hard brake pedal w/engaged brakes

  • Samuel Cochran
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16, 2006
      Hello all,
      My '88 535is has a braking problem when in heavy stop and go traffic (the
      worst time for it). The brake pedal will get really hard about an inch or so
      into braking, the pedal will then only engage from that position down. Also,
      when this happens the brakes themselves are engaged after I have stop
      putting pressure on the pedal. At first, they aren't that engaged but as
      they stay engaged they really heat up and then engage even more. To the
      point that I can barely get over 20mph... (when this started to happen, I
      was in a traffic filled tunnel, and had to get out before I could pull over
      )

      I am having my mechanic take a look at it, as I don't have the time to
      tinker at the moment.
      Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, what was the culprit? It
      would help to have a starting point, if this is a common problem.

      Thank you for what help you can give,
      Sam C.
    • daipress@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16, 2006
        Dear Sam,
        If your car is a right hand drive one, this is a common problem.
        There are transverse rods linking the pedal box with the master
        cylinder, which is still on the left hand side of the car (ie the car
        being designed to have it's pedals on the other side). They run
        across the middle of the front bulkhead, under the windscreen. The
        linkages for these rods seize up, making all the brakes bind. It's
        often mistaken for a master cylinder problem, which, if your car is
        left hand drive, it most probably would be.. The answer very often is
        to spray soak these linkages in WD40 or some other penetrating oil,
        or better still dismantle the mechanisms and re-grease the whole
        thing. Low mileage cars that stand around a lot tend to suffer much
        more than well used ones.
        Regards,
        DRJ.
        On 17 Apr 2006, at 06:54, Samuel Cochran wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > My '88 535is has a braking problem when in heavy stop and go
        > traffic (the
        > worst time for it). The brake pedal will get really hard about an
        > inch or so
        > into braking, the pedal will then only engage from that position
        > down. Also,
        > when this happens the brakes themselves are engaged after I have stop
        > putting pressure on the pedal. At first, they aren't that engaged
        > but as
        > they stay engaged they really heat up and then engage even more.
        > To the
        > point that I can barely get over 20mph... (when this started to
        > happen, I
        > was in a traffic filled tunnel, and had to get out before I could
        > pull over
        > )
        >
        > I am having my mechanic take a look at it, as I don't have the time to
        > tinker at the moment.
        > Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, what was the
        > culprit? It
        > would help to have a starting point, if this is a common problem.
        >
        > Thank you for what help you can give,
        > Sam C.

      • John
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2006
          --- In bmwe28@..., "Samuel Cochran" <scochran426@h...>
          wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > My '88 535is has a braking problem when in heavy stop ..

          Well Sam I haven't had that problem but it sounds like binding brake
          calipers,you should be able to dismantle the offending units and free
          them up just do it in pairs (fronts or backs)regards JOHN.