Throttle position switch input voltage...

  • purplehead2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2006
      Dear group members,

      On my 1983 528e I am getting 6 volts from the 3 wired harness
      leading up to the throttle position switch. 6 volts from the middle
      wire out to either of the two wires next to it. I am under the
      impression that the input voltage should be 12 volts.
      Can anyone help me out on this subject? And yes, I have been
      having drivability problems with this car as I do not have a nice
      steady idle.
      The throttle position switch was changed out a couple of months
      ago.

      Sincerely,

      Joel T. Gonzalez
      San Antonio, TX.
      1983 528e
    • john holst
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 19, 2006
        purplehead2002 <purplehead2002@...> wrote: Dear group members,

        On my 1983 528e I am getting 6 volts from the 3 wired harness.........

        Well, the electrics are a challenge.In my bentley book it says "before testing the throttle switch or idle position switch check that there it is receiving voltage, disconnect the harness connector. with ignitioin on, there should be 5 volts. Continuity (ohms)test can be done on the switch as well. I can tell you the procedure if you require it. John.

      • Joel T. Gonzalez
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2006
          Hi John,

          I am going crazy with this vehicle as I have tested practically everything. The reason being that I thought that maybe 12 volts from each of the 2 wires was possible is that I had come across some information on the net.
          The continuity and resistance too on the throttle position sensor is there as I had replaced that a couple of months ago, however, is there a specific procedure according to the manual in testing out the brain of this car with a simple voltage, continuity, and or resistance tests?
          Any help would come in handy.

          Sincerely,

          Joel T. Gonzalez
          San Antonio, TX.