
              reputable chipmakers are Jim Conforti (sold by <http://sharked.com> and
              <http://turnermotorsport.com>) and Mark D'Sylva <http://dsylva-tech.ca>. I
              have been delighted with the results of JC chips on three BMWs so far,
              including my 535iS.

              Whatever you do, avoid an "eBay chip". If it was made by a reputable tuner,
              it's a pirated ripoff copy and a violation of the tuner's intellectual
              property rights. If it wasn't made by a reputable tuner, you have no way to
              know it won't grenade your engine.

              > I have new exhaust system & just putting K&N
              > air flow induction kit on.

              These change the sound of your car but they won't add any horsepower to an
              engine with the stock head. Some aftermarket exhaust systems weigh less
              than stock, so the benefit is there's less mass to accelerate. It's cheaper
              to go on a diet. Be careful with K&N oiled gauze filters: They pass more
              particulates (thus permitting more engine damage) through their entire life
              cycle, and they flow less air when they're dirty.
              --
              Bob Sutterfield
              '88 E28 535iS lachssilber-met (ex)
              Message 6 of 6 , 2 Nov 10:16
                Bob, thanks for the comments.
                Do you have actual improvement numbers on the JC that
                you could define or how did you see this difference?

                Do you suggest I dont put K&N filter on .Would you
                leave as is or put something else on?

                appreciate your view

                --- Bob Sutterfield <bob@...> wrote: