HORRIBLE SHAKING WHEN BRAKING OVER 40 MPH'S/SERIOUS SHAKING OVER 50 MPH'S

  • carlosmciver
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
      HI GUYS, I HAVE TWO PROBLEMS: FIRST, WHEN APPLYING THE BRAKES AT
      SPEEDS OVER 40, IT FEELS LIKE MY FRONT WHEELS ARE GOING TO BREAK OFF,
      IT HAS A SEVERE SIDE TO SIDE SHAKING SO I HAVE TO LET UP AND RE-APPLY
      THE BRAKES. SECOND, WHEN REACHING SPEEDS OVER 55, I GET ALOT OF
      VIBRATION THROUGH THE ENTIRE CAR, ESPECIALLY IN THE STEERING WHEEL.
      IT SEEMS I HAVE TO SPEED UP TO SMOOTH IT OUT. OH I HAVE A 1984 533I
    • Steve Haygood
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
        Upper control arms with some quality bushings. Also check all ball joints
        Steve

        Steve Haygood
        BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
        03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
        03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
          --- In bmwe28@..., "Steve Haygood" <sfhaygood@a...>
          wrote:

          > Upper control arms with some quality bushings. Also check all ball
          joints
          > Steve
          >

          > Steve Haygood
          > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
          > 03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
          > 03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

          On Behalf
          > Of carlosmciver
          > Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:34 PM
          > To: bmwe28@...
          > Subject: [bmw e28] HORRIBLE SHAKING WHEN BRAKING OVER 40
          MPH'S/SERIOUS
          > SHAKING OVER 50 MPH'S
          >
          > HI GUYS, I HAVE TWO PROBLEMS: FIRST, WHEN APPLYING THE BRAKES AT
          SPEEDS
          > OVER 40, IT FEELS LIKE MY FRONT WHEELS ARE GOING TO BREAK OFF, IT
          HAS A
          > SEVERE SIDE TO SIDE SHAKING SO I HAVE TO LET UP AND RE-APPLY THE
          BRAKES.
          > SECOND, WHEN REACHING SPEEDS OVER 55, I GET ALOT OF VIBRATION
          THROUGH THE
          > ENTIRE CAR, ESPECIALLY IN THE STEERING WHEEL.
          > IT SEEMS I HAVE TO SPEED UP TO SMOOTH IT OUT. OH I HAVE A 1984
          533I

          thank you for the advice, i will tyr this, i've tried everything
          else, thanks again
        • Guy DiCesare
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
            Hi Carlos. I had the same thing and it was the
            thrust arm bushings. It was NOT warped rotors. Once I
            replaced the bushings with UPGRADE POLY bushings (not
            OE type) the problem resolved. I had a mechanic tell
            me I needed tie rod ends, new center link and rotors.
            All I replaced was the bushings and the problem
            stoppped.. Good place to start. Good luck, Guy
            Hey Carlos. I had the same thing

            --- carlosmciver <carlosmciver@...> wrote:

            > HI GUYS, I HAVE TWO PROBLEMS: FIRST, WHEN APPLYING
            > THE BRAKES AT
            > SPEEDS OVER 40, IT FEELS LIKE MY FRONT WHEELS ARE
            > GOING TO BREAK OFF,
            > IT HAS A SEVERE SIDE TO SIDE SHAKING SO I HAVE TO
            > LET UP AND RE-APPLY
            > THE BRAKES. SECOND, WHEN REACHING SPEEDS OVER 55, I
            > GET ALOT OF
            > VIBRATION THROUGH THE ENTIRE CAR, ESPECIALLY IN THE
            > STEERING WHEEL.
            > IT SEEMS I HAVE TO SPEED UP TO SMOOTH IT OUT. OH I
            > HAVE A 1984 533I

          • carlosmciver
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
              --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@y...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Carlos. I had the same thing and it was the
              > thrust arm bushings. It was NOT warped rotors. Once I
              > replaced the bushings with UPGRADE POLY bushings (not
              > OE type) the problem resolved. I had a mechanic tell
              > me I needed tie rod ends, new center link and rotors.
              > All I replaced was the bushings and the problem
              > stoppped.. Good place to start. Good luck, Guy
              > Hey Carlos. I had the same thing
              >
              > --- carlosmciver <carlosmciver@y...> wrote:
              >
              > > HI GUYS, I HAVE TWO PROBLEMS: FIRST, WHEN APPLYING
              > > THE BRAKES AT
              > > SPEEDS OVER 40, IT FEELS LIKE MY FRONT WHEELS ARE
              > > GOING TO BREAK OFF,
              > > IT HAS A SEVERE SIDE TO SIDE SHAKING SO I HAVE TO
              > > LET UP AND RE-APPLY
              > > THE BRAKES. SECOND, WHEN REACHING SPEEDS OVER 55, I
              > > GET ALOT OF
              > > VIBRATION THROUGH THE ENTIRE CAR, ESPECIALLY IN THE
              > > STEERING WHEEL.
              > > IT SEEMS I HAVE TO SPEED UP TO SMOOTH IT OUT. OH I
              > > HAVE A 1984 533I
              > >
              > > thanks Guy, that makes alot of since considering when and how it
              occurs. i will try this and i hope that is it, it can feel really
              scary when i have to stop and i feel like i am on a vibrating chair
              at high speeds. thanks again, hope you are right

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Steve Haygood
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 9, 2006
                Send mean email with your number and I'll help out via phone if you like( if
                you are in the US anyway ;-)
                Steve

                sfhaygood@...

                Steve Haygood
                BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
                03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
                03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

                > Upper control arms with some quality bushings. Also check all ball
                joints
                > Steve
                >

                > Steve Haygood
                > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
                > 03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
                > 03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

                On Behalf
                > Of carlosmciver
                > Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 7:34 PM
                > To: bmwe28@...
                > Subject: [bmw e28] HORRIBLE SHAKING WHEN BRAKING OVER 40
                MPH'S/SERIOUS
                > SHAKING OVER 50 MPH'S
                >
                > HI GUYS, I HAVE TWO PROBLEMS: FIRST, WHEN APPLYING THE BRAKES AT
                SPEEDS
                > OVER 40, IT FEELS LIKE MY FRONT WHEELS ARE GOING TO BREAK OFF, IT
                HAS A
                > SEVERE SIDE TO SIDE SHAKING SO I HAVE TO LET UP AND RE-APPLY THE
                BRAKES.
                > SECOND, WHEN REACHING SPEEDS OVER 55, I GET ALOT OF VIBRATION
                THROUGH THE
                > ENTIRE CAR, ESPECIALLY IN THE STEERING WHEEL.
                > IT SEEMS I HAVE TO SPEED UP TO SMOOTH IT OUT. OH I HAVE A 1984
                533I

                thank you for the advice, i will tyr this, i've tried everything else,
                thanks again

              • Frances Camara