RE: [bmw e28] wiring diagram

  • Michael Orr
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 24, 2006
      Hi, did you get a resolution to this? E28planet has copies of all the
      Electronic Troubleshooting Manuals for download:

      http://www.e28planet.com/etm.php

      Good luck!

      Michael

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 27, 2006
        Hi Michael, do they also have a complete troubleshooting manual for E28 520i for free?

        thanks
        Uriel

        Michael Orr <M.Orr@...> wrote: Hi, did you get a resolution to this? E28planet has copies of all the

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 27, 2006
          I believe the manuals cover all e28 models for the given year. Did you check out the link?

          When I first saw them I was hoping for a step-by-step list of instructions on how to trace common problems but I guess it's just you, the diagrams, and a multitester tool!

          Michael

          Message 4 of 17 , May 17, 2006
            My dear E28 friends,
            I have a problem, Tires Plus in Jacksonville put my
            new rims and tires on, when they did however I believe
            that they tightened the tire bolts down too much. I
            tried putting on new locking lug bolts and by doing so
            broke 5 of 7 lugs. They told me they did everything
            right. I would llike to know how to find out the
            proper torque for those bolts. please help

            Brett Peavey
            Microwave Component Sources
            Ph. 904.721.3711
            Fax. 904-721-3714
            Cell. 904.210.6573
            PV9@...
            www.microwavecomponentsources.com

          • Steve Haygood
            Message 5 of 17 , May 17, 2006
              75 ft lbs

              Steve Haygood
              BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
              03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
              03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

              Message 6 of 17 , May 17, 2006
                are you sure? can you tell me where you found that?
                because they tightened them to 100ft/lbs and if i
                provide documentation that they screwed up i got them
                by the balls!

                Message 7 of 17 , May 17, 2006
                  --- Brett Peavey <pv9@...> wrote:

                  > are you sure? can you tell me where you found that?
                  >
                  > because they tightened them to 100ft/lbs and if i
                  > provide documentation that they screwed up i got
                  > them
                  > by the balls!
                  >
                  > --- Steve Haygood <sfhaygood@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > 75 ft lbs
                  > >

                  > > Steve Haygood
                  > > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
                  > > 03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
                  > > 03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

                • Greg Epps
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 17, 2006
                    If you've got a Bentley service manual, I'm sure it's in there. May even be
                    in your owner's Manual if you still have that.

                    --
                    Greg Epps
                    greg.epps@...

                  • Steve Haygood
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 17, 2006
                      Section 13 page 17 of Bentley manual 74ft lbs plus or minus 7

                      Steve Haygood
                      BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
                      03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
                      03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

                      If you've got a Bentley service manual, I'm sure it's in there. May even be
                      in your owner's Manual if you still have that.

                      On 5/17/06, Brett Peavey <pv9@...> wrote:

                      > --- Brett Peavey <pv9@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > are you sure? can you tell me where you found that?
                      > >
                      > > because they tightened them to 100ft/lbs and if i provide
                      > > documentation that they screwed up i got them by the balls!
                      > >
                      > > --- Steve Haygood <sfhaygood@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > 75 ft lbs
                      > > >

                      > > > Steve Haygood
                      > > > BMW CCA 6 Series Register Director
                      > > > 03/04/05 Official 5er Fest Sponsor
                      > > > 03/04/05 Official Sharkfest Sponsor

                      bject=Unsubscribe>

                      > Service <http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/terms.html>.

                      --
                      Greg Epps
                      greg.epps@...

                    • Blake Nancarrow
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 17, 2006
                        On Wednesday 17 May 2006 3:38 PM, Brett Peavey wrote:
                        > I would llike to know how to find out the
                        > proper torque for those bolts.

                        It is commonly recommended at all Canadian and USA BMW
                        driving schools to torque to 85 or 90 (for aluminum
                        wheels). Slightly higher for steel wheels.

                        Last weekend, for the Datsun 240 race car, we torqued
                        to 95.

                        Most wheel and tire shops have a chart on the wall for
                        all makes and models of cars...

                        regards,
                        Blake

                        88 E30 M3 Flo Jo
                        84 E28 528e Allegria
                        84 E28 528e Mr. Brown
                      • Steve Haygood
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 17, 2006
                          FWIW, I've never had one come off at 75ft lbs. Are the 240Z lugs or nuts ?

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 19, 2006
                            Now Tires Plus is telling me that the type of rim I
                            bought requires a 100lbs torque on the lugs. Not the
                            BMW required 75lbs. Do 18" rims require more torque
                            on the lug bolts than the stock 14"s? Also, he said
                            that the extra 25 lbs is not significant enough to do
                            any damage. Is this man lying to me?

                            Brett Peavey
                            Microwave Component Sources
                            Ph. 904.721.3711
                            Fax. 904-721-3714
                            Cell. 904.210.6573
                            PV9@...
                            www.microwavecomponentsources.com

                          • Joel T. Gonzalez
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 19, 2006
                              Keep it simple and look at this way. You want to have enough torque on your rims that it holds onto the flange. Too much torque at 100 ft.lb. and you are going to get yourself in a bind when you want to take off that rim later on in an emergency. Too little, I would say at around 50 ft.lb. and sooner or later something is going to start backing up that either you end up in a wreck or messing up something else mechanically on your vehicle.
                              Regardless of the car that you may have, I think it is very safe to say at 75lbs. It is not too much and not too little but just right. If it were a truck then we would be dealing with different values but for a car just keep it simple to avoid the usage of foul language when you are trying to take that lug nut that has been on for awhile and at that, at 100 ft. lbs, that is too much and uncalled for!

                              Best regards,

                              Joel T. Gonzalez
                              San Antonio, TX.

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 19, 2006
                                They @ Tires Plus have had my car all day and just
                                called me to tell me that i need a hub conversion kit
                                because the factory bolts werent long enough. I guess
                                it changes me from bolts to lugs? I think they broke
                                the rest of my lug bolts and are now making me convert
                                over.

                                Message 15 of 17 , May 19, 2006
                                  Quoting Brett Peavey <pv9@...>:

                                  > Now Tires Plus is telling me that the type of rim I
                                  > bought requires a 100lbs torque on the lugs.

                                  100 is not too much.

                                  I would argue that even 150 is not too much, if the car will not be used in a
                                  high-performance situation.

                                  The situation with torque of 150 or more is that you cannot easily remove it
                                  yourself at the roadside.

                                  If 200 pounds is used on only one lug or bolt, there's a chance that the wheel
                                  will crack.

                                  cheers,
                                  bla

                                  (sent via Computer Ease webmail)
                                • Carl Jones
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 21, 2006
                                    Hi Brett,

                                    Anything up to about double the factory figure should be fine, I am doing
                                    this from memory but I think the BMW wheel bolts are 14mm, and if so, a 8.8
                                    tensile strength bolt would have no problem with 250 ft/lbs.

                                    I do mine up to 100 ft/lbs because I have sticky tyres on, no problems.
                                    However, when I bought the car, I snapped 4 of the wheels bolts off even
                                    before the torque wrench clicked off at 80 because there was corrosion on
                                    the bolts where the bolts entered the hub. This was a common problem with
                                    E28's at the time according to my local BMW dealer.

                                    Regards,

                                    Carl.

                                    :
                                    : Brett Peavey
                                    : Microwave Component Sources
                                    : Ph. 904.721.3711
                                    : Fax. 904-721-3714
                                    : Cell. 904.210.6573
                                    : PV9@...
                                    : www.microwavecomponentsources.com
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    : __________________________________________________
                                    : Do You Yahoo!?
                                    : Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                                    : http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    :
                                    :
                                    : To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                                    :
                                    :
                                    : Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                  • Steve Haygood
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 22, 2006
                                      Did he use a torque stick ? How did he measure the torque ? What type of
                                      rim did you buy ?
                                      Steve