528e no gear selection

  • skyfly44kk
    Message 1 of 4 , 17 Nov 09:25
      88 528e went out to start this morning, kicked over as usual.Put the
      gear selector in gear, wont move. Tried all gears just sits there.
      anyone have an idea?transmission was rebuilt at bmw repair shop about
      18 months ago.Running fine until this morning. anyone with
      experience ,expertise, his type of problem, let me borrow some of your
      talent.
      jim
    • Matt Meade
      Message 2 of 4 , 17 Nov 10:15
        It could be the linkage cable has broken. Not a major fix, but a major inconvenience.
        Matt Meade
        Ashland, OR
        85 535i Dinan

        skyfly44kk <skyfly44kk@...> wrote:
        88 528e went out to start this morning, kicked over as usual.Put the
        gear selector in gear, wont move. Tried all gears just sits there.
        anyone have an idea?transmission was rebuilt at bmw repair shop about
        18 months ago.Running fine until this morning. anyone with
        experience ,expertise, his type of problem, let me borrow some of your
        talent.
        jim

      • Blake Nancarrow
        Message 3 of 4 , 19 Nov 11:47
          group,

          It seems that 20 year old 528e cars don't like Canadian winters.

          The left front strut collapsed in my winter car. And the strut in my
          parts car has also failed (along with the spring breaking). The seat
          for the spring at the bottom of the strut has completely rusted out
          and broken away from the rest of the strut.

          Any one on the list have used spares?

          cheers and TIA,
          Blake

          Blake Nancarrow blaken@...
          Computer Ease http://computer-ease.com/

          (sent via webmail while in Union, Ontario)
        • Frances Camara
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2005
            Hay,
            How are you?
            I had the exact same problem except i got stuck on a set of lights on a main road.
            My 520i 85 model got towed to my mechanic, basically my selecter cable snapped and i got it replaced and it was fine.
            Takecare
            Chao