How do you tell if your air flow sensor is bad?

  • purplehead2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2005
      Hi guys!,

      1983 B.M.W. 528e. I am back again after checking out a number of
      things on my vehicle like the following: fuel pump main & primer
      pump in tank, both reference sensors, fuel injectors, throttle
      sensor, fuel regulator, and oxy. sensor. Fortunately only some were
      changed while the others I was able to check out on my own.
      I had posted before as to what would make this car buckle or
      kick in after pressing in the accelerator once on the road. The
      vehicle idles but a little on the rough side as you can hear
      that "putt, putt, putt sound in the back that does not go away even
      with adjustment at the air sensor housing. When I drive the vehicle
      it is a little rough and right about 2,700 r.p.m.s. it kicks in and
      really purrs.
      Has anyone out there had this similar type of problem? Air
      flow sensor? How is it tested because I have 4 prongs but I have no
      values to check the sensor with a volt meter. Can anyone help me out
      with these values? How does an air flow unit actually start to fail?

      Thank you and Happy New Year!!!,

      Joel T. Gonzalez
      San Antonio, TX.

      (528e) 1983
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2005
        I have decided to part out this car rather than replace the transmission.
        All body parts are good, never hit, seats all work and look good. Alternator
        is new - in the last year I have replaced many parts, blower motor, dash
        module was reworked.

        Car is in Indianapolis - I have pictures to send and a mechanic/body man
        ready to remove them and ship -

        Please contact me by eMail at ken@... phone 317-243-7000 or
        800-875-8600

        I will consider all offers - payment preferred by PayPal.

        Thanks and Happy New Year

      • Gil Thereault
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2005
          If you have any interest, I have a getrag 260, with removable bell housing in my basement. I can give more details and pics. $350 plus shipping. Contact off list at giln1oiw2001@...

          Gil
          New Britain, CT

          Ken <ken@...> wrote:

          I have decided to part out this car rather than replace the transmission.
          All body parts are good, never hit, seats all work and look good. Alternator
          is new - in the last year I have replaced many parts, blower motor, dash
          module was reworked.

          Car is in Indianapolis - I have pictures to send and a mechanic/body man
          ready to remove them and ship -

          Please contact me by eMail at ken@... phone 317-243-7000 or
          800-875-8600

          I will consider all offers - payment preferred by PayPal.

          Thanks and Happy New Year

        • Greg Epps
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2005
            Make sure to post in the For Sale section at mye28.com. Tons of interest