Start up probelms

  • Alan Myler - at home
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2006
      I have a 1987 e28 520i.

      When I tried to start it yesterday (it's been sitting unused for a week at
      approx' zero degrees centigrade) it fires up ok but the battery light
      stays on and the engine is struggling to stay going.

      Then I press the accelerator pedal and the battery light goes out, the
      engine cuts out, and the central locking goes absolutely crazy!!

      Any ideas what could be wrong??

      Thanks,

      Alan

    • william ripley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2006
        ALAN

        I HAD SOME ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS RECENTLY. CAR JUST
        STALLED , SPUTTERED ECT. JUST BEFORE THE CIRCUT WITH
        THE RADIO AND THE SPEEDOMETER WENT DOWN.I CHECKED THE
        ALTERNATOR ( JUST BOUGGHT THE CAR LAST YEAR ) AND IT
        LOOKED OK. HAD TO REPLACE THE FUSE BOX. OTHER GOHSTS
        IN THE MACHIONE AS WELL, BUT BY REPLACING THE FUSE BOX
        ALL THE GOHSTS WENT AWAY. BUT JUST BEFORE THE CAR WENT
        DOWN DID ( BY THE SOUNDS OF IT )THE SAME THING YOURS
        DID KINDA SPUTERED A FEW TIMES AND WENT DEAD.
        ELECTRICAL IS A BITCH DUDE. IF YOU CAN CHECK
        UNDERNEATH THE FUSE BOX ( A COUPLE SCREWS ON THE FACE
        OF THE FUSE BOX AND LOOSENEING UP THE MAIN LINES YOU
        CAN SEE IF THERE IS ANY CORROSION ECT.

        GOOD LUCK

        Bill Ripley

        bilripley@...