Door lock issue - and repair

  • Larry R.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2006
      Due to having to work on MANY doors in my time, the
      issue is quite simple to diagnose and repair.

      What happened is that the "arm" that hits the central
      locking system micro switch broke off. It is a very
      cheap "pot" metal casting and does have a tendency to
      break.

      The fix is not too difficult however. just a pain to
      complete.

      1. Begin by locating a replacement driver's side door
      lock. Insure it is whole with no cracks.

      2. Remove the driver side door panel. Hopefully you
      know this process, it is not too difficult but the
      trim edge by the window can easily break when trying
      to remove it so use caution. Bentley manuals show
      this process.

      3. Remove the clip using a large flat blade
      screwdriver. slide the lock set out of the door.

      4. You will need to find a link that shows how to
      re-key a door lock and follow that. Basically you
      will remove all the wafers and springs from the
      replacement lock and clean it up. then remove the
      wafers and springs one at a time and clean and insert
      into the replacement lockset.

      5. Replace the lockset, replace the clip and put the
      door back together. (I'd test the lock function
      before putting the panel on the door).

      Good luck.

      BTW, let me know if you are in the US or canada. I
      have numerous driver's side door locks laying around
      and I can send one for a small price. Say 20 bucks
      plus shipping.

    • mort_batchelder
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2006
        Great, I may take you up on that if that is what has happened. I will
        get a chance to look at the issue over the next day or two.
        Mort

        --- In bmwe28@..., "Larry R." <dallas_larry@y...> wrote:

        > Due to having to work on MANY doors in my time, the
        > issue is quite simple to diagnose and repair.
        >
        > What happened is that the "arm" that hits the central
        > locking system micro switch broke off. It is a very
        > cheap "pot" metal casting and does have a tendency to
        > break.
        >
        > The fix is not too difficult however. just a pain to
        > complete.
        >
        > 1. Begin by locating a replacement driver's side door
        > lock. Insure it is whole with no cracks.
        >
        > 2. Remove the driver side door panel. Hopefully you
        > know this process, it is not too difficult but the
        > trim edge by the window can easily break when trying
        > to remove it so use caution. Bentley manuals show
        > this process.
        >
        > 3. Remove the clip using a large flat blade
        > screwdriver. slide the lock set out of the door.
        >
        > 4. You will need to find a link that shows how to
        > re-key a door lock and follow that. Basically you
        > will remove all the wafers and springs from the
        > replacement lock and clean it up. then remove the
        > wafers and springs one at a time and clean and insert
        > into the replacement lockset.
        >
        > 5. Replace the lockset, replace the clip and put the
        > door back together. (I'd test the lock function
        > before putting the panel on the door).
        >
        > Good luck.
        >
        > BTW, let me know if you are in the US or canada. I
        > have numerous driver's side door locks laying around
        > and I can send one for a small price. Say 20 bucks
        > plus shipping.
        >

        > --- bmwe28@... wrote:
        >
        > > There are 3 messages in this issue.
        > >
        > > Topics in this digest:
        > >
        > > 1. Re: Door lock broken '88 528e
        > > From: "Agent Midnight"
        > > <agentmidnight@v...>
        > > 2. Re: unable to keep headlights on low beam
        > > 528e
        > > From: "Agent Midnight"
        > > <agentmidnight@v...>
        > > 3. M30 tuning advice