RE: [bmw e28] Digest Number 938

  • Doug Dykaar
    Message 1 of 2 , 20 Nov 05:49
      Blake,

      I twisted the top clean off trying to get the frozen strut out of mine. I
      got a rust free replacement from Vines (rondavines@...).

      I agree, Canadian winters suck.

      Regards,

      Doug

      86 951 http://www.pcaucr.org/pcaucr/forum/post.jsp?postid=2393
      94 855 turbo wagon

      Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:47:43 -0500
      From: Blake Nancarrow <blaken@...>
      Subject: front left strut needed

      group,

      It seems that 20 year old 528e cars don't like Canadian winters.

      The left front strut collapsed in my winter car. And the strut in my
      parts car has also failed (along with the spring breaking). The seat
      for the spring at the bottom of the strut has completely rusted out
      and broken away from the rest of the strut.

      Any one on the list have used spares?

      cheers and TIA,
      Blake

      Blake Nancarrow blaken@...
      Computer Ease http://computer-ease.com/

      (sent via webmail while in Union, Ontario)
    • Larry R.
      Message 2 of 2 , 20 Nov 09:38
        Blake,

        I live in Dallas, TX. And there are a lot of yards
        here loaded with E28 cars. From 528e to 535i.

        And almost all have complete front strut setups.

        I was trying to help Martin from this list on some
        tail lights (He is in Belgium) but the shipping cost
        to his country was horrile! Close to $300.00 USD.
        But the UPS guy told me that Canada postage is not
        much more than the US domestic rates.

        If you can't find anything, I can check here for
        prices since I know shipping to Canada is a lot less
        and this is not a hard part to remove from an E28
        since a lot of the parts are typically gone already.

        Let me know if you find anyone locally or if you have
        a border address that you can have items shipped to
        for pickup.

        I am calvin60 on Ebay if you want to check some of my
        more recent sales.

        Or if you need anything else while this is being
        repaired.

        One thing, while doing the replacement, you MIGHT want
        to consider a big brake upgrade. There is an email I
        just sent you about what fits as a bolt on for your
        car. I'm selling a brake upgrade today off my 88 735i
        to a buddy here that I had and didn't need. I belong
        to a Dallas Fiver yahoo group. AND, if you want the
        shock tower all set up with the big brake upgrade, I
        can create this at one yard I know because they have a
        lot of E28 fronts and a few 735i cars still. that
        means I can grab the larger front brake rotors and
        calipers and bolt them on before I go to the front
        desk. I will of course mark on the car what year the
        rotor and calipers are from so you can replace the
        pads as needed!

        Let me know if you want me to price this out.

        BTW, I was told that all 535is cars had front
        Bilsteins. I can check if the 535i that I grab has
        them also. Of course, the guuy at the counter would
        never know the difference since the strut is hidden in
        the cover.

        Again,

        Just let me know. I will be going to the yard first
        of the week.

        Larry
        Dallas, TX
        214.507.8715 cell
        214.342.3139 home (You can google my home number for
        my complete home address to verify me.

        And, Calvin60 on Ebay.

        2

        http://farechase.yahoo.com