e34 suspension problem

  • Robert Allan
    Message 1 of 10 , 9 Nov 13:30
      hello everyone
      i know this isn't an e34 forum but i figured since the front
      suspension is almost identical to the e28 then someone on this forum
      should have an idea. I just bought a 92 525i and its pretty good i
      just noticed that road noise dramatically increases when i the wheel
      left of centre, but the same thing does not happen when i turn right.
      I was thinking that it was a worn control arm bush or a worn bush in
      the steering arm. any other ideas? and the car rides on r17/45 235s :-)
    • Roderick Tuason

          Message 4 of 10 , 9 Nov 14:02
            yeah i thought initially that it was the tyres, but then it only
            happens when i am turning in the left direction so i am hoping is is
            just the tyres, the car doesn't have any shimmy or tramlining so i
            am guessing that it can't be the thurst control arm (i think thats
            the lower control arm). i'll will have to check the tyre pressures.
            its just road noise really i can't really explain it any better than
            that. but it increases as i turn left but that doesn't seem to
            happen when i turn right, it is noticable at 60 km/h speed but very
            noticeable at 120 km/h (which i have never done because i am a law
            abiding citizen ;-) )

            --- In bmwe28@..., Roderick Tuason <rtuason@p...>
            wrote:
            > Can you go into detail on the noise??? It can be as simple as the
            tires....I went from 205 60 15 tires to 225 45 17 tires and had
            significant road noise due to the tire and wheel upgrade...keep in
            mind the 17 tire's have a stiffer sidewall

            > Robert Allan <robertmichael.allan@g...> wrote:
            > hello everyone
            > i know this isn't an e34 forum but i figured since the front
            > suspension is almost identical to the e28 then someone on this
            forum
            > should have an idea. I just bought a 92 525i and its pretty good i
            > just noticed that road noise dramatically increases when i the
            wheel
            > left of centre, but the same thing does not happen when i turn
            right.
            > I was thinking that it was a worn control arm bush or a worn bush
            in
            > the steering arm. any other ideas? and the car rides on r17/45
            235s :-)

            Service.

          • tim hardin

              Message 6 of 10 , 9 Nov 18:31
                Hi everyone. I have the US version of an 88 535is. The
                bumpers are aluminum and are hazy looking. No
                conventional product helps. Can anyone suggest a do-it
                yourself way to shine these puppies up? If not, any
                idea who does refurbishment? thanks, as always. Guy
                --- tim hardin <tdamionhardin@...> wrote:

                > wheel bearings will make niose when loaded. for
                > example: turning left makes noise louder= right
                > wheel bearing
                >
                > Roderick Tuason <rtuason@...> wrote:Can you
                > go into detail on the noise??? It can be as simple
                > as the tires....I went from 205 60 15 tires to 225
                > 45 17 tires and had significant road noise due to
                > the tire and wheel upgrade...keep in mind the 17
                > tire's have a stiffer sidewall
                >

                > Robert Allan <robertmichael.allan@...> wrote:
                > hello everyone
                > i know this isn't an e34 forum but i figured since
                > the front
                > suspension is almost identical to the e28 then
                > someone on this forum
                > should have an idea. I just bought a 92 525i and its
                > pretty good i
                > just noticed that road noise dramatically increases
                > when i the wheel
                > left of centre, but the same thing does not happen
                > when i turn right.
                > I was thinking that it was a worn control arm bush
                > or a worn bush in
                > the steering arm. any other ideas? and the car rides
                > on r17/45 235s :-)

                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                > removed]

                > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                > removed]

                __________________________________
                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • Robert Allan
                Message 7 of 10 , 9 Nov 20:06
                  yeah, i noticed it when i took a trip today to get my licence
                  renewed its also accompanied by more vibration felt in the cabin, i
                  will pump my tyres up, as i checked them and the fronts were about
                  24 psi !!! so i was thinking of running 34 psi all round

                  --- In bmwe28@..., tim hardin <tdamionhardin@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > wheel bearings will make niose when loaded. for example: turning
                  left makes noise louder= right wheel bearing

                  > Roderick Tuason <rtuason@p...> wrote:Can you go into detail on the
                  noise??? It can be as simple as the tires....I went from 205 60 15
                  tires to 225 45 17 tires and had significant road noise due to the
                  tire and wheel upgrade...keep in mind the 17 tire's have a stiffer
                  sidewall

                  > Robert Allan <robertmichael.allan@g...> wrote:
                  > hello everyone
                  > i know this isn't an e34 forum but i figured since the front
                  > suspension is almost identical to the e28 then someone on this
                  forum
                  > should have an idea. I just bought a 92 525i and its pretty good i
                  > just noticed that road noise dramatically increases when i the
                  wheel
                  > left of centre, but the same thing does not happen when i turn
                  right.
                  > I was thinking that it was a worn control arm bush or a worn bush
                  in
                  > the steering arm. any other ideas? and the car rides on r17/45
                  235s :-)

                  Service.

                  Service.

                • Robert Allan
                  Message 8 of 10 , 10 Nov 13:39
                    Now i am pretty sure its a wheel bearing, I'll get it checked out
                    when i get a service hopefully i will be able to get it under the
                    warranty that came with the car. Thanks for your help :-)

                    --- In bmwe28@..., "Robert Allan"
                    <robertmichael.allan@g...> wrote:
                    > yeah, i noticed it when i took a trip today to get my licence
                    > renewed its also accompanied by more vibration felt in the cabin,
                    > will pump my tyres up, as i checked them and the fronts were about
                    > 24 psi !!! so i was thinking of running 34 psi all round
                    >

                    > --- In bmwe28@..., tim hardin <tdamionhardin@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > wheel bearings will make niose when loaded. for example: turning
                    > left makes noise louder= right wheel bearing
                    > >
                    > > Roderick Tuason <rtuason@p...> wrote:Can you go into detail on
                    the
                    > noise??? It can be as simple as the tires....I went from 205 60 15
                    > tires to 225 45 17 tires and had significant road noise due to the
                    > tire and wheel upgrade...keep in mind the 17 tire's have a stiffer
                    > sidewall
                    > >

                    > > Robert Allan <robertmichael.allan@g...> wrote:
                    > > hello everyone
                    > > i know this isn't an e34 forum but i figured since the front
                    > > suspension is almost identical to the e28 then someone on this
                    > forum
                    > > should have an idea. I just bought a 92 525i and its pretty good
                    > > just noticed that road noise dramatically increases when i the
                    > wheel
                    > > left of centre, but the same thing does not happen when i turn
                    > right.
                    > > I was thinking that it was a worn control arm bush or a worn
                    bush
                    > in
                    > > the steering arm. any other ideas? and the car rides on r17/45
                    > 235s :-)

                    > Service.

                    > Service.

                  • phawkins535is
                    Message 9 of 10 , 10 Nov 16:06
                      Believe it or not, I tried using about a 1600 grit sandpaper. The fine
                      abbrasion actually polishes. It takes a little good old elbow grease,
                      but it buffs out quite well!
                    • Guy DiCesare
                      Message 10 of 10 , 12 Nov 16:58
                        Thanks. Got some 1600 today. What (if anything) do you
                        buff it out with? Thanks again. I'll see this car
                        looking good yet! Guy

                        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs