Re: [bmw e28] unable to keep headlights on low beam 528e

  • Alan Myler - at home
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2006
      Haven't had that problem with my e28 but my 1989 Toyota Corolla had
      the same problem a couple of years ago. Fixed it by replacing the lever.
      Don't know if that helps you much!!

      skyfly44kk wrote:

      > Anyone in this group have experience with this problem?
      > 1988 bmw 528e i have to hold the hi/low beam lever to maintain low beam
      > if driving at night. If i release holding the lever, the lights go and
      > stay at high beam.Ocasionally,it with function normal for a short time.
      > I changed out a relay in the light circuit, but to no avail.Not sure
      > the lever in steering column is the culprit.Turn signals work correct.
      > Thanks to anyone with assistance with this ppproblem.

      > Service <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html> .

    • Agent Midnight
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 4, 2006
        Yes! (GRIN, like its a good thing)
        I had that problem a couple of years ago and it happen for a long time
        before that on my 1986 528e but I kept puting off fixing it and I forced teh
        direction switch one way or the other to make it work. Over time that
        caused it to snap off all together and I just had to replace the
        lever/switch.

        Its most likly just the "turn signal" switch that controls the high beam.
        Over many years it gets warn from doing the same thing over and over.
        Replace it with a *good* used one. A good one will be a bit stiff and make
        a nice clicking sound when worked. That means the parts are working
        properly. The new ones are much more costly and do the same thing as a good
        used one. check out " http://www.theeurodepot.com ". Since the item is
        small it will fit in a small box for less pricy shiping.

        The installation is simple. One part you do need is a new locking nut for
        the steering wheel that has to be taken off to install the lever
        properly.( The bolt may take a LOT of controled force to remove with the
        proper sockets).

        Good luck,
        -Dana

        P.s. I was geting afraid when I had the problem that the car would start
        "high-beaming" a police officer on the expressway. " I swear officer it was
        the car, not me..."(GRIN).