M30 tuning advice

  • Gunnar Reynisson
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2006
      I have a early M30B35 and a late M30B35 engines

      I know a 2.8 has a 272deg cam, so I guess thats cheap and good, but
      does it work on both engines?

      I have piggybacks with wideband for fuel and ignition tuning so thats
      covered, I´m looking for a easy way to make more power by better cyl
      filling,

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks
      Gunni.
    • Arny K.
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
        Gunnar Reynisson wrote:

        > I have a early M30B35 and a late M30B35 engines
        >
        > I know a 2.8 has a 272deg cam, so I guess thats cheap and good, but
        > does it work on both engines?

        If you mean the M30B28 engine for camshaft, I don't think it's possible.
        Since 3.5 (late at least) was always Motronic and 2.8 was always
        L(E)-Jetronic, their camshafts cannot be interchanged beacuse of
        different styles of distributors. However, if you mean the M20B27 2.7
        engine (but that's M20 engine, eh...), or your early 3.5 by some chance
        uses L-Jetronic (can't remember if 3.5 ever used L-Jet), then it could
        be possible.

        Hope this helps,
        Arny
      • Gunnar Reynisson
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
          --- In bmwe28@..., "Arny K." <arny@p...> wrote:

          > Gunnar Reynisson wrote:
          >
          > > I have a early M30B35 and a late M30B35 engines
          > >
          > > I know a 2.8 has a 272deg cam, so I guess thats cheap and good, but
          > > does it work on both engines?
          >
          > If you mean the M30B28 engine for camshaft, I don't think it's possible.
          > Since 3.5 (late at least) was always Motronic and 2.8 was always
          > L(E)-Jetronic, their camshafts cannot be interchanged beacuse of
          > different styles of distributors. However, if you mean the M20B27 2.7
          > engine (but that's M20 engine, eh...), or your early 3.5 by some chance
          > uses L-Jetronic (can't remember if 3.5 ever used L-Jet), then it could
          > be possible.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          > Arny

          I was under the impression that 2.8´s had Motronic 1.0 like the
          earlier (e23 and E24) M30´s,

          But I don´t care, I need a Motronic 1.3 harness and some parts to
          convert the engine to M1.3 and run a M10 trans,
          stronger clutch and pressure plate is needed.

          This is destined into my E30.

          Thanks.
        • Guy DiCesare
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006
            Hi everyone. I'd like to run a scenario by you and get
            your input as to the probable cause. I had a bad
            thrust arm bushing (really loose). I was told by a
            mechanic that I could drive with it until he could fix
            it in a few weeks. Several days later(at very low
            speed) There was a TREMENDOUS front end noise. Upon
            inspecting the car, I noticed that I could SINK the
            drivers side bumper (could actually HEAR the shock
            deflate) while pushing down. I did this 3 times (I
            pulled it back up, pushed back down) and after 3
            tries, I got the feeling of the spring seating itself
            again (I.E it felt normal when pushing on the bumper.
            The mechanic would not tell me what happened. He
            replaced the thrust arm on BOTH sides and put in new
            Bilsteins because (and I quote) "when you remove the
            factory installed struts you have to destroy them to
            get them off". I smell a rat, but I'd like to know
            what your thoughts are. I think that the thrust arm
            snapped and knocked the spring off. I also think it's
            possible to remove factory installed struts without
            destroying them. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
            Thanks. Guy
            --- Gunnar Reynisson <gunnar@...> wrote:

            > --- In bmwe28@..., "Arny K."
            > <arny@p...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Gunnar Reynisson wrote:
            > >
            > > > I have a early M30B35 and a late M30B35 engines
            > > >
            > > > I know a 2.8 has a 272deg cam, so I guess thats
            > cheap and good, but
            > > > does it work on both engines?
            > >
            > > If you mean the M30B28 engine for camshaft, I
            > don't think it's possible.
            > > Since 3.5 (late at least) was always Motronic and
            > 2.8 was always
            > > L(E)-Jetronic, their camshafts cannot be
            > interchanged beacuse of
            > > different styles of distributors. However, if you
            > mean the M20B27 2.7
            > > engine (but that's M20 engine, eh...), or your
            > early 3.5 by some chance
            > > uses L-Jetronic (can't remember if 3.5 ever used
            > L-Jet), then it could
            > > be possible.
            > >
            > > Hope this helps,
            > > Arny
            > >

            > I was under the impression that 2.8�s had Motronic
            > 1.0 like the
            > earlier (e23 and E24) M30�s,
            >
            > But I don�t care, I need a Motronic 1.3 harness
            and
            > some parts to
            > convert the engine to M1.3 and run a M10 trans,
            > stronger clutch and pressure plate is needed.
            >
            > This is destined into my E30.
            >
            > Thanks.

          • Ron Kall
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 9, 2006
              I could see where new struts would be in order.
              It's a shame to go through all that pain and
              put the old ones back. The labor to do it is a
              real pain, plus if they are old, then the tops
              get rusted to the place they sit. I replaced the
              springs and struts on the front in my 86 528 e
              about 3 years ago, mileage at 240k. Well worth it,
              I thought at the time. Ride improved big time.

              Ron Kall
              Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730

              1986 528e
              1985 535i

            • doug dykaar
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 10, 2006
                Guy,

                I replaced a seized, 10-year old Bilstein sport strut. The strut was
                replaced free, under warranty. The retaining ring rusted in place and I tore
                off the top of the strut tube getting it out. I replaced the strut tube with
                a used unit.

                Get ALL the replaced parts back and inspect them. It does sound like the
                spring failed, but I'd want to see the bits myself.

                Regards,

                doug
              • jose salas
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 11, 2006
                  Hi :
                  I think that your mechanic must started checking uppper and lower control arms.
                  to change only the arm bushing damaged.

                  Regards
                  Jose

                • carlosmciver
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 9, 2006
                    --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi everyone. I'd like to run a scenario by you and get
                    > your input as to the probable cause. I had a bad
                    > thrust arm bushing (really loose). I was told by a
                    > mechanic that I could drive with it until he could fix
                    > it in a few weeks. Several days later(at very low
                    > speed) There was a TREMENDOUS front end noise. Upon
                    > inspecting the car, I noticed that I could SINK the
                    > drivers side bumper (could actually HEAR the shock
                    > deflate) while pushing down. I did this 3 times (I
                    > pulled it back up, pushed back down) and after 3
                    > tries, I got the feeling of the spring seating itself
                    > again (I.E it felt normal when pushing on the bumper.
                    > The mechanic would not tell me what happened. He
                    > replaced the thrust arm on BOTH sides and put in new
                    > Bilsteins because (and I quote) "when you remove the
                    > factory installed struts you have to destroy them to
                    > get them off". I smell a rat, but I'd like to know
                    > what your thoughts are. I think that the thrust arm
                    > snapped and knocked the spring off. I also think it's
                    > possible to remove factory installed struts without
                    > destroying them. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
                    > Thanks. Guy
                    > --- Gunnar Reynisson <gunnar@g...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > --- In bmwe28@..., "Arny K."
                    > > <arny@p...> wrote:

                    > > cheap and good, but
                    > > >
                    > > > If you mean the M30B28 engine for camshaft, I
                    > > don't think it's possible.
                    > > > Since 3.5 (late at least) was always Motronic and
                    > > 2.8 was always
                    > > > L(E)-Jetronic, their camshafts cannot be
                    > > interchanged beacuse of
                    > > > different styles of distributors. However, if you
                    > > mean the M20B27 2.7
                    > > > engine (but that's M20 engine, eh...), or your
                    > > early 3.5 by some chance
                    > > > uses L-Jetronic (can't remember if 3.5 ever used
                    > > L-Jet), then it could
                    > > > be possible.
                    > > >
                    > > > Hope this helps,
                    > > > Arny
                    > > >

                    > > I was under the impression that 2.8�s had Motronic
                    > > 1.0 like the
                    > > earlier (e23 and E24) M30�s,
                    > >
                    > > But I don�t care, I need a Motronic 1.3 harness
                    > and
                    > > some parts to
                    > > convert the engine to M1.3 and run a M10 trans,
                    > > stronger clutch and pressure plate is needed.
                    > >
                    > > This is destined into my E30.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    > >
                    > > Guy i am a mechanic and i admit that every job is a learning
                    experience. so at times before i destroy something on my personal
                    auto, i would take a trip to a local salvage yard and practice on a
                    similar car and part. i have removed the struts with minimal damage
                    to the practice auto and only because i did not have the correct
                    tools with me. i have even removed and replaced my own with no
                    problem, so it is possible to removed without destroying.

                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • carlosmciver
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 9, 2006