Brake Accumulator

  • garygeorge3
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 14, 2005
      Hi guys,
      Earlier this month I posted a question regarding the brake warning light on my e28. The
      advice was to replace the brake accumulator, I have managed to track one down in the
      UK....not easy!
      My question is this, has anyone changed one of these and if so, can you advise me how to
      please?
      If any guys in the UK are interested I can highly recommend KMS, very helpful and good
      stock of BMW/Mercedes parts: www.kmsparts.com
      Thanks in advance,
      Gary.
    • David Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 17, 2005
        I've changed one out. It's not too difficult. It is
        located (as you stand in front of the car facing
        towards it) just in front of the steering wheel (on
        the engine side under the hood. It is at the top.
        You can't see the bomb (brake accumlator) that easily
        but if you look carefully, you'll see it just below.
        I can't remember the wrench sizes, so you'll have to
        check it out. Check out the article linked below. It
        was easier to repair than I thought it would be. I
        had to purchase a new bomb and I just took the whole
        bomb/power flow regulator in with me and they pulled
        the bomb off and replaced. It saved me alot of money.

        http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/bomb.htm

        --- garygeorge3 <garygeorge3@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys,
        > Earlier this month I posted a question regarding the
        > brake warning light on my e28. The
        > advice was to replace the brake accumulator, I have
        > managed to track one down in the
        > UK....not easy!
        > My question is this, has anyone changed one of these
        > and if so, can you advise me how to
        > please?
        > If any guys in the UK are interested I can highly
        > recommend KMS, very helpful and good
        > stock of BMW/Mercedes parts: www.kmsparts.com
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Gary.

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
      • paul hawkins
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 19, 2005
          >From: David Rodriguez <daverodus@...>
          >To: bmwe28@...
          >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] Brake Accumulator
          >Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 05:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >I've changed one out. It's not too difficult. It is
          >located (as you stand in front of the car facing
          >towards it) just in front of the steering wheel (on
          >the engine side under the hood. It is at the top.
          >You can't see the bomb (brake accumlator) that easily
          >but if you look carefully, you'll see it just below.
          >I can't remember the wrench sizes, so you'll have to
          >check it out. Check out the article linked below. It
          >was easier to repair than I thought it would be. I
          >had to purchase a new bomb and I just took the whole
          >bomb/power flow regulator in with me and they pulled
          >the bomb off and replaced. It saved me alot of money.
          >

          >http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/bomb.htm
          >

          >--- garygeorge3 <garygeorge3@...> wrote:

          David,

          actually, my question is the one about a vacuum line diagram (below the
          question you are answering). Thanks anyway.

          You wouldn't happen to have a vacuum line diagram, would you?

          Paul hawkins
        • David Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 25, 2005
            No sure don't. I'll look and if I find one I'll
            reply.

            --- paul hawkins <phawkins633@...> wrote:

            > >From: David Rodriguez <daverodus@...>
            > >To: bmwe28@...
            > >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] Brake Accumulator
            > >Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 05:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
            > >
            > >I've changed one out. It's not too difficult. It
            > is
            > >located (as you stand in front of the car facing
            > >towards it) just in front of the steering wheel (on
            > >the engine side under the hood. It is at the top.
            > >You can't see the bomb (brake accumlator) that
            > easily
            > >but if you look carefully, you'll see it just
            > below.
            > >I can't remember the wrench sizes, so you'll have
            > >check it out. Check out the article linked below.
            > It
            > >was easier to repair than I thought it would be. I
            > >had to purchase a new bomb and I just took the
            > whole
            > >bomb/power flow regulator in with me and they
            > pulled
            > >the bomb off and replaced. It saved me alot of
            > money.
            > >

            > >http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/bomb.htm
            > >

            > >--- garygeorge3 <garygeorge3@...> wrote:
            > >

            > David,
            >
            > actually, my question is the one about a vacuum line
            > diagram (below the
            > question you are answering). Thanks anyway.
            >
            > You wouldn't happen to have a vacuum line diagram,
            > would you?
            >
            > Paul hawkins

            __________________________________
          • Frances Camara
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 29, 2005
              Hay,
              thanks for that
              takecare
              chao

              David Rodriguez <daverodus@...> wrote:
              No sure don't. I'll look and if I find one I'll
              reply.

              --- paul hawkins <phawkins633@...> wrote:

              > >From: David Rodriguez <daverodus@...>
              > >To: bmwe28@...
              > >Subject: Re: [bmw e28] Brake Accumulator
              > >Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 05:47:26 -0700 (PDT)
              > >
              > >I've changed one out. It's not too difficult. It
              > is
              > >located (as you stand in front of the car facing
              > >towards it) just in front of the steering wheel (on
              > >the engine side under the hood. It is at the top.
              > >You can't see the bomb (brake accumlator) that
              > easily
              > >but if you look carefully, you'll see it just
              > below.
              > >I can't remember the wrench sizes, so you'll have
              > >check it out. Check out the article linked below.
              > It
              > >was easier to repair than I thought it would be. I
              > >had to purchase a new bomb and I just took the
              > whole
              > >bomb/power flow regulator in with me and they
              > pulled
              > >the bomb off and replaced. It saved me alot of
              > money.
              > >

              > >http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/bomb.htm
              > >

              > >--- garygeorge3 <garygeorge3@...> wrote:
              > >

              > David,
              >
              > actually, my question is the one about a vacuum line
              > diagram (below the
              > question you are answering). Thanks anyway.
              >
              > You wouldn't happen to have a vacuum line diagram,
              > would you?
              >
              > Paul hawkins

            • Frances Camara
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 29, 2005
                Hay,
                nar i dont have a diagram of it but i'll try my level best to get you one,as soon as i get it i'll email it to you.
                takecare
                chao

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 29, 2005
                  Hay,
                  nar i dont have a diagram of it but i'll try my level best to get you one,as soon as i get it i'll email it to you.
                  BTW: could you send me your vechile details so i get the rught diagram,thanks
                  takecare
                  chao

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 29, 2005
                    Hay,

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 29, 2005
                      Hay,

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 29, 2005
                        Hay,
                        sorry can't help you with this but goodkuck with it.
                        takecare
                        chao

                        garygeorge3 <garygeorge3@...> wrote:
                        Hi guys,
                        Earlier this month I posted a question regarding the brake warning light on my e28. The
                        advice was to replace the brake accumulator, I have managed to track one down in the
                        UK....not easy!
                        My question is this, has anyone changed one of these and if so, can you advise me how to
                        please?
                        If any guys in the UK are interested I can highly recommend KMS, very helpful and good
                        stock of BMW/Mercedes parts: www.kmsparts.com
                        Thanks in advance,
                        Gary.

                      • Robert Allan
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 30, 2005
                          hello,

                          Actually i just replaced mine a couple of months ago first thing you
                          want to do is get a big seringe or similar pump device and get all
                          the hydraulic oil out of the power steering reservior (you will have
                          to pull the circlip off the top of the bolt in the centre and remove
                          the screen), then you need a set of flare wrenches to remove all the
                          fittings from the regulator (the black thing that the brake bomb is
                          screwed into) now removing the fittings is probably going to be the
                          most difficult part of the job cos they may be pretty stiff and the
                          regulator tends to move around a bit since its mounting bracket is a
                          bit flimsy.
                          anyway once you get the fittings off (i think there are 4 or 5) un
                          bolt the regulator and bomb from the mounting bracket, put the
                          regulator in the jaws of a vice now you unscrew the bomb, i used a 2
                          foot stillson wrench (aka monkey wrench) to get it off i tried about
                          100 times with a band oil filter wrench but no joy.
                          anyway once you get that off its time to put the o-ring on the new
                          bomb(accumulator) and screw the new one into the regulator, then put
                          your fittings back on the regulator and bolt the regulator back into
                          its bracket. Now you have to put some dextron in the powersteering
                          reservior and raise the front wheels, turn the wheel a few times
                          pumping the brake as you go until you don't see anymore bubbles in
                          power steering reservior, then lower the car and do the same thing
                          again. and DON'T put more power steering fluid than 1 cm below the
                          top of the reservior.

                          hope this helps

                          --- In bmwe28@..., Frances Camara <babybima@y...>
                          wrote:
                          > Hay,
                          > sorry can't help you with this but goodkuck with it.
                          > takecare
                          > chao
                          >
                          > garygeorge3 <garygeorge3@y...> wrote:
                          > Hi guys,
                          > Earlier this month I posted a question regarding the brake warning
                          light on my e28. The
                          > advice was to replace the brake accumulator, I have managed to
                          track one down in the
                          > UK....not easy!
                          > My question is this, has anyone changed one of these and if so,
                          can you advise me how to
                          > please?
                          > If any guys in the UK are interested I can highly recommend KMS,
                          very helpful and good
                          > stock of BMW/Mercedes parts: www.kmsparts.com
                          > Thanks in advance,
                          > Gary.

                          Service.

                        • Gil Thereault
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 30, 2005
                            Additional:

                            While the PS Reservoir is empty, there is filter (donut shape) at the very bottom under a metal plate. Inexpensive part $10-12, this will save you much headaches in the future i.e groaning, whining issues that will arise in time.

                            Robert's description is accurate and should take a first timer a couple of hours to complete.

                            wrote:
                            > Hay,
                            > sorry can't help you with this but goodkuck with it.
                            > takecare
                            > chao
                            >
                            > garygeorge3 <garygeorge3@y...> wrote:
                            > Hi guys,
                            > Earlier this month I posted a question regarding the brake warning
                            light on my e28. The
                            > advice was to replace the brake accumulator, I have managed to
                            track one down in the
                            > UK....not easy!
                            > My question is this, has anyone changed one of these and if so,
                            can you advise me how to
                            > please?
                            > If any guys in the UK are interested I can highly recommend KMS,
                            very helpful and good
                            > stock of BMW/Mercedes parts: www.kmsparts.com
                            > Thanks in advance,
                            > Gary.

                            Service.

                          • Robert Allan
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 31, 2005
                              yeah and also before you start touching anything, with the engine
                              turned off pump the brake pedal 20 times to bleed the hydraulic
                              pressure out of the regulator so you won't have as much shite
                              leaking out when you remove the fittings (i forgot to do that and it
                              was a crimson coloured dextron bloodbath on that side of the bonnet )

                              --- In bmwe28@..., Gil Thereault <giln1oiw2001@y...>

                              Service.