Door lock broken '88 528e

  • mort_batchelder
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
      Unlocked my door last night and as I turned the key to unlock all
      doors the mechanism make a snap sound and turned way too far and the
      doors did not unlock. The key now goes front to back making a
      clicking sound and does not lock/unlock doors anymore. The central
      locking 'system' still funcitons from the trunk or pass door.

      Any one else experience this? Anyone know what am I dealing with here
      in terms of repair?

      Mort
    • Matt R
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2006
        I too have the same issue w/ my 87 535i. What I've
        been told is that you can order a complete lock
        assembly (only from the dealer). You'll need you
        original key, VIN number and they should be able to
        set you up w/ a new lock assembly. I've yet to do it
        mainly because the trunk & pass. door still work fine.
        You'll be looking at a few hundred bucks though.
        Good luck

        Matt

        --- mort_batchelder <mort_batchelder@...> wrote:

        > Unlocked my door last night and as I turned the key
        > to unlock all
        > doors the mechanism make a snap sound and turned way
        > too far and the
        > doors did not unlock. The key now goes front to
        > back making a
        > clicking sound and does not lock/unlock doors
        > anymore. The central
        > locking 'system' still funcitons from the trunk or
        > pass door.
        >
        > Any one else experience this? Anyone know what am I
        > dealing with here
        > in terms of repair?
        >
        > Mort

      • calmloki
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2006
          Larry is right on the money with how to fix this. If you don't want
          to buy his lock the dealer sells a repair kit that you swap your
          keying wafers into. Back when I did mine a few years ago the cost was
          about $50 I think.
          Tom