87 528e won't start

  • y2jmk222
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
      I recently bought a non-running '87 528e. The ignition switch is non-
      functioning (at least to try starting the car, but seems to be ok in
      the "on" position), so I jumpered directly to the starter soleniod to
      turn the car over. The fuel pump does pressurize the line, and I have
      spark (the car will start on starting fluid), but the injectors are
      not doing anything. My question is this: does the car time the
      injectors the same way that it does the ignition, or does it use a
      different sensor. I think I can see two reference mark sensors (look
      identical to my Porsche 944's) so I am thinking one may be bad if one
      is for spark and the other for injection. Let me know if I am correct
      in my assumption or if I am way off base here.
    • Automobile Solutions
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
        Not a crank sensor problem as one controls spark and fuel and the other
        controls timing. If it has been sitting for a while, you may need to remove
        the injectors and clean them. I have seen injectors lacquer over after
        sitting for a while. In addition, is the car auto trans or manual ? The non
        cranking could be either a ign switch or a neutral safety switch.

        Steve

        _____

        I recently bought a non-running '87 528e. The ignition switch is non-
        functioning (at least to try starting the car, but seems to be ok in
        the "on" position), so I jumpered directly to the starter soleniod to
        turn the car over. The fuel pump does pressurize the line, and I have
        spark (the car will start on starting fluid), but the injectors are
        not doing anything. My question is this: does the car time the
        injectors the same way that it does the ignition, or does it use a
        different sensor. I think I can see two reference mark sensors (look
        identical to my Porsche 944's) so I am thinking one may be bad if one
        is for spark and the other for injection. Let me know if I am correct
        in my assumption or if I am way off base here.

        _____

        <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> .

      • KK P
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
          Hello Group,
          The rear lights and side marker lights do not work
          when I have the low beams on. However they will light
          up if I only have the switch in the middle position.
          Any ideas of how to fix it?
          Keith 84' 533i
          San Francisco

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Music Unlimited
          http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
        • Blake Nancarrow
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
            Quoting y2jmk222 <jmk222@...>:

            > The fuel pump does pressurize the line

            Where are you measuring the fuel pressure?
            Our cars have 2 pumps:
            - pump in tank, low pressure
            - pump under car, high pressure

            Car should work if in-tank pump is not functioning; the high-pressure
            pump can draw the fuel from the tank and pressurize it for the
            injectors.

            Cheers,
            Blake

            Blake Nancarrow blaken@...
            Computer Ease http://computer-ease.com/

            (sent via webmail while at PB/K)
          • Darrell Davis
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
              you may also have a bad fuel pressure regulator that
              is not allowing the pressure to build up properly and
              dumping the fuel back into the tank. i would agree on
              the clogged injectors, the 4.6l crown vic engines use
              ahigher flow but comparable lbs. injector that works
              well in an 2.5l or 2.7l and much cheaper as well.

              --- Automobile Solutions

              __________________________________
            • Ron Kall
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
                fuel pump relay or main relay.
                check those before off to the shop.
                i did not and spent 250 instead of
                22. it was the feul pump relay.

                --- Darrell Davis <zadious@...> wrote:

                > you may also have a bad fuel pressure regulator that
                > is not allowing the pressure to build up properly and
                > dumping the fuel back into the tank. i would agree on
                > the clogged injectors, the 4.6l crown vic engines use
                > ahigher flow but comparable lbs. injector that works
                > well in an 2.5l or 2.7l and much cheaper as well.
                >
                > --- Automobile Solutions
                > <automobilesolutions@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Not a crank sensor problem as one controls spark and
                > > fuel and the other
                > > controls timing. If it has been sitting for a while,
                > > you may need to remove
                > > the injectors and clean them. I have seen injectors
                > > lacquer over after
                > > sitting for a while. In addition, is the car auto
                > > trans or manual ? The non
                > > cranking could be either a ign switch or a neutral
                > > safety switch.
                > >

                > > Steve
                > >

                > > _____

                Ron Kall
                Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

                1986 528e
                1985 535i

                __________________________________
              • tim hardin
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 12, 2005
                  also try having someone shift the ecu under the dash in the glovebox. this can also cause sudden cut out, then refusal to start. literally move it around a 1/4 inch useing force the bad connection in the box may show them self. its not the plug.

                  Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:fuel pump relay or main relay.

                  Ron Kall
                  Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

                  1986 528e
                  1985 535i

                • william ripley
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 13, 2005
                    HEY THERE GUY'S AND GALS

                    I HAVE AN 87 535I AND AM HAVING AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

                    THE CIRCUT THAT HAS THE LIGHTER, DASH LIGHTS AND REAR
                    LEFT LIGHTS IS CONSTANTLY BLOWING FUSES. 8 AMP FUSE FO
                    THAT LINE.

                    I ORIGINALL TRIED REPLACING THE DASH DIMMER SWITCH AS
                    IT WAS A BIT WONKY BEFORE THIS STARTED, BUT THIS DID
                    NOT HELP

                    HAS SOMEONE HAD THIS PARTICULAR PROBLEM ( I KNOW
                    ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS ARE A PAIN TO SOURCE ) OR COULD
                    SOMWEONE RECOMENND A SITE OR REFERENCE THAT I COULD
                    GET A CLEARER PICTURE OF THAT CIRCUT ( I ONLY HAVE THE
                    HAYES BOOK 325'S AND 525'S .

                    THANKS BILL

                    Bill Ripley

                    bilripley@...

                  • william ripley
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 13, 2005
                      I KNOW THIS SOUNDS DUMB,

                      BUT HAVE YOU TRIED REPPLACING THEW TOGGLE SWIITCH TO
                      START. IF IT IS ON THE SAME LINE IT MAY BE THE
                      CULPRIT.

                      Bill Ripley

                      bilripley@...

                    • tim hardin

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 14, 2005
                          Thank you Bill,
                          I think you are correct about the switch.
                          Keith

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 28, 2005
                            I need a replacement fuse block for my 1988 528e - anyone know where I might
                            find one?

                            Ken@...

                          • Frances Camara
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 29, 2005
                              Hay,
                              Hay if you want you can check up ebay for parts or even your local BMW wreckers,
                              thats all i can think of...
                              takecare
                              chao

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 29, 2005
                                Hay,
                                Can't help you with this problem but i no a gud website that has info as well as diagrams.
                                it's: www.howstuffworks.com.au or look up your bima online and get all the info you need.
                                takecare
                                chao

                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 29, 2005
                                  Hay,
                                  Sorry can't help you but goodluck with that
                                  takecare
                                  chao

                                  KK P <bigdogsfman@...> wrote:
                                  Hello Group,
                                  The rear lights and side marker lights do not work
                                  when I have the low beams on. However they will light
                                  up if I only have the switch in the middle position.
                                  Any ideas of how to fix it?
                                  Keith 84' 533i
                                  San Francisco

                                • agentmidnight
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                                    www.theurodepot.com is a great place to check and they
                                    ship world wide.
                                    Tell them Dana from the car club sent you :-)

                                    > Hay if you want you can check up ebay for parts or even your local BMW
                                    > wreckers,
                                    > thats all i can think of...
                                    > takecare
                                    > chao
                                    >
                                    > Ken <ken@...> wrote:
                                    > I need a replacement fuse block for my 1988 528e - anyone know where I
                                    > might
                                    > find one?
                                    >

                                    > Ken@...

                                  • Ken
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 31, 2005
                                      Dana

                                      Link works better with extra "e"

                                      Thanks

                                      <http://www.theeurodepot.com/> http://www.theeurodepot.com/

                                      _____

                                      _____

                                      Message 18 of 20 , 1 Nov 15:46
                                        You are welcome :-)
                                        Sorry about the typo.
                                        -Dana
                                        Message 19 of 20 , 1 Nov 18:02
                                          Your welcome - these guys were very helpful and even explained ways to get
                                          around buying the fuse block.

                                          They will get my next order.

                                          _____

                                          Message 20 of 20 , 2 Nov 14:40
                                            No problem, Joel and Nick are awesome.
                                            One thing I like a lot is they test all the used parts(they sell new also)
                                            and CLEAN the used part so you do not have to spend time later.
                                            -Dana