Brake warning light?

  • garygeorge3
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
      Hi guys,

      I have an '84 528i, recently the brake warning light has appeared. It's the symbol next to
      the park/handbrake warning light.
      According to the owners manual it suggests a problem with the split circuit system,
      hinting at a malfunction with either the braking or power steering systems.
      When driving after a few miles the light appears, if you turn the steering wheel or brake, it
      disappears, basically it is only on when driven in a straight line not braking.
      When I brake the pedal travels the first inch, nothing happens then all the brakes suddenly
      bite! this is a little disconcerting, as I fear death is never far away!
      Other than suggesting I drive in a straight line and not brake! Can anyone point me in the
      direction to start looking?

      Many thanks for reading this, Gary
    • Automobile Solutions
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
        Classic symptoms of a failing brake accumulator aka brake bomb. 64.00 part.
        Not too difficult

        Steve

        _____

[...]

        <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> .

      • Gil Thereault

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
            On Friday 7 October 2005 11:57 AM, Gil Thereault
            wrote:
            > If you have not bled the brakes in the past couple
            of years, this must be
            > done.

            Brake bleeding is a two-person job without special
            tools; a one-person job if you have a pressure
            "bleeder." I have to bleed my brakes regularly as I
            track my car. With the Bavarian Autosport pressure
            system it takes me 20 to 30 minutes, including getting
            the car in the air and the wheels off.

            cheers,
            Blake
          • gary edmonds
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
              Thanks for replying guys,
              Had an inspection 2 completed last year 7,000 miles
              ago brake and power steering fluid both changed for
              fresh, not sure the brakes have been bled, should they
              have been at the time the fluid was renewed?
              Would air in the system account for both the intial
              lack of braking and the warning light?
              Thanks for your time again guys.
              Gary.
              '84 528i auto.

              ---------------------------------
              wrote:
              > If you have not bled the brakes in the past couple
              of years, this must be
              > done.

              Brake bleeding is a two-person job without special
              tools; a one-person job if you have a pressure
              "bleeder." I have to bleed my brakes regularly as I
              track my car. With the Bavarian Autosport pressure
              system it takes me 20 to 30 minutes, including getting

              the car in the air and the wheels off.

              cheers,
              Blake

              Terms of Service.