Re: [bmw e28] Fuel preasure regulator

  • Agent Midnight
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 14, 2006
      Hello all,
      I know this is a bit off topic of any thing that
      is being talked about right now but I am a but excited ;-).
      For the longest time I have been having idle problem to one degree or
      another and a big problem of loosing fuel preasure over night and the car
      having to build up preasure in the morning.
      Well I wasted a lot of time and money of cold start valves, idle controls
      Etc. and even a new fuel pump. Well...the problem seamed to be the fuel
      preasure regulaor valve.
      I hope to save others the time I lost :-).
      If you have any of the problems I did and you have an ORIGINAL fuel
      regulator (you can tell because 1.) its not painted shiny black and 2.) the
      end of the part number is lower then the new ones) REPLACE it they are
      fairly cheap for a brand new one and 8 year old kid could install it them
      selfs. If works with springs and a other parts that can fail ove the years
      so if its original what mess with keepings it. Heck the new ones look a lot
      nicer if you keep your engine really clean.
      If you install one I have a few hints 1.) when removing make sure you have
      all the hoses from it removed 2.) when unbolted ;-) move it side to side
      while pulling up HARD 2.) when reinstalling use a good amount of fuel all
      over the O-ring to lubricate it or you will be there all night trying to get
      it on the fuel rail(GRIN).
      Best of luck,
      -Dana Sion
    • greg_collen
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 14, 2006
        I replace mine because of irregular idle. Frankly, I was guessing and
        the part was fairly cheap. It solved the problem right away. I was
        amazed.

        --- In bmwe28@..., "Agent Midnight"
        <agentmidnight@v...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I know this is a bit off topic of any thing that
        > is being talked about right now but I am a but excited ;-).
        > For the longest time I have been having idle problem to one degree
        or
        > another and a big problem of loosing fuel preasure over night and
        the car
        > having to build up preasure in the morning.
        > Well I wasted a lot of time and money of cold start valves, idle
        controls
        > Etc. and even a new fuel pump. Well...the problem seamed to be the
        fuel
        > preasure regulaor valve.
        > I hope to save others the time I lost :-).
        > If you have any of the problems I did and you have an ORIGINAL fuel
        > regulator (you can tell because 1.) its not painted shiny black and
        2.) the
        > end of the part number is lower then the new ones) REPLACE it they
        are
        > fairly cheap for a brand new one and 8 year old kid could install
        it them
        > selfs. If works with springs and a other parts that can fail ove
        the years
        > so if its original what mess with keepings it. Heck the new ones
        look a lot
        > nicer if you keep your engine really clean.
        > If you install one I have a few hints 1.) when removing make sure
        you have
        > all the hoses from it removed 2.) when unbolted ;-) move it side to
        side
        > while pulling up HARD 2.) when reinstalling use a good amount of
        fuel all
        > over the O-ring to lubricate it or you will be there all night
        trying to get
        > it on the fuel rail(GRIN).
        > Best of luck,
        > -Dana Sion

      • Agent Midnight
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 15, 2006
          I know what you mean and I read that a faulty one can cause that problem and
          several others so like you said I rather replace a part that does not cost
          that much and is very easy to replace then deal with other things like
          removing all the hoses Etc.
          -Dana

          >I replace mine because of irregular idle. Frankly, I was guessing and
          > the part was fairly cheap. It solved the problem right away. I was
          > amazed.
          >
          > --- In bmwe28@..., "Agent Midnight"
          > <agentmidnight@v...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hello all,
          >> I know this is a bit off topic of any thing that
          >> is being talked about right now but I am a but excited ;-).
          >> For the longest time I have been having idle problem to one degree
          > or
          >> another and a big problem of loosing fuel preasure over night and
          > the car
          >> having to build up preasure in the morning.
          >> Well I wasted a lot of time and money of cold start valves, idle
          > controls
          >> Etc. and even a new fuel pump. Well...the problem seamed to be the
          > fuel
          >> preasure regulaor valve.
          >> I hope to save others the time I lost :-).
          >> If you have any of the problems I did and you have an ORIGINAL fuel
          >> regulator (you can tell because 1.) its not painted shiny black and
          > 2.) the
          >> end of the part number is lower then the new ones) REPLACE it they
          > are
          >> fairly cheap for a brand new one and 8 year old kid could install
          > it them
          >> selfs. If works with springs and a other parts that can fail ove
          > the years
          >> so if its original what mess with keepings it. Heck the new ones
          > look a lot
          >> nicer if you keep your engine really clean.
          >> If you install one I have a few hints 1.) when removing make sure
          > you have
          >> all the hoses from it removed 2.) when unbolted ;-) move it side to
          > side
          >> while pulling up HARD 2.) when reinstalling use a good amount of
          > fuel all
          >> over the O-ring to lubricate it or you will be there all night
          > trying to get
          >> it on the fuel rail(GRIN).
          >> Best of luck,
          >> -Dana Sion

          > ---
          > Virus Database (VPS): 0615-3, 04/14/2006
          > Tested on: 4/15/2006 09:30:51

        • Uriel Francisco M Protomartir
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 23, 2006
            I beleive I am experiencing the same problem with my idling. Can
            you help me by sending more infos like prices, pictures, etc..

            I would really appreciate it.

            Thank you so much,

            Uriel
            E28 520i 87 Model
            --- In bmwe28@..., "greg_collen" <greg_collen@y...>
            wrote:

            > I replace mine because of irregular idle. Frankly, I was guessing
            and
            > the part was fairly cheap. It solved the problem right away. I was
            > amazed.
            >
            > --- In bmwe28@..., "Agent Midnight"
            > <agentmidnight@v...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello all,
            > > I know this is a bit off topic of any thing that
            > > is being talked about right now but I am a but excited ;-).
            > > For the longest time I have been having idle problem to one
            degree
            > or
            > > another and a big problem of loosing fuel preasure over night
            and
            > the car
            > > having to build up preasure in the morning.
            > > Well I wasted a lot of time and money of cold start valves, idle
            > controls
            > > Etc. and even a new fuel pump. Well...the problem seamed to be
            the
            > fuel
            > > preasure regulaor valve.
            > > I hope to save others the time I lost :-).
            > > If you have any of the problems I did and you have an ORIGINAL
            fuel
            > > regulator (you can tell because 1.) its not painted shiny black
            and
            > 2.) the
            > > end of the part number is lower then the new ones) REPLACE it
            they
            > are
            > > fairly cheap for a brand new one and 8 year old kid could
            install
            > it them
            > > selfs. If works with springs and a other parts that can fail ove
            > the years
            > > so if its original what mess with keepings it. Heck the new ones
            > look a lot
            > > nicer if you keep your engine really clean.
            > > If you install one I have a few hints 1.) when removing make
            sure
            > you have
            > > all the hoses from it removed 2.) when unbolted ;-) move it side
            > side
            > > while pulling up HARD 2.) when reinstalling use a good amount of
            > fuel all
            > > over the O-ring to lubricate it or you will be there all night
            > trying to get
            > > it on the fuel rail(GRIN).
            > > Best of luck,
            > > -Dana Sion

          • Agent Midnight
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 23, 2006
              www.theurodepot.com has a new one for $49.99
              here is a picture http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/C300012996BOS.JPG
              (I was not sure if posting pictures directly is permited on the list).

              You can also find a new one at www.bavauto.com for $54.95. The part has been
              revised since it was new and its new number is " 0 280 160 248 " and now
              comes painted shiny black :-)
              Good luck
              -Dana

              >I beleive I am experiencing the same problem with my idling. Can
              > you help me by sending more infos like prices, pictures, etc..
              >
              > I would really appreciate it.
              >
              > Thank you so much,
              >
              > Uriel
              > E28 520i 87 Model
              > --- In bmwe28@..., "greg_collen" <greg_collen@y...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> I replace mine because of irregular idle. Frankly, I was guessing
              > and
              >> the part was fairly cheap. It solved the problem right away. I was
              >> amazed.
              >>
              >> --- In bmwe28@..., "Agent Midnight"
              >> <agentmidnight@v...> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > Hello all,
              >> > I know this is a bit off topic of any thing that
              >> > is being talked about right now but I am a but excited ;-).
              >> > For the longest time I have been having idle problem to one
              > degree
              >> or
              >> > another and a big problem of loosing fuel preasure over night
              > and
              >> the car
              >> > having to build up preasure in the morning.
              >> > Well I wasted a lot of time and money of cold start valves, idle
              >> controls
              >> > Etc. and even a new fuel pump. Well...the problem seamed to be
              > the
              >> fuel
              >> > preasure regulaor valve.
              >> > I hope to save others the time I lost :-).
              >> > If you have any of the problems I did and you have an ORIGINAL
              > fuel
              >> > regulator (you can tell because 1.) its not painted shiny black
              > and
              >> 2.) the
              >> > end of the part number is lower then the new ones) REPLACE it
              > they
              >> are
              >> > fairly cheap for a brand new one and 8 year old kid could
              > install
              >> it them
              >> > selfs. If works with springs and a other parts that can fail ove
              >> the years
              >> > so if its original what mess with keepings it. Heck the new ones
              >> look a lot
              >> > nicer if you keep your engine really clean.
              >> > If you install one I have a few hints 1.) when removing make
              > sure
              >> you have
              >> > all the hoses from it removed 2.) when unbolted ;-) move it side
              >> side
              >> > while pulling up HARD 2.) when reinstalling use a good amount of
              >> fuel all
              >> > over the O-ring to lubricate it or you will be there all night
              >> trying to get
              >> > it on the fuel rail(GRIN).
              >> > Best of luck,
              >> > -Dana Sion

              > ---
              > Virus Database (VPS): 0616-4, 04/21/2006
              > Tested on: 4/23/2006 11:55:30

            • uriel protomartir

                >I beleive I am experiencing the same problem with my idling. Can
                > you help me by sending more infos like prices, pictures, etc..
                >
                > I would really appreciate it.
                >
                > Thank you so much,
                >
                > Uriel
                > E28 520i 87 Model
                > --- In bmwe28@..., "greg_collen" <greg_collen@y...>
                > wrote:
                >>
                >> I replace mine because of irregular idle. Frankly, I was guessing
                > and
                >> the part was fairly cheap. It solved the problem right away. I was
                >> amazed.
                >>
                >> --- In bmwe28@..., "Agent Midnight"
                >> <agentmidnight@v...> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > Hello all,
                >> > I know this is a bit off topic of any thing that
                >> > is being talked about right now but I am a but excited ;-).
                >> > For the longest time I have been having idle problem to one
                > degree
                >> or
                >> > another and a big problem of loosing fuel preasure over night
                > and
                >> the car
                >> > having to build up preasure in the morning.
                >> > Well I wasted a lot of time and money of cold start valves, idle
                >> controls
                >> > Etc. and even a new fuel pump. Well...the problem seamed to be
                > the
                >> fuel
                >> > preasure regulaor valve.
                >> > I hope to save others the time I lost :-).
                >> > If you have any of the problems I did and you have an ORIGINAL
                > fuel
                >> > regulator (you can tell because 1.) its not painted shiny black
                > and
                >> 2.) the
                >> > end of the part number is lower then the new ones) REPLACE it
                > they
                >> are
                >> > fairly cheap for a brand new one and 8 year old kid could
                > install
                >> it them
                >> > selfs. If works with springs and a other parts that can fail ove
                >> the years
                >> > so if its original what mess with keepings it. Heck the new ones
                >> look a lot
                >> > nicer if you keep your engine really clean.
                >> > If you install one I have a few hints 1.) when removing make
                > sure
                >> you have
                >> > all the hoses from it removed 2.) when unbolted ;-) move it side
                >> side
                >> > while pulling up HARD 2.) when reinstalling use a good amount of
                >> fuel all
                >> > over the O-ring to lubricate it or you will be there all night
                >> trying to get
                >> > it on the fuel rail(GRIN).
                >> > Best of luck,
                >> > -Dana Sion

                > ---
                > Virus Database (VPS): 0616-4, 04/21/2006
                > Tested on: 4/23/2006 11:55:30

              • Steve Haygood
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 24, 2006
                  Or...send an email, I've got them for 48.50 as well

                  Steve Haygood
                  BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
                  03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
                  03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

                  >I beleive I am experiencing the same problem with my idling. Can
                  > you help me by sending more infos like prices, pictures, etc..
                  >
                  > I would really appreciate it.
                  >
                  > Thank you so much,
                  >
                  > Uriel
                  > E28 520i 87 Model
                  > --- In bmwe28@..., "greg_collen" <greg_collen@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I replace mine because of irregular idle. Frankly, I was guessing
                  > and
                  >> the part was fairly cheap. It solved the problem right away. I was
                  >> amazed.
                  >>
                  >> --- In bmwe28@..., "Agent Midnight"
                  >> <agentmidnight@v...> wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > Hello all,
                  >> > I know this is a bit off topic of any thing that
                  >> > is being talked about right now but I am a but excited ;-).
                  >> > For the longest time I have been having idle problem to one
                  > degree
                  >> or
                  >> > another and a big problem of loosing fuel preasure over night
                  > and
                  >> the car
                  >> > having to build up preasure in the morning.
                  >> > Well I wasted a lot of time and money of cold start valves, idle
                  >> controls
                  >> > Etc. and even a new fuel pump. Well...the problem seamed to be
                  > the
                  >> fuel
                  >> > preasure regulaor valve.
                  >> > I hope to save others the time I lost :-).
                  >> > If you have any of the problems I did and you have an ORIGINAL
                  > fuel
                  >> > regulator (you can tell because 1.) its not painted shiny black
                  > and
                  >> 2.) the
                  >> > end of the part number is lower then the new ones) REPLACE it
                  > they
                  >> are
                  >> > fairly cheap for a brand new one and 8 year old kid could
                  > install
                  >> it them
                  >> > selfs. If works with springs and a other parts that can fail ove
                  >> the years
                  >> > so if its original what mess with keepings it. Heck the new ones
                  >> look a lot
                  >> > nicer if you keep your engine really clean.
                  >> > If you install one I have a few hints 1.) when removing make
                  > sure
                  >> you have
                  >> > all the hoses from it removed 2.) when unbolted ;-) move it side
                  >> side
                  >> > while pulling up HARD 2.) when reinstalling use a good amount of
                  >> fuel all
                  >> > over the O-ring to lubricate it or you will be there all night
                  >> trying to get
                  >> > it on the fuel rail(GRIN).
                  >> > Best of luck,
                  >> > -Dana Sion

                  > ---
                  > Virus Database (VPS): 0616-4, 04/21/2006
                  > Tested on: 4/23/2006 11:55:30

                • Guy DiCesare
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 24, 2006
                    ello everyone. I saw a variable pressure regulator
                    (about 150 dollars) at bavauto's website. Any thought
                    s on whether this is a goopd idea? Also, I had my
                    regulator replaced about 6 months ago and it made NO
                    difference. Is it likely that I got a bad part? Just
                    thinking out loud. Still have a miss and a rough
                    idle. Thanks Guy

                    === message truncated ===

                  • carlosmciver
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 29, 2006
                      --- In bmwe28@..., "Uriel Francisco M Protomartir"
                      <umproto@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > so if its original what mess with keepings it. Heck the new
                      ones
                      > > look a lot
                      > > > nicer if you keep your engine really clean.
                      > > > If you install one I have a few hints 1.) when removing make
                      > sure
                      > > you have
                      > > > all the hoses from it removed 2.) when unbolted ;-) move it
                      side
                      > > side
                      > > > while pulling up HARD 2.) when reinstalling use a good amount
                      of
                      > > fuel all
                      > > > over the O-ring to lubricate it or you will be there all night
                      > > trying to get
                      > > > it on the fuel rail(GRIN).
                      > > > Best of luck,
                      > > > -Dana Sion
                      > > >

                      >hi, when you had the rough idle, were you also getting black smoke
                      out the exhaust??
                    • carlosmciver
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 29, 2006