Re: [bmw e28] Clunky strut (?)

  • doug dykaar
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2005
      Tony,

      Also check the bolts on the steering box. Mine were
      loose and the car clunked when reversing.
      The strut top bearings do go bad and the ball bearing
      in there isn't standard so the whole unit needs to be
      swapped out. Also check the steering linkage,
      including the "idler" or "pittman arm" and the center
      link. All the ball joints get sloppy eventually.

      Have fun!

      -doug

      Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:42:58 -0000
      From: "atmimp" <atmimp@...>
      Subject: Clunky strut.

      Hi all, hope you're having a good holiday.

      Im hopeing someone might be abull to tell me why my
      '86 520i auto is
      clunking from the front end.
      My first thoght ws the rollbar drop links, so
      changed them this
      morning. Its still the same! I know it's not a
      balljoint or thrust arm
      bush, as ALL the arms, bushies, tirods,etc have been
      changed and are
      all in good order.(only 2 mounths old)
      Could i be right in thinking that there is a
      'strut top bearing'
      of some kind on these cars, as it would seem like the
      hole strut is
      moving around. The problem is that the suspention
      'tightens' up when
      you jack it up, so its hard to tell without a
      stripdown.

      Any advice would be great,
      regards, Tony