535is over heating problem

  • Samuel Cochran
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2005
      My 535is is over heating. When this happens all of the coolant spits out of
      the expansion tank and I'm left with a car thats getting way too hot. I have
      replaced the Thermostat cause I thought that was the problem, but upon
      replacing that, it did the same thing. I also thought it could have been
      that there was air in the system but even when I think I have let all of the
      air out of the bleeder valve, it still happens. Could it be that I am not
      getting all of the air out? Does anyone have further suggestions as to how I
      can fix this problem.
      Thanks for any help you can give...
      Sam
    • Joel T. Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 10, 2005
        What is your current mixture of antifreeze to water ratio on your vehicle right now? You may be running more antifreeze than water and thus not getting the cooling that you expect out of let's say a 50/50 or 70/30 mixture.

        Sincerely,

        Joel T. Gonzalez
        San Antonio, TX
        (83) 528e

        Samuel Cochran <scochran426@...> wrote:

        My 535is is over heating. When this happens all of the coolant spits out of
        the expansion tank and I'm left with a car thats getting way too hot. I have
        replaced the Thermostat cause I thought that was the problem, but upon
        replacing that, it did the same thing. I also thought it could have been
        that there was air in the system but even when I think I have let all of the
        air out of the bleeder valve, it still happens. Could it be that I am not
        getting all of the air out? Does anyone have further suggestions as to how I
        can fix this problem.
        Thanks for any help you can give...
        Sam

      • tim hardin

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2005
            sounds like a circulation problem, drain the tank and see what the
            coolant looks like, make sure it isn't too dirty if it is, you may
            have to get your system flushed. also make sure there is no oil in
            the coolant and coolant in the oil. avoid driving it until you know
            you've sorted the problem out. if the head warps cracks etc. you are
            in a world of pain, and overheating the engine will increase the
            risk of that happening

            --- In bmwe28@..., "Samuel Cochran" <scochran426@h...>
            wrote:

            > My 535is is over heating. When this happens all of the coolant
            spits out of
            > the expansion tank and I'm left with a car thats getting way too
            hot. I have
            > replaced the Thermostat cause I thought that was the problem, but
            upon
            > replacing that, it did the same thing. I also thought it could
            have been
            > that there was air in the system but even when I think I have let
            all of the
            > air out of the bleeder valve, it still happens. Could it be that I
            am not
            > getting all of the air out? Does anyone have further suggestions
            as to how I
            > can fix this problem.
            > Thanks for any help you can give...
            > Sam
          • greg_collen
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
              you need to check several things. it may not be the coolant. check
              the v belt, you checked the thermostat, auxillary fan may not be
              working. You need a bentley manual. If your trouble shooting you
              don't need to have coolant in it.(not for driving just testing while
              the car is sitting) Just make sure its full of water. Once you figure
              out the problem, drain it and replace with 50% coolant and 50%
              antifreeze, non phosphate kind only.

              wrote:

              > My 535is is over heating. When this happens all of the coolant
              spits out of
              > the expansion tank and I'm left with a car thats getting way too
              hot. I have
              > replaced the Thermostat cause I thought that was the problem, but
              upon
              > replacing that, it did the same thing. I also thought it could have
              been
              > that there was air in the system but even when I think I have let
              all of the
              > air out of the bleeder valve, it still happens. Could it be that I
              am not
              > getting all of the air out? Does anyone have further suggestions as
              to how I
              > can fix this problem.
              > Thanks for any help you can give...
              > Sam
            • Guy DiCesare
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
                Hi guys. My 88 535is temp gauge reads overload only
                when going up steep hills. Granted, it's under stress
                but the weird thing is that it IMMEDIATELY returns to
                normal when I start going downhill. If it were really
                hot (versus gauge malfunction) wouldn't it take more
                than 60 seconds to cool down? I've tried parking it
                nose up and bleeding it but no air comes out.Coolant
                mix is good, radiator is new, ditto hoses, thermostat
                and temp sender. When this acts up the temp gauge
                appears to be influenced by using signals, flashers,
                A/C etc ("influenced" means the needle goes up and
                down a millimeter or two in time with the signal or
                flasher). Now. I've been told the batteries in the
                cluster do wear out-and I've seen rebuilt ones on Ebay
                for $300 plus. Seems excessive for a battery change.
                Any thoughts would be appreciated. Don't want to blow
                the old girl up after all this work. Thanks Guy
                greg_collen <greg_collen@...> wrote:

                > you need to check several things. it may not be the
                > coolant. check
                > the v belt, you checked the thermostat, auxillary
                > fan may not be
                > working. You need a bentley manual. If your trouble
                > shooting you
                > don't need to have coolant in it.(not for driving
                > just testing while
                > the car is sitting) Just make sure its full of
                > water. Once you figure
                > out the problem, drain it and replace with 50%
                > coolant and 50%
                > antifreeze, non phosphate kind only.
                >
                > --- In bmwe28@..., "Samuel Cochran"
                > <scochran426@h...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > My 535is is over heating. When this happens all of
                > the coolant
                > spits out of
                > > the expansion tank and I'm left with a car thats
                > getting way too
                > hot. I have
                > > replaced the Thermostat cause I thought that was
                > the problem, but
                > upon
                > > replacing that, it did the same thing. I also
                > thought it could have
                > been
                > > that there was air in the system but even when I
                > think I have let
                > all of the
                > > air out of the bleeder valve, it still happens.
                > Could it be that I
                > am not
                > > getting all of the air out? Does anyone have
                > further suggestions as
                > to how I
                > > can fix this problem.
                > > Thanks for any help you can give...
                > > Sam

              • Robert Allan
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 21, 2005
                  I thought the batteries were only for the service indicator, don't
                  forget that the heater is also a good "gauge" for determining how
                  hot the coolant is. so you can work out whether the guage or the
                  cooling system is faulty

                  --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@y...>