Higher Octane Issues

  • ldsports808
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2006
      Hello all!

      I recentley put 89 octane(US) in my 528e when I normally use 87 octane
      (US). I noticed that my idle dropped from around 900 rpm to around
      650. It kind of feels like it wants to shut off. It is a kind of
      sputter.

      Since I filled the car up with 89 I am just waiting to refill it with
      87 to see if it makes a difference. But does anyone have any ideas if
      higher octane gas can cause this.

      Thanks!
      Mark (1986 528e)
    • Ed MacVaugh
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2006
        no.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2006
          Thanks Ed.

          Turns out my intake belows is torn pretty bad. Just ordered another
          from Bavarian Autosport.

          Mark
        • Ron Kall
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2006
            my 528e new started on 91,
            after some time, then 89,
            now only 87. I have had it
            since new in 1986, it has
            284k miles now. I think maybe
            you bought poor gas.

            rumor - engines run the best with the
            lowest octane that does not knock.

            --- Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@...> wrote:

            > no.
            >
            > ldsports808 wrote:
            >
            > >Hello all!
            > >
            > >I recentley put 89 octane(US) in my 528e when I normally use 87 octane
            > >(US). I noticed that my idle dropped from around 900 rpm to around
            > >650. It kind of feels like it wants to shut off. It is a kind of
            > >sputter.
            > >
            > >Since I filled the car up with 89 I am just waiting to refill it with
            > >87 to see if it makes a difference. But does anyone have any ideas if
            > >higher octane gas can cause this.

            Ron Kall
            Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

            1986 528e
            1985 535i

          • jose salas
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 28, 2006
              Hi:
              You can get a better performance using STARTRON GAS ADDITIVE from Starbrite.
              www.starbrite.com
              Rgrds
              Jose