What are we driving ?

  • john holst
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 12, 2006
      Hi People, I've been with this group a about week and would it be interesting that members tell us about what they drive ,how long you have had the car etc. etc. what ever you would like to mention. I'll get the ball rolling my beemer
      is a 1982 528i 5 speed manual I bought in 1997 for $4900 australian, it was
      white then. Since then, it has been repainted a metalic dark green and the engine has been over hauled and with the new set of alloy 16" rims and tyres
      it has come a long way and a joy to drive. regards from JOHN

    • Guy DiCesare
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 12, 2006
        Hi evryone. My car is an '88 535is. It has 210K on it
        and has had a ridiculous amount of work done on it. I
        travel for a living and thus carry no tools. Thus, I
        have mechanics work on this daily driver, which gets
        VERY expensive. Car has new LS differential and mount,
        driveshaft, clutch, starter, cat-back exhaust, ICV,
        radiator, H2O pump, fuel transfer pump, instrument
        cluster (used), Bilsteins all the way around, control
        arms, center link, tie rod ends, heater control valve,
        stereo/CD, antenna, shock mounts, A/C charge, subframe
        mounts, 16" BBS rims, yokohama tires, brake "bomb',
        rotors and pads, some fuel lines, plugs, rptor, cap
        and wires, valve adjust+gasket, engine mount, LF wheel
        bearing, all hoses and belts, E-brake shoes,
        thermostat, temp sender, and 2 dozen other things I
        can't recall at the moment. It's never failed me, but
        it's made me very, very poor. Now it needs paint
        (another 6K according to the body shops I've talked
        to.
        Your comments and emotional support are welcome:)-I
        pretty much live to feed this car. Cheers. Guy D
        (South Lake tahoe, CA USA)

        --- john holst <grafton_56@...> wrote:

        > Hi People, I've been with this group a about week
        > and would it be interesting that members tell us
        > about what they drive ,how long you have had the car
        > etc. etc. what ever you would like to mention. I'll
        > get the ball rolling my beemer
        > is a 1982 528i 5 speed manual I bought in 1997
        > for $4900 australian, it was
        > white then. Since then, it has been repainted a
        > metalic dark green and the engine has been over
        > hauled and with the new set of alloy 16" rims and
        > tyres
        > it has come a long way and a joy to drive.
        > regards from JOHN

        > removed]

      • william ripley
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 13, 2006
          hey there guy's

          i have some electrical ghosts. had a problem with the
          electrical system where there seemed to be a short.
          all kinds of weirrd things. replaced the fuses box and
          it went away for about a month. it's back.

          here are the symptoms. starts when i out the brake on.
          the radio cuts out for a second and then comes back
          on.this soemtimes doesnt happen when i first start the
          car. but will happen after it has warmed up a bit (
          took longer in the winter ) . on the whole the whole
          wipers seem slower, the cutting out of the radio and
          whole thing gets worse with added stress like the
          cruise controll on. also seems worse in the wet
          weather. after a while the radio will cut out when i
          hit a bupm or serries of them ansd if it cuts out
          entirely this is when i know that the batteryi s not
          charging and the system is running stricctly off the
          battery for as long as it can. if i let the car sit
          for a while the system seems to get back up and
          running , but for jow long i can't predict.

          again
          1. radio cuts out for a second when i hit the brake
          2. after this, less juice going to wipers ect
          3. happens after the car has warmed up
          4. when radio cuts out completely the battery is not
          getting charged.
          5. just looking the aletrnator is fairly new and
          wiring looks ok ( no major cracks or worn )

          any info on what to check wouldd be a great help as i
          hate the lets justn start replacing stuff and see what
          works.

          my only thought was relay's in the fuse box. the other
          ( that i don't know ) is if there is a current
          regulator or something. mn have some head fot this
          stuff but still am a bit green

          thanks for any help you can give me

          bill

          Bill Ripley

          bilripley@...

        • gary edmonds
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 13, 2006
            Hi John,
            Great idea to find out about each others beemers.
            Mine is an '84 528i Auto alpine white. She has been
            with me for two years. In that time I've had a new
            complete cylinder head/camshaft fitted, 16 inch
            multiblade alloys with Avon ZZR tyres and a retrim in
            pacific blue leather. She is my only car and I
            average 5,000 miles a year, her total mileage is now
            122,000 miles.
            The car cost me 700 pounds sterling, about $1000 US.
            Spent a little bit more than that since!
            Regards,
            Gary Edmonds.

            --- john holst <grafton_56@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            Hi People, I've been with this group a about week and
            would it be interesting that members tell us about
            what they drive ,how long you have had the car etc.
            etc. what ever you would like to mention. I'll get the
            ball rolling my beemer
            is a 1982 528i 5 speed manual I bought in 1997 for
            $4900 australian, it was
            white then. Since then, it has been repainted a
            metalic dark green and the engine has been over hauled
            and with the new set of alloy 16" rims and tyres
            it has come a long way and a joy to drive. regards
            from JOHN

            Terms of Service.

          • william ripley
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 13, 2006
              HEY THERE GUY'S

              I JUST BOUGHT 1987 535 I BRONZE WITH THE BROWN
              INTERIOR. I HAVE AN 88 EXACT SAME ( EXCEPT THE 88 HAD
              POWER SEATS ) THAT KAKED ON ME THAAT I USE FOR SPARE
              PARTS AND REFERENCE. THE NEW ONE HAS ELECTRICAQL
              ISSUSES , BUT I GOT IT FROM ONE OF MY MECHANICS FOR
              500 AND HAVE HAD TO PUT 1000 OR SO IN IT OVER THE LAST
              YEAR. THE CLUTCH PISTON WENT ( ALSO ON THE OLD ONE )
              AND HAVE HAD TO PUT NEW CALIPER AND PADS ( DID MYSELF
              ) ON THE FRONT. GREAT CAR EXCEPT FOR THE GHOSTS IN THE
              ELECTRICAL.
              I WILL TRY TO DO SOME BODY STUFF THIS SUMMER. IRT
              HAS ABOUT 300,000 ON IT , BUT IAM STILL GETTTING ABOUT
              550 KM'S PER TANK, AND STILL HAS GOOD PU FOR A CAR
              THIS AGE. IT ACTUALLY RUNS BETTER THAN THE 88 I HAD
              WHEN IT WAS IN PPEAK SHAPE.

              BILL

              Bill Ripley

              bilripley@...

            • cnhallblade
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 21, 2006
                Hey All,

                I'm new to this forum and new to BMW's in general. I just bought an '88 535is a week ago.
                I love this car! It is a red 5 speed with 163,000 miles on it and is pretty much all stock
                with the exception of an Alpine cd player. I am expecting a new exhaust system to arrive
                in the mail any day now. I paid $2400 for the car and am spending about $1000 on the
                exhaust.

                Getting this car has gottin' me to thinking about how I can make more money to feed into
                the car. It is already a great deal of fun to drive and I can only imagine how replacing
                some parts will add to my enjoyment.

                --- In bmwe28@..., john holst <grafton_56@y...> wrote:

                > Hi People, I've been with this group a about week and would it be interesting that
                members tell us about what they drive ,how long you have had the car etc. etc. what ever
                you would like to mention. I'll get the ball rolling my beemer
                > is a 1982 528i 5 speed manual I bought in 1997 for $4900 australian, it was
                > white then. Since then, it has been repainted a metalic dark green and the engine has
                been over hauled and with the new set of alloy 16" rims and tyres
                > it has come a long way and a joy to drive. regards from JOHN

              • Brett Peavey
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 22, 2006
                  Hello all, I got an 88 535i and an 87 535is. i am
                  using the 'is as a parts car. i get more looks and
                  compliments in my old bmw than i ever did in my 1969
                  mustang. I just put on a set of rims and tires, and
                  one rim cost me more than i paid for the car. I paid
                  $100.00 dollars for the car i kinda feel bad now
                  because all i did was chage the fuses and put in a new
                  battery and she runs better than any other car i have
                  ever had.
                  Has anyone ever attepted to make a 535i into a two
                  door? i would like to give it a try. Photoshop
                  allowed me to do these attached files. Take a look
                  maybe you will get some inspiration
                  --- cnhallblade <cnhallblade@...> wrote:

                  > Hey All,
                  >
                  > I'm new to this forum and new to BMW's in general.
                  > I just bought an '88 535is a week ago.
                  > I love this car! It is a red 5 speed with 163,000
                  > miles on it and is pretty much all stock
                  > with the exception of an Alpine cd player. I am
                  > expecting a new exhaust system to arrive
                  > in the mail any day now. I paid $2400 for the car
                  > and am spending about $1000 on the
                  > exhaust.
                  >
                  > Getting this car has gottin' me to thinking about
                  > how I can make more money to feed into
                  > the car. It is already a great deal of fun to drive
                  > and I can only imagine how replacing
                  > some parts will add to my enjoyment.
                  >
                  > --- In bmwe28@..., john holst
                  > <grafton_56@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi People, I've been with this group a about week
                  > and would it be interesting that
                  > members tell us about what they drive ,how long you
                  > have had the car etc. etc. what ever
                  > you would like to mention. I'll get the ball rolling
                  > my beemer
                  > > is a 1982 528i 5 speed manual I bought in 1997
                  > for $4900 australian, it was
                  > > white then. Since then, it has been repainted a
                  > metalic dark green and the engine has
                  > been over hauled and with the new set of alloy 16"
                  > rims and tyres
                  > > it has come a long way and a joy to drive.
                  > regards from JOHN

                  > removed]

                  Brett Peavey
                  Microwave Component Sources